Hooray New Case https://radioaficion.com/news/ubitx-v6-mod/

Robert AG6LK

Hello Richard and Mike,

I'm thinking on doing the exact same conversion. I don't know if this will help you guys but, I found a conversion to a Nextion 2.8" display into a v6. I would expect that the wiring would be the same. I did read somewhere the fact that you would need second voltage regulator to supply the extra current for a "large" display, but you guys probably already knew this though. I'll put the link here in case you want to take a look at the article. https://radioaficion.com/news/ubitx-v6-mod/ .

I do have a couple of questions for you guys. How long did your cases take to be delivered? How much "extra" space is left in the case after the motherboard is mounted? How are the instructions, are they thorough enough for you?

We should make a post where we can compare our progress and help each other with the builds. Just an idea.

Thanks, 73

Robert, AG6LK

Jack, W8TEE

All:

I see a lot of posts about the Nextion display. Admittedly, I have not used one for probably 5 or so years, but I'm wondering why that display instead of a less expensive display that can also support a touch screen. What am I missing?

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Robert AG6LK

Opps! I meant to post to another posting. accidentally put a web page in the subject line. Opps.

K2ICC

While there are regulators, there are also some issues or better stated, ways to let the Arduino, in case it is used, to know the higher voltage is being used. For example, 3.3v or 5V, where the AREF pin is used instead.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 8:37 PM Robert AG6LK <amrmedic@...> wrote:
[...]

Evan Hand

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, at 07:46 PM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:
I see a lot of posts about the Nextion display. Admittedly, I have not used one for probably 5 or so years, but I'm wondering why that display instead of a less expensive display that can also support a touch screen. What am I missing?
Jack,

Probably the most compelling reason for the Nextion is the offloading of some of the display functions from the Nano to the display.  The stock v6 display with the stock software is just adequate.  Reed N and others tweaked the software to make it better, but still not as responsive as the Nextion display with the stock Nano.  If you went to your Teensy Nano upgrade, then you can overcome this issue.  Then the reason becomes the available software that has already been written to do most of the things that commercial rigs do like band scope, s meter, CW decode, and others.  Some of them require adding another Nano, but the hardware mod is easier for most than rolling their own in software.

So to sum it up, the Nano is really being stretched to do more than the most basic of graphics, and adding the Nextion frees up resources.

These are my opinions and could be in error.  I am always open to feedback.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack, W8TEE

Thanks, Evan, I forgot that some of the processing burden can be offloaded onto the display, which does make a lot of sense. The Teensy would be a huge jump in processing power. I haven't posted much here, but Al and I are working on what we call the T41 SDR, which uses the Teensy 4.1. Using the Convolution SDR as a starting point, we've offloaded some of its crunching to the RA8875 controller:

Inline image
At the bottom-right you can see that the CPU load is 18.8%, but it was a little under 30% before we changed the way the spectrum and waterfall displays were done. The Teensy's temperature is a toasty 54C, but that's with no cooling at all.

There's still some hiccups in the software (see the audio overrun on the S meter), but we're making progress. Fun stuff!

Thanks for 'splaining things for me!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, March 19, 2021, 2:45:06 AM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jack,

Very interesting.  Where are you posting about this work?

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack, W8TEE

On my SCHR site:

Al and I are writing a book on the T41, which will have a chapter for each functional block of the radio from antenna to earphones. The receiver is pretty much done and Al has just finalized the PA block. It is a 5 band HF rig and will support SSB/CW with 1-25W of power. And, yes, more than a couple of IRF510's were murdered in the process!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, March 19, 2021, 9:19:36 AM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

Hi Jack,

Very interesting.  Where are you posting about this work?

73
Evan
AC9TU

--
Jack, W8TEE

Evan Hand

Jack,

Sounds interesting.  I already monitor your group, I guess that I need to pay more attention.  I will look for the book announcement.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack, W8TEE

We really don't post much about it yet, since we don't want the "Hans Syndrome" where readers submit a bazillion "nice-but-you-really-need-to-add" features. Since the entire project is Open Source, those who are interested can add their own features set if they wish. (At the present time, we are using just 2% of flash memory and still have almost 250K of SRAM left.)

Jack, W8TEE