Are all the Bitx version fundamentally the same?

Robert AG6LK

Hello All,

I’m new to the uBitx scene. I’m contemplating buying a v6. My question is are all the versions basically the same? The reason I ask is that there are a lot of mod articles written for v3, v4 and v5. Can these mods also be used for v6? I appreciate all of the time everyone puts into helping each other on this forum. Thanks in advance for you answers.

73,
Robert, AG6LK

Jack, W8TEE

Robert:

I think you will find that mods to V6 are so marked in the post that makes a mod. You should also look at the posts on ubitx.net. There's a lot of useful information there, too.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Evan Hand

Robert,

The 4 µBITX models that come from HFSignals have basically the same design, so most improvement mods do work with the v6.  One modification path, KD8CEC mods, will not work with the stock v6 display.  There is a 2.8" Nextion display that can be made to fit in the v6 case.  With that hardware addition, the other modifications along that line can be made to it.

Because there are slight variations in the versions, some adaptation may be required to make it work.  One example is the Kit Parts AGC requires another resistor and a different tie-in point but the main circuit board mounts in the same place with the same performance.  There are similar examples for other mods.  I am not aware of any enhancement type of mod that does not work.  Some, like the external relay modification to solve the v3 and v4 harmonic issues, are not required.

The other thing that is different with the v6 is the moving of the jacks, ports, and some of the controls to the mainboard to remove any soldering requirements.  Case mods like those from https://amateurradiokits.in/ do require significant changes because the controls are no longer separate from the mainboard.  This means you need to look closely at any enclosure to make sure it will fit.

You are asking a very general question, and as such the answers could be misleading based on the person answering interpretation.  Are there a couple of mods that you are interested in?  If you let us know which ones we can answer your question with better accuracy.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Curt

Robert

The v6 is a more refined design, needing less mods than the earlier v3 and v4.  A v6 will be useful as is, many mods are added creature comforts or customization.  The early versions were an outgrowth of those who built them from scratch. If you get a v6, your operation  of it will encourage whether you are motivated for any mods.

Curt wb8yyy

Dale Hardin KS4NS

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 3:06 PM Robert AG6LK <amrmedic@...> wrote:
Hello All,

I’m new to the uBitx scene. I’m contemplating buying a v6. My question is are all the versions basically the same? The reason I ask is that there are a lot of mod articles written for v3, v4 and v5. Can these mods also be used for v6? I appreciate all of the time everyone puts into helping each other on this forum. Thanks in advance for you answers.

73,
Robert, AG6LK

--
Dale Hardin
Elberta, AL

--
Dale Hardin
KS4NS

Dale Hardin KS4NS

I'll leave it to the experts to provide the answers, but I would LOVE to see a list of fixes needed for each version of the board.  Dale

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 5:16 PM Dale Hardin <joe.dale.hardin@...> wrote:

[...]

Needed fixes were quite in vogue for v3 and v4. For v5 and v6 there may be possibly no needed fixes.

Some folk are taken back by transmit power not being flat across the bands, to me its a feature to have a little more output on 80m. If you want to transmit on 160m you need a low pass filter, I just built an external one.

I wanted a cw filter so I built an adjustable SCAF into the case, and added a homebrew agc. For v4 we needed relay fixes to improve transmit spurious.

73 curt

Evan Hand

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 05:18 PM, Dale Hardin wrote:
I'll leave it to the experts to provide the answers, but I would LOVE to see a list of fixes needed for each version of the board.  Dale
I am not the expert, but there is a good list on the ubitx.net web pages.  Other wise check in the files and wiki sections of this board.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Robert AG6LK

wow! So many answers, so quick. Thank you all for the information. I’ll have to check out the web pages. Well, I think you all talked me into buying one. I like to tinker with my electronics.

Thanks again, 73

Robert, AGKLK

Evan Hand

Robert,

If you like to tinker then this IS the kit for you.  There are so many possibilities to enhance and learn.

For me, it is an EXCELLENT choice.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Arv Evans

Dale

It is not that easy.  Each person seems to customize their uBITX to
meet their own personal needs and ideas.

Most significant difference between uBITX V3, V4, V5, and V6 is
audio amplifier and spurious emission control.  Each version is
intended to be an improvement on the earlier version.  Beyond that
it is up to the builder to make whatever changes they feel is
necessary for their needs.

Others have recently noted a range of customizations in their own
posts.

Arv
_._

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 4:19 PM Dale Hardin <joe.dale.hardin@...> wrote:
[...]

