5.0" Nextion for uBitX V6 #nextion #ubitxv6 #ubitx6-help

Aaron K5ATG

I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger Nextion and I came across this 5" one.
5.0" Nextion NX8048T050 TFT HMI USART Intelligent Touch Display LCD Module 16M

5" Nextion Display

Would it work with the uBitX v6 and would it be much harder to use than the 2.8 Nextion?
Also, would a 5" Nextion be able to display more than the 2.8" or is everything on the screen is magnified?
--
'72
Aaron Scott

Evan Hand

Aaron,

I have not used a 5" screen.  I have used a 2.4", 2.8", 3.2", and a 3.5" Nextion.  They have all worked the same to the most extent, though some of the Nextion programs have more features than others.  I could not see any issue with going to the 5" display as long as you can find the right Nextion files for it.  There are some in the files section here and on ubitx.net.

One key thing to consider is the supply for the larger screen.  I would recommend adding a second 5volt regulator just for the larger screen.  I have seen them mounted to the case for heat transfer and then run the power to the screen with a common ground for the data lines.

To get a feel for what is in the Nextion program, you can use the Nextion editor and load the .hmi file then run in debug mode.

Above are my thoughts, you may want to wait to hear from someone who has used the larger screen.
73
Evan
AC9TU

K2ICC

Upgrade the regulator to feed the screen needs.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 6:28 PM Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm wanting to upgrade to a larger Nextion and I came across this 5" one.
5.0" Nextion NX8048T050 TFT HMI USART Intelligent Touch Display LCD Module 16M

5" Nextion Display

Would it work with the uBitX v6 and would it be much harder to use than the 2.8 Nextion?
Also, would a 5" Nextion be able to display more than the 2.8" or is everything on the screen is magnified?
--
'72
Aaron Scott
QRPARCI# 16443
GQRP# 16389
4SQRP # 1080

Gyula Molnar

Hi Aaron,

You should read Ian’s KD8CEC page because he’s dealt with this display a lot in previous years.
Type in the search engine: http://www.hamskey.com/search?q=nextion

73, Gyula HA3HZ

Robert AG6LK

Hello Evan,

I’m planning to instal the Nextion 3.5” display when my v6 gets delivered. I hope you don’t mind that I have a few questions for you. Do you think it will fit in the stock case if I enlarge the case hole? How do you wire it since the stock display mounts on the motherboard? Do I need to worry about adding a second regulator? I didn’t think that i would since it’s not much of a larger display. I read an article about wiring a Nextion 2.8”. Is the 3.5” wired the same way?

With great appreciation, 73,

Robert, Ag6lk

Robert AG6LK

Evan,

I don’t know if it makes a difference but  I forgot to put in my post that I’m installing an enhanced version of the 3.5” Nextion display.

Robert, Ag6lk

Evan Hand

Robert,

Looking at the inside of the v6 case, It could be done if you move the Encoder.  You will have the abandoned hole only partially covered by the display.  There is very little room between the volume control and the encoder tuning control to fit it in.  Using the 2.8" version you need to take off the volume control to remove the lower left screw.  I took a picture with a 3.5" setting on the front panel of an unassembled v6 case:

After I took the picture it thought of moving the encoder to the right and aligning on the lower left hole for the screen.

Here is a picture of a built unit that I modified for a friend:

You cannot see the Nextion in this picture but if you zoom into the upper left you can just see the backside of the encoder.  It is tight with the 2.8" display.  Also, with the 2.8" display you can get the holes to line up with some minor mods to the Nextion display holes.  If you try to move the display down, the volume control and the jacks get in the way of the lower part of the display.  I would look to use the lower-left corner hole of the Nextion to align with the same hole of the stock display to give some support for the Raduino card behind the display.  The other three holes will not be used on the Raduino, and the display will need to be mounted to the front panel of the case.  You might want to make a bracket to hold the Top Left corner of the Raduino in the above picture.  This would be required if you are going to use it as a portable radio.

The wiring is per the v6 conversion document on ubitx.net:
https://ubitx.net/category/nextion-display/

I would use a right-angle header soldered onto the trimmed Nextion leads and plug that into the display socket of the Raduino.

To sum it up, It is possible to mount a 3.5" Nextion in the v6 case with a lot of milling on the front panel and maybe making a bracket for Raduino mounting.

Good luck with the build.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Robert AG6LK

Hi Evan,

Thank you so much for explaining the process of the conversion. I didn't realize that it was going to be so tight. The more I look at it , and think about it. I would probably be better off buying a new case that is already set up for a 3.5" Nextion . But then there was that case that was set up for a 5" Nextion, Hi, Hi. I really do appreciate you going through the trouble of going into detail. Thank you.

Is that the AGC kit from Kit-Pojects.com in the lower picture? The reason why I ask is because I just received mine in the mail. It looks identical to the one I have. I'm sure it is. Was it difficult to install? Tell me about it. I'm hoping to get some tips for when I install mine.

Thanks again, 73,

Robert, AG6LK

Evan Hand

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021, at 10:08 PM, Robert AG6LK wrote:
Is that the AGC kit from Kit-Pojects.com in the lower picture? The reason why I ask is because I just received mine in the mail. It looks identical to the one I have. I'm sure it is. Was it difficult to install? Tell me about it. I'm hoping to get some tips for when I install mine.
Hi Robert,

Yes, that is the Kit-Projects.com AGC.  The ham that I did it for wanted the RF attenuation control installed.  That was the hardest part.  The 1Kohm pot is not included, nor is the shielded coax.  Also not obvious is the way that the pot is installed: All of the coax shields are only connected on the side that is connected to the pot.  The ground is from the paint scraped off of the back of the case front and then soldered to the case of the pot.  I used a star lock washer on the shaft to ensure that there is a good connection from the case to the pot.  I found that recommendation on the original designer of the AGC.
http://www.nd6t.com/uBITX/AGC.htm

I followed all of the tips in the instructions, including using the heat-resistant tape to protect the traces under the GAC board.

The last construction point is that I used a two-pin and single-pin header with the pins connected to the AGC board.  This allows S Meter and pot wires to be removed for further work on the board.  I think that I would add the headers for the switch if I were to do it again.  I did not do that, so do not know how it would turn out.  Since I mounted the switch on the back of the rig, it is easy to remove it from the back panel if you need to pull the mainboard.

You should note that if you want the S Meter function to work when the AGC is turned off, you need to use the original KD8CEC op-amp sensor.  When in the off position there is not a signal on the S Meter connection point.  I used a perf board and an 8 pin female header that plugs into the mainboard audio header since that is not used in the stock case.

If you do want a bigger display, then the 5" case would be your best choice in my opinion.  I have not done that with a v6 kit.  I would suggest that you add a second 5volt regulator as the Nextion can be damaged if the voltage drops too low.  I have not had any issue with the 3.5" display that I put on my v5 rig.  The alternative is to replace the stock 7805 regulators with a higher current version and add a series resistor to drop the voltage to limit the power dissipation required.  I used a 4ohm 4watt resistor made up of two 2watt 2ohm resistors.  This gives a 4volt drop at 1 amp that the 7805 regulator does not need to dissipate. You pull the input pin of the 7805 and add the resistor there.

Have fun modding!
73
Evan
AC9TU