Power for a UBitz v6 #power

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

1) Not enough power.  Needs 3 Amperes or a little more.

2) Switching type, but is there enough filtering and shielding to eliminate stray RF?

3) Wall-wart style.  Is the cable from the PS to the rig adequate for the current?

Arv
_._

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 6:07 PM Fr Richard R via groups.io <rickocr2005=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ok, a very newbie question,  I am purchasing the UBitz v6.  Can I use a universal AC/DC multi voltage PS, such as:

https://smile.amazon.com/SoulBay-Universal-Multi-Voltage-Selectable-Electronics/dp/B01N2K48HR/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Universal+12V+2A+Power+Adapter+USA&qid=1627084466&sr=8-8

To power the radio?

If not, please advise of what i shud use.

Agn, I know his is basic, but..... hopefully no dumb newbie jokes.......

Thanks and 73

Fr Richard
WB8YXF
(newbie of building kits etc)

Evan Hand

Fr Richard,

I would do as Arv suggested and look for one that has the more current capability. I can tell you from experience that most of the 12volt lower than 3amp power supplies have high noise output.  That is why I ultimately went to a Tekpower ham radio supply.  That will cost just under $90 or about 1/3 of the price of the uBiTx v6.  I had planned to power a dual-band 50watt FM Kenwood and an Icom 7300, so going with the higher price power supply made sense.

There is a 12 linear supply on Amazon that is rated for 2.5amps and costs $35.  That should work and not have the RF noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Compact-Bench-Power-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PS3KX&qid=1627087891&sr=8-1

As stated above, I gave up on lower-priced supplies and went with a Tekpower supply (actually bought 2 and both models worked without any noise issues):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ18LRI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ2PGYO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above is my experience.  Others may have different opinions based on what they have done.  I am sure there are low-cost supplies that will work, I do not have experience with one that I can recommend.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Fr Richard R

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations.

Fr Richard

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 20:59, Evan Hand
<elhandjr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thomas White AD6TW

Maybe call Gigaparts and ask them for a recommendation.

Stephen KO4CVU

Fr. Richard,
I started out just like you have. Very little kit building experience and the folks in this group have patiently answered my questions so that I could get up and going with my v6. I am no expert but I’ve had good experience with this $11 supply. In fact, I have bought two of them. I can’t tell a difference between running my radio from a 12 volt lead acid battery and this supply, but I have no performance data on how clean the power output is. It might get you started until you are ready to invest more in a real “ham radio” supply.   https://www.allelectronics.com/item/ps-12005/12-vdc-5-amp-power-supply/1.html

Don - KM4UDX

I’ve used the same brick PS per Stephen KOVCVU. Like his experience, I can no difference between a 12v battery and this power supply — other than I don’t have to keep it charged. Hahah

If you have any leftover power adapters from old laptops (or what ever), I wanted to try to use them for the uBITX. Most of the laptop PS make ~19.8 (or whatever), so you need a DC voltage down converter. For that job, I fell in love with these babies.

Valefod 3 Pack LM2596 DC to DC Voltage Regulator 4-40V to 1.5-35V Buck Converter with LED Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQJ2GD6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GMSP88ZZ4C3MN3BX1PXX

yes you have to wire it up yourself with connectors of your choice, but that fits with the uBITX diy ethos      .  No noise and a nice voltage display.  Perfect!

Curt

Team

I am curious what tests were run to be convinced that particular switching supplies don't  contribute noise?  I use a Samlex switching supply that was rigorously tested by a ham. Yes HF can be noisy, and some of us have more man made noise than others. I would advise comparing weak signals on cw or ft8 with and without the candidate supply, on several bands before concluding. Higher frequency tends to have less atmospheric and often man made noise. Okay if you only do ssb one may be less likely to notice the noise. The better switchers tend to add linear regulation and high rejection filtering, hint they aren't small.

Curt wb8yyy

Tom, wb6b

Hi,

I'm using this supply to power my uBitx.

https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B00D7CWSCG

It generates a noise signal that drifts in frequency as it warms up and also depended on load.

I use this with my 100W Kenwood transceiver, too.

With the Kenwood the interference frequency drifts right on to op my morning 75 meter net in 10 minutes. So I need to get up 15 minutes before the net to turn on the power supply so the interference drifts past the net before the start of the net.

With the uBitx I have no problems with the power supply drifting onto the net frequency I get on.

I might try to put the power supply inside another metal box, with additional filtering on the leads. However, getting up 15 minutes earlier in the morning is not bad, either.

