Topics

UBITX Touch Control TFT Display

Joe
 

Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed

Brien Wankel
 

Looks great! Any interest in providing some sort of "how-to" and code for guys like me who want to do this as well?

- Brien K7XPO

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed


Joe
 

Sure, we have already done this for the bitx40
And released software, videos etc
Under youtube vu2spf and facebook as well as here in the groups
They are for the bitx but the new code for ubitx has all the same features.

I have 2 of my 3 bitx running the basic same code. They work and look great.

http:// vu2spf.blogspot.ca

This has info etc on the code, features hardware
etc
The current posts are for Bitx and other projects.

The full UBITX info will be posted soon
Arduino sketch
Hardware options
Parts
There is an article in QRP magazine that was just released

It is currently working very well on 80, 40 tx rx
But we have some issues on 20, 17 15 tx.
Need a week or so to iron it out.

Rx ok all bands
We are hoping to add cat control next.
So far the radio is a very very quiet receiver.
Great signals comparing to good commercial rigs.

Joe
VE1BWV


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018, 6:23 PM Brien Wankel <brien@...> wrote:
Looks great! Any interest in providing some sort of "how-to" and code for guys like me who want to do this as well?

- Brien K7XPO


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed


Brien Wankel
 

Excellent, thank you, Joe!

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:

Sure, we have already done this for the bitx40
And released software, videos etc
Under youtube vu2spf and facebook as well as here in the groups
They are for the bitx but the new code for ubitx has all the same features.

I have 2 of my 3 bitx running the basic same code. They work and look great.

http:// vu2spf.blogspot.ca

This has info etc on the code, features hardware
etc
The current posts are for Bitx and other projects.

The full UBITX info will be posted soon
Arduino sketch
Hardware options
Parts
There is an article in QRP magazine that was just released

It is currently working very well on 80, 40 tx rx
But we have some issues on 20, 17 15 tx.
Need a week or so to iron it out.

Rx ok all bands
We are hoping to add cat control next.
So far the radio is a very very quiet receiver.
Great signals comparing to good commercial rigs.

Joe
VE1BWV


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018, 6:23 PM Brien Wankel <brien@...> wrote:
Looks great! Any interest in providing some sort of "how-to" and code for guys like me who want to do this as well?

- Brien K7XPO


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed



Art Howard
 

Wow I really like this 👍

On 26 Jan 2018 4:14 pm, "Joe" <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed

AA7GW
 

Nice

Sent from my iPhone
AA7GW

On Jan 26, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Brien Wankel <brien@...> wrote:

Looks great! Any interest in providing some sort of "how-to" and code for guys like me who want to do this as well?

- Brien K7XPO

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed
<20180125_200543.jpg>


Joe
 

Brein,

I use the following: HARDWARE

DISPLAY - Optimum size - 2.8inch TFT - I have tried several types and sizes from various companies - hit and miss. some work but poor clarity etc.

Having used the elegoo 2.8 inch  TFT Display with pen - from "amazon" has resulted in 100 percent working, clear, clean, crisp displays.
I have ordered 4 over time and quality is persistent. Price  around $15.00 shipped.  Best choice


Arduino Module : Atmega 2560 - Ebay is cheapest source at less then $10.00...  Any Atmega 2560 will work..
I have many different company modules and have found they all work great...

DDS module -  SI5351  module (not just the chip)- available from Ebay or Adafruit direct or amazon around $11.00


Female single jacks to solder to the rear of the Atmega....

I use this method to get access to the pins from the rear of the atmega 2560 as the front is facing the front radio panel with the display plugged directly into it.
There is no room to get access to the pins
I have done this on 3 rigs - bitx40 and 1 ubitx
This method minimizes the wires from atmega to the ubitx board.

.
You can also use an interface board which vu2spf has developed - he has the pics but no pcb for sale.

Jumpers - makes it nice a clean 
1 Jumper cable (2 pin) male to female for connection of sda and sdc from atmega to dds Si5351
1 Jumper female to female 8 pin from atmaga to ubitx board
3 cables for the clocks from Si5351 to the Ubitx.  - shielded cable is best

I feed the rig with 13.5 volts - well filtered non switching powersupply

I also use 2 buck voltage adjustable down converters (around $1.50 each ebay)

For 1- -- I  feed the 13.5 volt to it and adjust it down to 9v volts to feed the atmega 2560 - keeps it cooler than running full input voltage
I also add 2  filter caps -  one 2000 mfd caps on the input the other on the output along  with a 2- 10 ohm resistor on the ouput in series to act as a filter and hash filter isolation.


