Topics

Apache Case on Sale

Jack, W8TEE
 

All:

Harbor Freight has their small Apache chase on sale for the month of February. Inside dimensions are:

   Length: 8-3/8"
    Height: 3-3/4"
     Width: 5-11/16"

The case is similar to a small Pelican case, water resistant, and very rugged. If you get their flyer, the coupon is on p. 16. The price is reduced from $15 to $10.

Jack, W8TEE

KE0GYC
 

I love the idea of a "portable field radio" with all the controls on the top in a watertight case like this.  I'm thinking of modeling it after a bitX40 build I saw here, and this case looks like the perfect size!

Is there any reason I couldn't do that with the uBitx?  It looks like the LCD plugs directly into the board, but would it give me noise issues if I used a short length of ribbon cable to move the LCD to face upwards?

daniel.fay@...
 

I'm planning to use the "big" version of the case (the 3800) to also hold things like accessories, battery pack, etc. for my uBitX.

I'm considering putting the LCD on a ribbon cable as well. From my personal experience with other low-speed, single-ended signals, you're probably fine for at least 15cm/6".

-Dan Fay

Jack, W8TEE
 

I think there are a number of people who have moved the display away from the main board to give them some flexibility in terms of display placement. Evidently, some shielding is needed, but I think I recall someone simply wrapping the cable in foil mitigated the problem. I'd like to hear from anyone who has moved the display and what their experience is.

Jack, W8TEE



From: KE0GYC <dragonfanatic90@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Apache Case on Sale

I love the idea of a "portable field radio" with all the controls on the top in a watertight case like this.  I'm thinking of modeling it after a bitX40 build I saw here, and this case looks like the perfect size!

Is there any reason I couldn't do that with the uBitx?  It looks like the LCD plugs directly into the board, but would it give me noise issues if I used a short length of ribbon cable to move the LCD to face upwards?



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Michael Hagen
 

Just use an I2C adapter, then it is 4 wires.  I have a 4 line x 20 on uBit doing that.

I did not shield them, but they could be twisted and shielded and run them away from the Radio PCB?

You can buy the adapter for about $3.


73's Mike, WA6ISP


On 1/26/2018 6:43 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
I think there are a number of people who have moved the display away from the main board to give them some flexibility in terms of display placement. Evidently, some shielding is needed, but I think I recall someone simply wrapping the cable in foil mitigated the problem. I'd like to hear from anyone who has moved the display and what their experience is.

Jack, W8TEE



From: KE0GYC <dragonfanatic90@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Apache Case on Sale

I love the idea of a "portable field radio" with all the controls on the top in a watertight case like this.  I'm thinking of modeling it after a bitX40 build I saw here, and this case looks like the perfect size!

Is there any reason I couldn't do that with the uBitx?  It looks like the LCD plugs directly into the board, but would it give me noise issues if I used a short length of ribbon cable to move the LCD to face upwards?



Virus-free. www.avast.com

-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Vince Vielhaber
 

Thanks! I missed that one. It's good till 3/31 with a limit of 3 too!

Vince.

On 01/26/2018 09:01 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
All:

Harbor Freight has their small Apache chase on sale for the month of
February. */Inside/ *dimensions are:

Length: 8-3/8"
Height: 3-3/4"
Width: 5-11/16"

The case is similar to a small Pelican case, water resistant, and very
rugged. If you get their flyer, the coupon is on p. 16. The price is
reduced from $15 to $10.

Jack, W8TEE

John P
 

Here's a link! This if the January flyer, so it doesn't show the sale price.
--
John - WA2FZW

John McFadden
 

I bought two 1800s, they would not fit my ubitx pcb at the bottom of the case by a fraction of an inch because of the orientation of the raduino and heat sinks on the short axis of the card, they must point to the sides. Leaving the long axis of the card to fit front to back in the case. 

Instead, I selected the Seahorse SE300, more expensive, but also has screw bosses molded into both the case and lid which means easily hanging the PCB from stand offs instead of puncturing the case. 

John

On Jan 26, 2018 10:48 AM, "John P" <j.m.price@...> wrote:
Here's a link! This if the January flyer, so it doesn't show the sale price.
--
John - WA2FZW

Vince Vielhaber
 

The coupon is in the "Final Attempt" flyer for Feb and March. I've yet to see an electronic version of the flyer. It's possible it'll show up after the first of the month on the HF site. I'll post it when I see it.

Vince.

On 01/26/2018 10:47 AM, John P wrote:
_Here's a link! _
<https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-watertight-protective-case-9-316-in-63518.html?utm_source=publitas&utm_medium=monthly-ad&utm_campaign=012018>This
if the January flyer, so it doesn't show the sale price.
--
John - WA2FZW

KD8CGH
 

The connection to my LCD is a real hack job: two 90 degree headers and a cable with a 180 degree twist and it works fine.
    Bob    KD8CGH

Dennis Voorhees
 

I'm Torn about the Sixer conversion. Very cool reuse, but it makes me nostalgic, about my teenage years with one of those rushboxes. A Sixer,  My first "Voice Radio" when I got my general license. I lived on a hill top with a 4 element beam, and worked all over the place with it on 50.4 mhz. I'll bet I have it around here somewhere, don't know if I'd have the heart to tear it apart for the case.  Still, it's a cool idea. 


On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM, KD8CGH <rkayakr@...> wrote:
The connection to my LCD is a real hack job: two 90 degree headers and a cable with a 180 degree twist and it works fine.
    Bob    KD8CGH