WA2EBY HF Amp Test #linear-amp


Sunil Lakhani
 

Hi Friends 
Our HF linear Amplifier kit is now being used by hams in india with thier ubitx and bitx , usdx tcvrs ..The kit 
Comes with pre build low pass filter .
We will be selling the kits from March first week for dx countries.
Here is a video test that shows the Amp putting out 50 watts with 27 volts 5 amp DC power supply.

https://youtu.be/6vX9Ej_wN8o

Thanks and best of 73s 
Sunil vu3sua
https://amateurradiokits.in


Ted
 

I see no mention of selling price or method for ordering, on that website. Details please!  It looks like something worth considering.






"If your absence doesn't bother them, then your presence didn't matter to them."


Max
 

Looks good. But why didn't you include 80 meters? That's where I need the extra power the most.

Max KG4PID


On Tuesday, February 8, 2022, 10:46:21 AM CST, Sunil Lakhani <vu3sua@...> wrote:


Hi Friends 
Our HF linear Amplifier kit is now being used by hams in india with thier ubitx and bitx , usdx tcvrs ..The kit 
Comes with pre build low pass filter .
We will be selling the kits from March first week for dx countries.
Here is a video test that shows the Amp putting out 50 watts with 27 volts 5 amp DC power supply.

https://youtu.be/6vX9Ej_wN8o

Thanks and best of 73s 
Sunil vu3sua
https://amateurradiokits.in


R. Tyson
 

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 05:18 PM, Max wrote:
Looks good. But why didn't you include 80 meters? That's where I need the extra power the most.
The original amplifier design does include 80m.  This amplifier is very easy to build from scratch using the design for the PCB and etching it yourself. I was going to buy a PCB but the price is too high.

I have etched and tinned a PCB to the original design and have started installing the components, just waiting on some bits and pieces coming over the next couple of days.

I have attached the original PCB design which is to scale and ready to transfer to a piece of double sided board.
Size is     158mm *  90mm  and is ready to lay face down on the board so it then comes out the right way round.

Reg                             G4NFR


R. Tyson
 

On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 04:46 PM, Sunil Lakhani wrote:
Hi Friends 
Our HF linear Amplifier kit is now being used by hams in india with thier ubitx and bitx , usdx tcvrs ..The kit 
Comes with pre build low pass filter
It would have been nice to see the output using CW.... and quieter. Your site mentions through hole PCB, the original design uses SMD components and no through hole mounting. A lot of work went into making the original design stable and I guess that is why SMD components were used. I know you have altered the layout of your PCB somewhat.

The construction manual on your site is for the original amplifier design and PCB, I guess you are going to update that ?
As someone else mentioned...  there is no price shown.

It might be worth selling the kit in various forms... with/without case, bare PCB, with/without LPF, etc.

Reg                       G4NFR


Dan Eggers N7DE
 

Try ordering an EB63A amplifier board from Communication Concepts Inc., and that is 130 mm x 83 mm, and when you order it without the final transistors it costs $50 something, and it comes with all of the parts including the T/R switch.  If you use MRF455 transistors they are $13.50 each and it will give you 50-watts of output, or you can use the MRF454s that Communications Concepts sells for another $100 and you will get 100-watts of output.  The board was originally designed by Motorola and is very good.

We are now working on a lowpass filter board that I hope will be 160 m - 6 m.  The MRF455 and the MRF454 will only go as high as 10 m, but I thought it would be nice for others to have a board that would go through 6 m.  Both of those transistors are linear, and the amplifier is linear.

        73, Dan, Radiotelegraph N7DE




From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 11:43 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] WA2EBY HF Amp Test #linear-amp
 
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 05:18 PM, Max wrote:
Looks good. But why didn't you include 80 meters? That's where I need the extra power the most.
The original amplifier design does include 80m.  This amplifier is very easy to build from scratch using the design for the PCB and etching it yourself. I was going to buy a PCB but the price is too high.

I have etched and tinned a PCB to the original design and have started installing the components, just waiting on some bits and pieces coming over the next couple of days.

I have attached the original PCB design which is to scale and ready to transfer to a piece of double sided board.
Size is     158mm *  90mm  and is ready to lay face down on the board so it then comes out the right way round.

Reg                             G4NFR


MadRadioModder
 

Thats what happens when you use use transistors designed specifically for RF amplification 


MRM

 


On Feb 8, 2022, at 3:09 PM, Dan Eggers N7DE <N7DE@...> wrote:


Try ordering an EB63A amplifier board from Communication Concepts Inc., and that is 130 mm x 83 mm, and when you order it without the final transistors it costs $50 something, and it comes with all of the parts including the T/R switch.  If you use MRF455 transistors they are $13.50 each and it will give you 50-watts of output, or you can use the MRF454s that Communications Concepts sells for another $100 and you will get 100-watts of output.  The board was originally designed by Motorola and is very good.

We are now working on a lowpass filter board that I hope will be 160 m - 6 m.  The MRF455 and the MRF454 will only go as high as 10 m, but I thought it would be nice for others to have a board that would go through 6 m.  Both of those transistors are linear, and the amplifier is linear.

        73, Dan, Radiotelegraph N7DE




From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 11:43 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] WA2EBY HF Amp Test #linear-amp
 
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 05:18 PM, Max wrote:
Looks good. But why didn't you include 80 meters? That's where I need the extra power the most.
The original amplifier design does include 80m.  This amplifier is very easy to build from scratch using the design for the PCB and etching it yourself. I was going to buy a PCB but the price is too high.

I have etched and tinned a PCB to the original design and have started installing the components, just waiting on some bits and pieces coming over the next couple of days.