The second converter is used to feed the SI 5351 module - I adjust it to 5 volts - same filters as for the first   - keeps the unit isolated and cuts noise.


This results in a very quiet rig and everything nice and cool.

Not required but has not failed me in 3 bitx an 1 ubitx rigs... rigs always result in a quiet rig..

I will send pin diagram next go around

Code will be available in a few weeks - 




ABOVE - rear of the atmega - black plastic to hold atmega and cables and connectors added

2 buck down voltage converters - with blue leds


rear left of atmega with added single line female connectors top and side and bottom

NOTE:

You probably will want to install a pop click fix - Eliminates a loud pop / click whenever tx is turned on and off.

uses 1 1n4148 diode, a 470k resistor, a .22 cap and a 2n7000 mosfet......  Works amazing.....well.

This just mounts on the rear of the volume pot
 
above is view of mod - disregard the 104 cap.. this uses a bs170 but i use a 2n7000 - pin out is a little different
The pic above displays the raduino connection but works with the atmega t/r pin as well( red wire was raduino connection but i use the atmega 2560 t/r
pin 26 (ubitx)

my values are 470k and .22uf cap with a 2n7000 mosfet

This should get you going......

Joe
VE1BWV


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM, AA7GW <garywixom@q.com> wrote:
Nice

Sent from my iPhone
AA7GW

On Jan 26, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Brien Wankel <brien@...> wrote:

Looks great! Any interest in providing some sort of "how-to" and code for guys like me who want to do this as well?

- Brien K7XPO

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Joe <joeman2116@...> wrote:
Finishing up the case for my UBITX
The display provides full touch control along with physical optional buttons.
100 memory channels
Tuneable Bfo
Vfo A B M
All bands selectable from front display
Uses cheap tft touch displays i use a 2.8
Low cost - Atmega 2560 for lots of pins and better perfomance.
Si5351 for dds

More to come.......

Coded by VU2SPF 
Tech support VE1BWV

73
Joe
VE1BWV

First phase nearly completed
<20180125_200543.jpg>



Jerry Gaffke
 

I had never heard of elegoo.com, that looks like a good steer.
They have some nice Arduino starter kits.
However, their 2.8" TFT display is not well documented, and burns an awful lot of pins.

Here's a reply to a question up on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B01EUVJYME/4/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true
      I just went through all of the pins marked on the board and the code for the support libraries.
      It appears that the display hogs all of the pins with the exception of the A5 and the serial I/O pins 0 and 1.
      This pretty much precludes the use of any other peripheral devices using Wire, SPI, or I2C.
      The SD card uses digital pins 10 through 13, so if you don't need the SD card, you can snip those pins off
      (and don't include the SD library in your project). Otherwise the options are limited.

Not what I'm looking for.  
I'd prefer a display with just a 4 wire SPI interface, and power and ground.
Recommendations solicited.

Regarding the si5351 PLL chip breakout board, in addition to adafruit.com, there is also etherkit.com and qrp-labs.com
Hans of qrp-labs is active on this forum, a kit for his board is $7.75
    https://qrp-labs.com/synth.html
The others come fully soldered up, which some may prefer.

Jerry, KE7ER




On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 06:42 pm, Joe wrote:
Brein,
 
I use the following: HARDWARE
 
DISPLAY - Optimum size - 2.8inch TFT - I have tried several types and sizes from various companies - hit and miss. some work but poor clarity etc.
 
Having used the elegoo 2.8 inch  TFT Display with pen - from "amazon" has resulted in 100 percent working, clear, clean, crisp displays.
I have ordered 4 over time and quality is persistent. Price  around $15.00 shipped.  Best choice
 
 
Arduino Module : Atmega 2560 - Ebay is cheapest source at less then $10.00...  Any Atmega 2560 will work..
I have many different company modules and have found they all work great...
 
DDS module -  SI5351  module (not just the chip)- available from Ebay or Adafruit direct or amazon around $11.00
 

Joe
 

All valid inputs.
But with the atmega2560 the user has more inputs and output pins then one could ever use.  With the radio all wired I would estimate more than 25 spare pins

Joe
VE1BWV


On Sat, Jan 27, 2018, 11:40 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had never heard of elegoo.com, that looks like a good steer.
They have some nice Arduino starter kits.
However, their 2.8" TFT display is not well documented, and burns an awful lot of pins.

Here's a reply to a question up on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B01EUVJYME/4/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true
      I just went through all of the pins marked on the board and the code for the support libraries.
      It appears that the display hogs all of the pins with the exception of the A5 and the serial I/O pins 0 and 1.
      This pretty much precludes the use of any other peripheral devices using Wire, SPI, or I2C.
      The SD card uses digital pins 10 through 13, so if you don't need the SD card, you can snip those pins off
      (and don't include the SD library in your project). Otherwise the options are limited.

