Power supply for uBITX ... 12V 3A

Bob Lunsford

Evan Hand

Bob,

It is a switching supply.  Switchers can cause noise in the HF range.  If you have purchased one, can you comment on the noise generated, if any?

73
Evan
AC9TU

mikebw+groupsio@...

I've had no problems with RF noise from this supply:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWG6YT8/ — BMOUO 12V 30A DC Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply 360W

I did install ferrite chokes on the AC input and DC output cables, but as a precaution because I was not having any problem before:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088LNB2DT/ — Pack of 20pcs Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core Black RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip

mikebw+groupsio@...

I don't personally have one, but people who put these inexpensive switching power supplies on oscilloscopes to look at their output often recommend the Mean Well brand, which is almost twice as expensive (USD33) compared to the generic brands (USD18) but still quite reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0109IMRPS/ — MEAN WELL LRS-350-12 348W 12V 29 Amp Single Output Switchable Power Supply

The Mean Well LRS series is fine for amateur radio use, about half the price of the Mean Well RSP series that includes remote sensing (which would be of little value in this application).

Arv Evans

Most switching supplies respond well to having a 0.1 mfd and a 4000 mfd
capacitors across the output, right at the power supply end of the cable.  It
is difficult to get noise through that combination.

Arv
_._