The fan is a little annoying, I might try putting the 30A supply on my 3D printer, and using the similar 20A supply from my printer for powering my radios. As, the 20A supply does not have a fan. 20 amps is enough for the radios and 30A might be a good upgrade for the printer.

Tom, wb6b

David Alexander

you might put a thermal switch in the 30a ps  to turn the fan off til it gets hot.

dave k7da

On 7/24/2021 11:55 AM, Tom, wb6b wrote:
[...]

Jonathan McAdams <jonmcahm@...>

It's been noted before, but for least power supply noise, and also for portable operation assessment in a field environment far away from man-made noise, a rechargable battery is a good solution.

[...]

Gordon Gibby

A fair bit of the noise created by switching power supplies is common mode, common to both of the output, or both of the input wires.

In effect, the Power supply is a wide band transmitter, connected to two ends of an antenna. One end is the power wiring to your radio, the other end is the power wiring of your house.   What a dandy set up to radiate & conduct Noise!

One way to knock this down a bit, if you are lucky with the impedances, is to put common mode ferrite toroid filters on both input and output of the power supply.  There are industrial filters created just for this purpose, however what you’re looking for is something with a lot of common mode rejection.

I have had some success with FT Dash 240 Dash 43 cores.   You may have to disconnect the AC line wiring in order to put 10 or 12 turns around the core, right before it enters your power supply.

Do the same with both of the plus and minus DC output, keeping them nice and parallel.

This is exactly what you do to reduce common mode RF currents on your coax line.

We have knocked down switching common mode currents from inverter generators and from small inverters with this technique.   Be aware that this is only a single stage filter and it will not elininaye all of the interference but it might knock it down quite a few DB

All the toroid does is provide an RF impedance and series, to reduce the RF currents possibly flowing on those lines.  It’s effectiveness depends on the standing wave impedance right at that point, at the frequency of interest for your particular operation.  There’s nothing magic, it’s just electronics.

Gordon KX4Z

On Jul 24, 2021, at 16:20, Jonathan McAdams <jonmcahm@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jonathan,

I have been promoting the use of rechargeable batteries (and in some cases alkalines) for quite a while. I even operate some vacuum tube gear on battery power. When I first started with the vacuum tube gear my intent was reducing conducted noise into my receivers. It worked. In addition, whenever the electric utility drops the load (known as a power outage) I can stay on the air. It is remarkable how much background noise just goes away when the power grid goes down. In one such instance I was actually on the air when the grid went down. The collapse of the background noise was startling! Even on battery power.

*All* of my operating has been at QRP levels (and near QRP) for a couple of years or more. My shack works on 100 percent battery power and more and more of that is maintained with solar panels.

You know what to do:) Have fun doing it.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

https://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B00D7CWSCG <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FeTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer%2Fdp%2FB00D7CWSCG&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd17d2c67626c41fd35e308d94ed4aa8b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637627497564942388%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=yx9ZD6TLIzTfrRvSKNLK79DkpW2uUaEKq7Rmkh%2BLPow%3D&reserved=0>

[...]

Bill,

I'm in an apartment. I wish I could set up solar panels at my QTH but that's not possible. I'm thinking about getting solar panels plus a battery charge controller for portable operation. Do you have any recommendations?

I have been promoting the use of rechargeable batteries (and in some
cases alkalines) for quite a while. I even operate some vacuum tube gear
on battery power. When I first started with the vacuum tube gear my
intent was reducing conducted noise into my receivers. It worked. In
addition, whenever the electric utility drops the load (known as a power
outage) I can stay on the air. It is remarkable how much background
noise just goes away when the power grid goes down. In one such instance
I was actually on the air when the grid went down. The collapse of the
background noise was startling! Even on battery power.

*All* of my operating has been at QRP levels (and near QRP) for a couple
of years or more. My shack works on 100 percent battery power and more
and more of that is maintained with solar panels.

You know what to do:) Have fun doing it.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/24/21 4:20 PM, Jonathan McAdams wrote:
> It's been noted before, but for least power supply noise, and also for
> portable operation assessment in a field environment far away from
> man-made noise, a rechargable battery is a good solution.

Stan

As noted by others, anytime noise is a problem and you are attempting to isolate the source, a battery to operate the BITX is my first step.

I have rechargeable lithium 9V, 800 mAH batteries that power in receive no problem, intermittently on transmit.  Awesome to show someone the BITX receiving another station while being powered by a 9V battery as well!  Take it to your next club meeting running on 9V battery!