Not what I'm looking for.  
I'd prefer a display with just a 4 wire SPI interface, and power and ground.
Recommendations solicited.

Regarding the si5351 PLL chip breakout board, in addition to adafruit.com, there is also etherkit.com and qrp-labs.com
Hans of qrp-labs is active on this forum, a kit for his board is $7.75
    https://qrp-labs.com/synth.html
The others come fully soldered up, which some may prefer.

Jerry, KE7ER




On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 06:42 pm, Joe wrote:
Brein,
 
I use the following: HARDWARE
 
DISPLAY - Optimum size - 2.8inch TFT - I have tried several types and sizes from various companies - hit and miss. some work but poor clarity etc.
 
Having used the elegoo 2.8 inch  TFT Display with pen - from "amazon" has resulted in 100 percent working, clear, clean, crisp displays.
I have ordered 4 over time and quality is persistent. Price  around $15.00 shipped.  Best choice
 
 
Arduino Module : Atmega 2560 - Ebay is cheapest source at less then $10.00...  Any Atmega 2560 will work..
I have many different company modules and have found they all work great...
 
DDS module -  SI5351  module (not just the chip)- available from Ebay or Adafruit direct or amazon around $11.00
 

Michael Hagen
 

Re guarding SI5351 Boards, I still have Bare PCBs that are stand alone I2C 5V driven.

They can have headers top or bottom for connectors or plug in.

They both have proper level translation for I2C with 3.3V regulators.

The larger one is Lotsa Clocks, has the 20 Pin SI5351 with extra address jumper and 8 Clocks.

Here is a picture of them.  Bare and stuffed.

The bare PCB is $4 and $6 for Lotsa Clocks.  Include postage US and PayPal.

email me direct if interested.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP


On 1/27/2018 7:40 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
I had never heard of elegoo.com, that looks like a good steer.
They have some nice Arduino starter kits.
However, their 2.8" TFT display is not well documented, and burns an awful lot of pins.

Here's a reply to a question up on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B01EUVJYME/4/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true
      I just went through all of the pins marked on the board and the code for the support libraries.
      It appears that the display hogs all of the pins with the exception of the A5 and the serial I/O pins 0 and 1.
      This pretty much precludes the use of any other peripheral devices using Wire, SPI, or I2C.
      The SD card uses digital pins 10 through 13, so if you don't need the SD card, you can snip those pins off
      (and don't include the SD library in your project). Otherwise the options are limited.

Not what I'm looking for.  
I'd prefer a display with just a 4 wire SPI interface, and power and ground.
Recommendations solicited.

Regarding the si5351 PLL chip breakout board, in addition to adafruit.com, there is also etherkit.com and qrp-labs.com
Hans of qrp-labs is active on this forum, a kit for his board is $7.75
    https://qrp-labs.com/synth.html
The others come fully soldered up, which some may prefer.

Jerry, KE7ER




On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 06:42 pm, Joe wrote:
Brein,
 
I use the following: HARDWARE
 
DISPLAY - Optimum size - 2.8inch TFT - I have tried several types and sizes from various companies - hit and miss. some work but poor clarity etc.
 
Having used the elegoo 2.8 inch  TFT Display with pen - from "amazon" has resulted in 100 percent working, clear, clean, crisp displays.
I have ordered 4 over time and quality is persistent. Price  around $15.00 shipped.  Best choice
 
 
Arduino Module : Atmega 2560 - Ebay is cheapest source at less then $10.00...  Any Atmega 2560 will work..
I have many different company modules and have found they all work great...
 
DDS module -  SI5351  module (not just the chip)- available from Ebay or Adafruit direct or amazon around $11.00
 

-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Glenn
 

Have a look at the Digole range of displays. They can be driven via UART, I2C or SPI. Jumper selectable on the back.

Various sizes available. They have an on board PIC which simplifies the usage of them and reduces code space required in Arduino.

They are not the cheapest displays around but having bought serval and with no problems of poor quality, can reccommend them.

http://www.digole.com/index.php?categoryID=153

glenn

vk3pe



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Joe
 

The device the review refers to, was for an UNO and not the atmega2560, huge difference in number pins and performance.
We only suggest an Atmega 2560.  Low cost,and tons of Spare I/O a
The UNO is not recommended.

Joe
VE1BWV


On Jan 27, 2018 at 4:57 PM, <Joe> wrote:

All valid inputs.
But with the atmega2560 the user has more inputs and output pins then one could ever use.  With the radio all wired I would estimate more than 25 spare pins

Joe
VE1BWV


On Sat, Jan 27, 2018, 11:40 AM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had never heard of elegoo.com, that looks like a good steer.
They have some nice Arduino starter kits.
However, their 2.8" TFT display is not well documented, and burns an awful lot of pins.