I have attached the original PCB design which is to scale and ready to transfer to a piece of double sided board.
Size is     158mm *  90mm  and is ready to lay face down on the board so it then comes out the right way round.

Reg                             G4NFR

--

…_. _._


Dan Eggers N7DE
 

I really do not see anything wrong with using transistors for what they were intended for.         73, Dan, N7DE


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of MadRadioModder <madradiomodder@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 3:56 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] WA2EBY HF Amp Test #linear-amp
 
Thats what happens when you use use transistors designed specifically for RF amplification 


MRM

 


On Feb 8, 2022, at 3:09 PM, Dan Eggers N7DE <N7DE@...> wrote:


Try ordering an EB63A amplifier board from Communication Concepts Inc., and that is 130 mm x 83 mm, and when you order it without the final transistors it costs $50 something, and it comes with all of the parts including the T/R switch.  If you use MRF455 transistors they are $13.50 each and it will give you 50-watts of output, or you can use the MRF454s that Communications Concepts sells for another $100 and you will get 100-watts of output.  The board was originally designed by Motorola and is very good.

We are now working on a lowpass filter board that I hope will be 160 m - 6 m.  The MRF455 and the MRF454 will only go as high as 10 m, but I thought it would be nice for others to have a board that would go through 6 m.  Both of those transistors are linear, and the amplifier is linear.

        73, Dan, Radiotelegraph N7DE




From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of R. Tyson via groups.io <tysons2@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 8, 2022 11:43 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] WA2EBY HF Amp Test #linear-amp
 
On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 05:18 PM, Max wrote:
Looks good. But why didn't you include 80 meters? That's where I need the extra power the most.
The original amplifier design does include 80m.  This amplifier is very easy to build from scratch using the design for the PCB and etching it yourself. I was going to buy a PCB but the price is too high.

I have etched and tinned a PCB to the original design and have started installing the components, just waiting on some bits and pieces coming over the next couple of days.

I have attached the original PCB design which is to scale and ready to transfer to a piece of double sided board.
Size is     158mm *  90mm  and is ready to lay face down on the board so it then comes out the right way round.

Reg                             G4NFR

--

…_. _._


Sunil Lakhani
 

We are working on an extended version of the hf amp kit for all bands .
By first week of March we shall start selling on our website amateuradiokits.in
The kit will be complete with low pass filters and suitable enclosure.
The price will be calculated only after we work everything out . We hope to keep the cost affordable.
Best regards
Sunil vu3sua


Sunil Lakhani
 

Our pcb design i would say is very clean with no oscillations . The original wa2eby was too large in size our pcb is very compact and works well.
I have build several units and all work great . Some hams have also build this amp with or pcb and reported it's working well.
I shall do a test with cw also and put up a video soon .
The kit will be sold in various forms and I agree to your suggestions .
The price can only be shared once we have all kits ready to go as the extended version is being designed.
The. Newer version will be all bands and smt build .
Only toroids and attenuator would need to be installed .
It will come with an enclosure and heatsink.

We would also provide a new construction manual 
I hope this info help .
Best wishes
Sunil vu3sua


Sunil Lakhani
 

Very soon we are making it available.
Regards 
Sunil 


Sunil Lakhani
 

The selling price will be put up once we start the sale .
Best regards
Sunil vu3sua


Sunil Lakhani
 

The new design that would be sold will have 80mt too .
Best regards
Sunil vu3sua


Lawrence Galea
 

Did you also consider 160 metres?
Tnx & regards
Lawrence

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 5:48 AM Sunil Lakhani <vu3sua@...> wrote:
We are working on an extended version of the hf amp kit for all bands .
By first week of March we shall start selling on our website amateuradiokits.in
The kit will be complete with low pass filters and suitable enclosure.
The price will be calculated only after we work everything out . We hope to keep the cost affordable.
Best regards
Sunil vu3sua


R. Tyson
 

   Sounds good so far. Good luck with the project.

   Reg                            G4NFR

 
Our pcb design i would say is very clean with no oscillations . The original wa2eby was too large in size our pcb is very compact and works well.
I have build several units and all work great . Some hams have also build this amp with or pcb and reported it's working well.
I shall do a test with cw also and put up a video soon .
The kit will be sold in various forms and I agree to your suggestions .
The price can only be shared once we have all kits ready to go as the extended version is being designed.
The. Newer version will be all bands and smt build .
Only toroids and attenuator would need to be installed .
It will come with an enclosure and heatsink.
 
We would also provide a new construction manual 
I hope this info help .
Best wishes
Sunil vu3sua


Dan Eggers N7DE
 

In the final version you will need to do wide banding of the transformers like they did in the EB63A that Communications Concepts sells.

I have some values for lowpass filter components for 160 - 10 m, etc. if you would be interested in making the PCB for a lowpass filter.  I have used Butterworth filters.

         73, Dan, N7DE


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 9, 2022 1:30 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] WA2EBY HF Amp Test
 
Did you also consider 160 metres?
Tnx & regards
Lawrence

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 5:48 AM Sunil Lakhani <vu3sua@...> wrote:
We are working on an extended version of the hf amp kit for all bands .
By first week of March we shall start selling on our website amateuradiokits.in
The kit will be complete with low pass filters and suitable enclosure.
The price will be calculated only after we work everything out . We hope to keep the cost affordable.
Best regards
Sunil vu3sua


Sunil Lakhani
 

Yes we shall try that too. 


Michael
 

Looks interesting.  What is the maximum power input?  


kc0wox Leeper
 

Here's an original article on the amp.

http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/wa2ebyamp/index.htm

Leonard