Topics

Caveat Emptor!

John P

I just received 3 of the MCUFriend 3.5" TFT displays purchased from "accecity2006" on eBay. One of the 3 worked correctly; one was cracked and another one was not displaying text correctly.
--
John - WA2FZW

Ken

Contact the seller and have them replaced.

Ken VA3ABN

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:47 PM, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:
I just received 3 of the MCUFriend 3.5" TFT displays purchased from "accecity2006" on eBay. One of the 3 worked correctly; one was cracked and another one was not displaying text correctly.
--
John - WA2FZW

Dennis Zabawa

It is quite possible that the vendor is selling slightly defective culls from the production line.  Reputable manufacturers clearly mark such items to prevent them from being sold as fully working items.  Others sell them off with no warning, while others destroy them.  Luck of the draw

Arv Evans

John

My experience with high density displays is not any better.  I have 5 of the small 0.92 inch
displays but have not been able to get any of them to work.  These are TWI or I2C interface
and my Arduino does not recognize any.  I have tried the example code, the TWI address search
code, and my own TWI interface code, all to no avail.    At present I seem to be limited to using
the old standard 1602 LCDs, 4-line 16 char LCDs, and using the ttl/USB interface to show Arduino
outputs on my PC.

Given my non-success experience with the 0.92 inch screens I have been hesitant to invest in
larger wire-bus connected displays.  Your experience seems to say it is good that I have not
purchased larger displays.

I wonder who, if anybody, has had good luck with these type screens?  The wire.h library
seems straight-forward and easy to use, but it just does not work with displays I have tried.
I even used the example code without making any modifications and it still doesn't work.

Arv
_._

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:
I just received 3 of the MCUFriend 3.5" TFT displays purchased from "accecity2006" on eBay. One of the 3 worked correctly; one was cracked and another one was not displaying text correctly.
--
John - WA2FZW

Sr Shobe

Have done business with same person....the way they are packed and handled by China mail, it is a miracle that anything makes it thru to the US....Mine made it okay......so far!!! Knock on lotsa wood!
Steve/N0AAH

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
[...]

Jack Purdum

Do you have the correct I2C address for the displays? You might check that. See:

 Jack, W8TEE

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:01 pm, Ken wrote:
Contact the seller and have them replaced.
Did that! But thanks for the reminder! Waiting for a response.

--
John - WA2FZW

John P

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:
Do you have the correct I2C address for the displays?
They're not I2C displays; they're the 3.5: TFTs for the analyzed.

--
John - WA2FZW

Ken

If they don't replace them, start a claim with ebay

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:01 pm, Ken wrote:
Contact the seller and have them replaced.
Did that! But thanks for the reminder! Waiting for a response.

--
John - WA2FZW

Jack Purdum

"I have 5 of the small 0.92 inchdisplays but have not been able to get any of them to work.  These are TWI or I2C interface
and my Arduino does not recognize any."

Before you get mouthy, check the initial post.

Jack, W8TEE

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:
Do you have the correct I2C address for the displays?
They're not I2C displays; they're the 3.5: TFTs for the analyzed.

--
John - WA2FZW

Vince Vielhaber

Now settle down or I'm sending you to your rooom without dinner!

John wasn't the one with the 0.92 displays. Check your own post!

Vince.

On 01/26/2018 04:30 PM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
"I have 5 of the small 0.92 inchdisplays but have not been able to get
any of them to work. These are TWI or I2C interface
and my Arduino does not recognize any."

Before you get mouthy, check the initial post.

Jack, W8TEE

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:

Do you have the correct I2C address for the displays?

They're not I2C displays; they're the 3.5: TFTs for the analyzed.

--
John - WA2FZW

Jack Purdum

I wasn't responding to John. The one I responded to, #40373, was on the same thread, and contained the quote that I posted. When I saw his post, I responded (#40375) . John jumped on me seven posts later (40382) because I mentioned the I2C issue, which are a problem for some OLED displays. Had he read back through the thread, he would have seen what I was responding to.

So, no, I'm not going to my room.

Jack, W8TEE

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.  http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Arv Evans

John, and others...

Yes...apologies to everyone that was confused by my post regarding the 0.92 inch displays.

I have been working with a different John on similar problems and just assumed that this
post was by the same John.  I should have read over the original post much more closely.
The John I have been working with is in Australia and is obviously not John - WA2FZW
who posted about his 3.5 inch displays.

I am quite embarrassed and apologetic for my error.  Next time I will RTM (Read The Mail)
before replying.
😢

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:52 PM, Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:
Now settle down or I'm sending you to your rooom without dinner!

John wasn't the one with the 0.92 displays.  Check your own post!

Vince.

On 01/26/2018 04:30 PM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
"I have 5 of the small 0.92 inchdisplays but have not been able to get
any of them to work. These are TWI or I2C interface
and my Arduino does not recognize any."

Before you get mouthy, check the initial post.

Jack, W8TEE

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm, Jack Purdum wrote:

    Do you have the correct I2C address for the displays?

They're not I2C displays; they're the 3.5: TFTs for the analyzed.

--
John - WA2FZW

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

K9HZ <bill@...>

This was originally published by Jim Sheldon for figuring out the address of devices on the I2C.  A great help to me:

There is a little program out there called I2C Scanner that will run on the Nano and goes out looking for I2C addressee's on the bus

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.  http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Jack Purdum

My post also pointed to an I2C scanner program by RobTillaart, as presented on the Arduino Forum. All I was trying to do was suggest a way for Arv or John to check their I2C address on the OLED's.

Jack, W8TEE

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.  http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

K9HZ <bill@...>

Sorry Jack… I’m down on J6 working the 160 contest and don’t have the capability to search the history at the moment.  My bad.

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.  http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com

Arv Evans

Jack W8TEE

I did try the I2C scanner software but it did not find any responding addresses.
Not sure what is going on with these 0.92 inch displays.  Maybe just a totally
defective batch of 5 units.

Arv K7HKL
_._

--

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:47 am, John P wrote:
I just received 3 of the MCUFriend 3.5" TFT displays purchased from "accecity2006" on eBay. One of the 3 worked correctly; one was cracked and another one was not displaying text correctly.
I did get a refund quickly from the seller. That won't get my project up and running any faster though! Anyone have any recommendations on a reliable provider of the MCUFriend 3.5:" TFTs?

--
John - WA2FZW