73

Stan
AE0LM

Curt

Well even a 30 amp 13.8 volt ham radio switching supply costs less than a ubitx. In parts of the world where a ubitx is a financial stretch, curious what folk might be using for a clean less than $50 us power supply?  Perhaps an interesting group project to build a compact, modern, clean qrp power supply. I am not in want, but could be interesting.

Curt

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I buy bare solar panels and build my own charge management. Do you have a south facing window? You can place the solar panel there. East or West facing are not as good but will get you some charge time. Even on the north you will have some but may not be good for daily operation or especially a weekend contest. I do still charge some of my batteries from the electric utility but that is NOT in my shack with the batteries connected. For on the air use it the battery alone (I have several).

Good luck with your project. If you elect to buy ready made circuitry (the controllers) some of the other list members may have some suggestions for you.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FeTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer%2Fdp%2FB00D7CWSCG&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cf5ed301b1eba48a58ea908d94eeb9926%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637627596059997398%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=m5jiMUk2uRRtIZ8FX1ffJlXkLX0sKEWTU2mzXe%2F%2FP7w%3D&amp;reserved=0 <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FeTopxizu-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer%2Fdp%2FB00D7CWSCG&;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cf5ed301b1eba48a58ea908d94eeb9926%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637627596059997398%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=m5jiMUk2uRRtIZ8FX1ffJlXkLX0sKEWTU2mzXe%2F%2FP7w%3D&amp;reserved=0>
[...]

Hi Curt,

That is a good idea and a good challenge. First we have to know what those people do have for resources. It won't work for them to learn how to build a power supply out of gum wrappers for instance (McGuver? bah)) when they don't have gum. Just to illustrate. The uBitX uses no more than three amps. Mine at 8 watts on the highest power band uses less than that. Maybe it won't be so difficult. Those hams might jump in and tell us what they DO use. Maybe our project would be a solution without a problem:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/24/21 6:21 PM, Curt via groups.io wrote:
Well even a 30 amp 13.8 volt ham radio switching supply costs less than a ubitx. In parts of the world where a ubitx is a financial stretch, curious what folk might be using for a clean less than $50 us power supply?  Perhaps an interesting group project to build a compact, modern, clean qrp power supply. I am not in want, but could be interesting.

Curt

_Dave_ AD0B

We use an old laptop supply on one of our uBITX radios. The nominal voltage is 20 volts. Have the finals powered by the 20v and have a lm317 linear regulator set to about 11.5v that powers the receiver. The ps fits into the radio case with the power ports also going to the back of the radio so I can power the radio from batteries. Have numerous 12 and 15v lipo model batteries  that I can use in an emergency.

When we first moved here we didn't have line power but had a 6 panel solar array that charged a lead acid deep cell battery. Unfortunately we had ice slide off the roof wrecking the entire array. That was 10 years ago but have not replaced them to-date. Emergency power can come from our generator or from our vehicles.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Dave.Pro2nd <Dave.Pro2nd@...>

Bill,
In answer to your <$50 PS challenge, I have a 12V 750W Switching Power Supply that I got for $20, shipped. Who knew that there is an industry that supports new and used crypto mining equipment?
Web search "HSTNS-PL18" and for under $40 you can find a "used" HP Server Rack PS.
The HSTNS-PL18 (750W) and the HSTNS-PD18 (460 W) are 12VDC output. Since these were intended to be rack mounted you need to add a jumper or switch to turn it on. Also, there are video's online that show how to modify the output to 13.8V.
I cannot give a grade on noise but the durability is rumored to be excellent.
Dave KE8PXV

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 06:47 PM, Dave.Pro2nd wrote:
I have a 12V 750W Switching Power Supply that I got for $20, shipped
When I looked at a 13.8v conversion video I saw that these power supplies are much smaller than they look in the eBay listings. Amazing compact for the wattage.

Here is a random link to info on converting the supply to 13.8V. Although the video says "here is the adjustment pot for the voltage", they then add a resistor with no explanation. The person says put the resistor between here and there. Then when he shows the completed work, the resistor is installed in a different location. So, I'd try to find a couple of modification videos and see if two can be found that agree on the modification.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/how-to-convert-a-hp-hstns-pl18-psu-to-13-8v/

I usually run my radios at 14.2 volts. I wonder if the supply could be increased to that level? They look like a good deal.

Tom, wb6b