Topics

End whistling into the mic

David

Instead of whistling into the mic when using an antenna tuner on SSB, we could easily add a tone generator and switch to do that for us. Thoughts?

Joe

Good idea - use a cheap 555 ic to generate nearly any tone.

Joe
VE1BWV

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:20 PM, David <dokrent@...> wrote:
Instead of whistling into the mic when using an antenna tuner on SSB, we could easily add a tone generator and switch to do that for us. Thoughts?

Jerry Gaffke

From post 22764 of last Feb:

I got tired of saying AHHHHHHH after about 30 seconds, so spent the following 30 seconds adding a line to the Arduino sketch (anywhere) in the setup() function:

    tone(A0, 750);
The Raduino is then emitting a 5v square wave at 750hz on the A0 pin.  (I prefer listening to 750 hz all day over 1khz.)  That's the black wire on one end of the 8 pin connector, the other end of that same connector has 3 wires over to the tuning pot.  I ran the black wire to a 1k resistor and a 20 ohm resistor in series to ground.  From the top of the 20 ohm resistor to ground (the bottom of the 20 ohm resistor is ground) I now have a 100mv 750hz square wave, which I ran into the microphone input.  Gives me a consistent signal to measure and make comparisons.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 01:20 pm, David wrote:
Instead of whistling into the mic when using an antenna tuner on SSB, we could easily add a tone generator and switch to do that for us. Thoughts?

Jerry Gaffke

Of course, in most cases you can just switch to CW mode for testing.
But need a tone to check the mike amp and modulator

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 01:26 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
I got tired of saying AHHHHHHH after about 30 seconds, so spent the following 30 seconds adding a line to the Arduino sketch (anywhere) in the setup() function:

    tone(A0, 750);

John P

Here's another option! It has lots of other uses as well.
--
John - WA2FZW

How about just transmitting a carrier using CW ?  My BITX40 has a TUNE button wired in parallel to the KEY jack for just this purpose.

Michael VE3WMB

Guy N7BIR <sgbridge@...>

How about from your android or iPhone?

Doug W

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 02:24 pm, Guy N7BIR wrote:
How about from your android or iPhone?

John linked to this a few posts back.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keuwl.functiongenerator
I use the same app.  It works great

Clark Martin

One advantage of a tone on SSB is that you can reduce  the signal level into the mic input and therefore the transmitter output.  This will help protect the transmitter until you have got the load “tuned up”.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jan 25, 2018, at 1:33 PM, Michael Babineau <mbabineau.ve3wmb@...> wrote:

How about just transmitting a carrier using CW ?  My BITX40 has a TUNE button wired in parallel to the KEY jack for just this purpose.

Allard PE1NWL

You could use this simple CW mod to generate a carrier for tuning:

https://github.com/amunters/bitx40/blob/master/CW-CARRIER%20wiring.png
If you use a 100K potentiometer instead of the fixed 4.7K resistor you can control the power of the carrier too.

73 Allard PE1NWL

Paul Smith

Go to http://www.audiocheck.net/index.php and download a 1kHz pure sine test file via your soundcard. Free... I use it a lot for testing here.

gw4akz@...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 01:20 pm, David wrote:
Instead of whistling into the mic when using an antenna tuner on SSB, we could easily add a tone generator and switch to do that for us. Thoughts?
I have fitted a switchable -6db pad between the output of the pcb and the anttena socket. With the circuit switched in the worst case swr is about 1.65 to 1 with an open or short circuit, this prevents the finals from ever seeing a poor swr. tune is easily achived with the key down and reduced radiated power when tunning up. I use 2 watt carbon resistors 33 ohms in a t attenuator circuit. 2 in parrarlel to give 16.5 ohms which is close enough to the callculated value. I use a relay to switch this attenuator in and out.

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

You could always use this so you could have built in swr/rf out on your bitx the 51ohm resistors I use 2x 100 ohm 3watt I picked this up from the internet

On 27 Jan 2018 09:32, "gw4akz via Groups.Io" <gw4akz=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 01:20 pm, David wrote:
Instead of whistling into the mic when using an antenna tuner on SSB, we could easily add a tone generator and switch to do that for us. Thoughts?
I have fitted a switchable -6db pad between the output of the pcb and the anttena socket. With the circuit switched in the worst case swr is about 1.65 to 1 with an open or short circuit, this prevents the finals from ever seeing a poor swr. tune is easily achived with the key down and reduced radiated power when tunning up. I use 2 watt carbon resistors 33 ohms in a t attenuator circuit. 2 in parrarlel to give 16.5 ohms which is close enough to the callculated value. I use a relay to switch this attenuator in and out.

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

Built on back of a switch low power atu to the right chris

On 27 Jan 2018 11:45, "chris gress" <Chrisg0wfh@...> wrote:
[...]

AA9GG

JUST SAY NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Rather than modulating your signal, why not just use a noise bridge to tune up your antenna WITH OUT TRANSMITTING!!!!
Check this out....  http://www.nd6t.com/antenna/Polite%20Tuner.htm

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 5:48 AM, chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Mateer, AA9GG
Elan Engineering Corp.