Topics

#ubitx Current draw when transmitting? #ubitx

Ghericoan

Been using the ubitx to transmit digital modes such as WSPR and PSK31, however the current draw
has me wondering. I've searched around but haven't found a clear answer on what the ubitx should
pulling for amperage on 12 volts. I get in the range of 1.4-1.8 amps, SWR depending; is this correct?
--
----------
N5WLF, Greggory (or my nickname, Ghericoan)

jsullivan10512016@...

In all the  writing  on ubitx website, I read that the power supply should supply  up to 3 amps, but elsewhere, on same site, I read that  the 12 volt regulated line should be fused, at  2 to 2.5 amps.    Do you get  same range, of 1.4 to 1.8 amps, when transmitting, as I suspect transmit mode will probably draw more current than in receive mode?    I tend to think that 2 amp fast blow fuse; perhaps 2.5 A at the most, is appropriate.

Ghericoan

When just receiving, the current drawis only 0.16A. When I go to transmit it runs around 1.4-1.8 amps depending on the SWR. I have a 2A fuse inline with the power feeding both the radio and final amplifier. I was just wondering if that current draw on transmit sounds about right, cause it also varies by band, with a significant drop on 30 meters to only 1.01 amps transmit.

On the other hand, skipping my antenna tuner brings the current draw up to nearly 2.2 amps, but thats most likely from the resulting SWR cause the finals run toasty in that condition.
--
----------
N5WLF, Greggory (or my nickname, Ghericoan)
General Class, Digital Radio Hobbyist

KD8CGH

It's in the right range. The draw and output depend heavily on frequency. You can see the draw I measured key down into a dummy load at different frequencies in this post https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40043

Ghericoan

Okay, so I am not going bonkers over the changes in amperage. Something else that I noticed, psk31 on 40m pulls 1.5 amps, but feld-hell pulls only 0.8 amps...any idea why?
--
----------
N5WLF, Greggory (or my nickname, Ghericoan)
General Class, Digital Radio Hobbyist

Thomas Sharka

SSB only draws current when you speak into the microphone or in the case of digital, transmit a frequency.

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

On Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:53 PM, Ghericoan <boakawizkid@...> wrote:

Okay, so I am not going bonkers over the changes in amperage. Something else that I noticed, psk31 on 40m pulls 1.5 amps, but feld-hell pulls only 0.8 amps...any idea why?
--
N5WLF, Greggory (or my nickname, Ghericoan)
General Class, Digital Radio Hobbyist

Ghericoan

Touching back on this, it's feld-hell's lower duty cycle that was causing the lower current draw.
--