Here's a reply to a question up on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B01EUVJYME/4/ref=ask_ql_psf_ql_hza?isAnswered=true
      I just went through all of the pins marked on the board and the code for the support libraries.
      It appears that the display hogs all of the pins with the exception of the A5 and the serial I/O pins 0 and 1.
      This pretty much precludes the use of any other peripheral devices using Wire, SPI, or I2C.
      The SD card uses digital pins 10 through 13, so if you don't need the SD card, you can snip those pins off
      (and don't include the SD library in your project). Otherwise the options are limited.

Not what I'm looking for.  
I'd prefer a display with just a 4 wire SPI interface, and power and ground.
Recommendations solicited.

Regarding the si5351 PLL chip breakout board, in addition to adafruit.com, there is also etherkit.com and qrp-labs.com
Hans of qrp-labs is active on this forum, a kit for his board is $7.75
    https://qrp-labs.com/synth.html
The others come fully soldered up, which some may prefer.

Jerry, KE7ER




On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 06:42 pm, Joe wrote:
Brein,
 
I use the following: HARDWARE
 
DISPLAY - Optimum size - 2.8inch TFT - I have tried several types and sizes from various companies - hit and miss. some work but poor clarity etc.
 
Having used the elegoo 2.8 inch  TFT Display with pen - from "amazon" has resulted in 100 percent working, clear, clean, crisp displays.
I have ordered 4 over time and quality is persistent. Price  around $15.00 shipped.  Best choice
 
 
Arduino Module : Atmega 2560 - Ebay is cheapest source at less then $10.00...  Any Atmega 2560 will work..
I have many different company modules and have found they all work great...
 
DDS module -  SI5351  module (not just the chip)- available from Ebay or Adafruit direct or amazon around $11.00
 

harleyleenuke
 

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 02:14 pm, Joe wrote:
VE1BWV

Hello,
 I have installed the display and firmware and it mostly works great.  Except, I can not get the microphone to key the radio. I also cannot get my cw paddle to key the radio.
 I believe I have everything wired correctly, per the drawing.   
 Thanks for the great firmware and touch display. 
Thanks,
 Vern

Bo Barry <wn4ghv@...>
 

I built one but doesn't look as nice yet. On the bench for testing.
Thanks tips. I only have one buck converter for the mega
Going to 'scope out all lines soon.
Is the cap.22uF or 0,44uF?  🤔
Bo W4GHV 

Bo Barry <wn4ghv@...>
 

One more comment
Anyone found a good cutout panel for the 2.8 display? I'm terrible with a hacksaw.  Bo W4GHV 

Joe
 

I used a .22ufd but it is not critical so near anything close will work.


On Mon, Jun 11, 2018, 10:39 AM Bo Barry <wn4ghv@...> wrote:
I built one but doesn't look as nice yet. On the bench for testing.
Thanks tips. I only have one buck converter for the mega
Going to 'scope out all lines soon.
Is the cap.22uF or 0,44uF?  🤔
Bo W4GHV 

harleyleenuke
 

Joe,
 I have my TFT Display working fine. PTT and all.

I have a question regarding bfo calibration.  I am able to align it but unable to Save the bfo caiibration.  I press the V
Save button on the screen and it quicky flashes.  Then when I turn the radio off and back on, it reverts to a default, i think.   I lose my previous calibrations. 

Also, should I have t save LSB cal.  and also USB Cal. separatly?

Thanks,
 Vern

Joe
 

Hi,

Glad its working

1. The save function is for the mem channels

2.  In the code there are locations where you can enter your actual bfo1 reading
Around lines 183-185


3. Also there is a location called offset which allows you to compensate if your off freq. Around line 80
Volatile unit32_t if_offset =  -300; //  you enter your offset if it is off freq.

4. In the next version you will be able to set an offset for each band.

Joe
VE1BWV



On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, 7:06 PM harleyleenuke <vfrank59@...> wrote:
Joe,
 I have my TFT Display working fine. PTT and all.

I have a question regarding bfo calibration.  I am able to align it but unable to Save the bfo caiibration.  I press the V
Save button on the screen and it quicky flashes.  Then when I turn the radio off and back on, it reverts to a default, i think.   I lose my previous calibrations. 

Also, should I have t save LSB cal.  and also USB Cal. separatly?

Thanks,
 Vern

harleyleenuke
 

Joe,
 Terrific, I will adjust the code. 
Thanks,
Vern