Topics

UPLOAD FIRMWARE IN RADUINO

Michel Dupuy

Hello ,
I want to know if to load the firmware in the Raduino it is necessary to feed the raduino card or only the USB port via the PC. Thank you . Michel

q q

Michel Dupuy

Thank you qq for the procedure (I know). This is to know if the ubitx must be powered or not when transferring. Thank you

Neil Martinsen-Burrell

The uBitx does not need to be powered to upload the firmware. The Arduino nano will power itself from the USB 5V when connected to the computer for uploading.

-Neil N0FN

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Michel Dupuy <82f1gtx@...> wrote:
Thank you qq for the procedure (I know). This is to know if the ubitx must be powered or not when transferring. Thank you

M Garza <mgarza896@...>

I always remove the power before upgrading.  The Raduino will get power from the USB connector & computer, while being programmed.

Marco - KG5PRT

On Jan 31, 2018 9:19 AM, "Michel Dupuy" <82f1gtx@...> wrote:
Thank you qq for the procedure (I know). This is to know if the ubitx must be powered or not when transferring. Thank you

KC9SGV <kc9sgv@...>

And the red LED on the nano will be on.

KC9SGV

On Jan 31, 2018, at 9:25 AM, M Garza <mgarza896@...> wrote:

I always remove the power before upgrading.  The Raduino will get power from the USB connector & computer, while being programmed.

Marco - KG5PRT

On Jan 31, 2018 9:19 AM, "Michel Dupuy" <82f1gtx@...> wrote:
Thank you qq for the procedure (I know). This is to know if the ubitx must be powered or not when transferring. Thank you

Michel Dupuy

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

Michel

Michael Hagen

I removed the Red Led on BitX Nano.    Folks running on small batteries could save a few silly Ma.  I guess you could turn it off in setup too.

Mike, WA6ISP

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street

John Backo

What are those lights on the nano anyway? And do I need them?

There are usually 4 leds on the nano. They are usually in a row and
labeled "RX TX PWR L".

The RX and TX lights are connected to the lines that connect both the USB
interface and the ATMega628P. They connect to TX0 and RX0. They are very
useful as their flashing shows that communication is taking place during an
upload. Likewise, if RX flashes once and then not again during an upload,
there is a communications problem. Usually they are red and green; some may
be orange. Messing with them will probably mess up RX0 and TX0. It is
best to leave them alone. They are always out (low) with no serial communication
to the chip. If they stay on, something is wrong...

PWR refers to a direct connection to the voltage regulated 5v line. It is NOT
connected to the input voltage, whatever that may be. It is an indication that
the board has power either from Vin or USB. That is all it does. It is usually
red though I have seen many orange lights. It is useful, but it could be eliminated,
I guess.

L is connected to D13. It is a good light and should not be disconnected. If the
ATMega has a bootloader (which it should in a nano) this will flash three times
when the reset button is pushed and released. That is not guaranteed because
earlier versions of the bootloader did not show themselves through D13. And
if the ubiquitous Blink program is loaded, it will falsh D13. That alone makes it
a good light to retain. It is your "diagnostic visual indicator".

Anyway, that is what those leds do.

Hope this helps.