Don - KM4UDX

As a happy award wining owner of the much maligned V4, I say get your all tiddy up V6, with its perfect RF relays, compliant spur emissions, pre mounted jacks, fine audio output, and then, well break something so you can enjoy the joy of fixing. Or add some LED, or put 24v on the finals, or embed a ATU, or really the list of enhancement, tweaks and so on are endless.

One of my most fav enhancements embeded a Prasbery Pi into the uBITX case. I'm crazy for digital ops, so getting an embedded Fldigi was the total bomb.

So you can see there are options....even with the highly refined and perfectly perfect hoity-toity V6.

Don
Km4udx

Eli, KO4LGS

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 09:44 AM, Don - KM4UDX wrote:
crazy for digital ops, so getting a

Don,
Can you give more information about the Pi in the case and how you use/connect it?
I connect my uBITX v6 via audio cables to my PC and run WSTJ-x and it works well for FT8 so far.

To the OP question, I have a uBITX v6, and I have ordered an ATU, and am working on the S-meter/AGC that was posted on ubitx.net.

I am also looking to even out the power at 10m and 20m, and am researching some of the upgrades mentioned.

I have notes, and hope to post them once I get done with my updates.

Eli
KO4LGS

Robert AG6LK

Hi Eli,

im going to have a V6 here pretty so also, I hope. Can you explain in detail, ( I’m a newbie ), how you have your V6 set up for digital? How are you activating the PTT?

Thanks, 73

Robert, Ag6lk

Jerry Gaffke

Good info.
A minor correction:
The Nano has a USB-Mini connector, not the USB-Micro that you find on most Android phones.
Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:33 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
I have an EasyDigi board that I really only use the two isolation transformers.  For PTT I use the CAT capabilities with a Yeasu FT-857 radio setting.  The CAT connects through the USB port on the Nano and the PC.  The cable is USB-a on one end, and USB-Micro on the other (NOT the most recent USB Mini for android phones).  This is with the WSJT-X software.

A number of posters on this site have had success with a direct connection to a USB sound dongle.  I had RF and Groundloop issues, which is why I added the EasyDigi along with clamp-on ferrites to block the RF.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Arv Evans

Jerry

I have older Nano boards that have the Mini-USB connector, but the
latest purchases all have the Micro-USB connector.  While this does
make the Arduino use same cables as cell phones, it also adds to the
confusion.  USB-Mini cables are getting more and more difficult to
find and purchase.

Arv
_._

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM Jerry Gaffke via groups.io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jerry and Arv,
Thank you for the corrections.  I did get the mini and micro mixed up.  I guess the best bet is to wait for the Nano to be delivered and then match the connector on the board.

Robert
Hopefully, you have not ordered the cables yet.

I will delete the message that is in error so others are not confused.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jerry Gaffke

While we are on the subject of USB cables, be careful of those meant only for charging.

Many USB cables these days save $0.05 worth of copper wire by not including the data wires,
just power and ground wires.  These cables often provided free when you buy some electronic device.

More than once, I've spent hours chasing trouble when trying to download to a Nano
only to find that I have grabbed the wrong cable, which subsequently gets thrown in the trash.
Given the non-informative error messages you get from the Arduino-IDE, it's very easy to get hung up on this.

Jerry

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:46 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
Jerry and Arv,
Thank you for the corrections.  I did get the mini and micro mixed up.  I guess the best bet is to wait for the Nano to be delivered and then match the connector on the board.

Robert
Hopefully, you have not ordered the cables yet.

I will delete the message that is in error so others are not confused.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Eli, KO4LGS

Robert,
This is how I set up for FT8. I haven't tried much else. All of this is on a windows PC...although I have a rasperry Pi I may switch to.

I am doing the following:
1. Installed WSJT-X- https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html
2. Installed a timesynctool- https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/wsjt-x-and-setting-windows-10-clock-seconds.592212/
3. Connect uBITX to PC via USB cable
   3a. Check Device Manager for COM port
4. Connect uBITX to PC via USB Sound Card- uBITX Mic to PC Earphone/uBITX speaker (front panel) to PC Mic
  4a. I had to "customize" the Audio cable from the USB soundcard to uBITX- https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/84452
5. Turn On uBITX (with antenna connected)
6. Check Settings (configuration) in WSJT-X-
  6.a Radio
    Rig: Yaesu FT-817
    Serial Port: COM8 (based on step 3, not that this can change if you plug in to a USB hub instead)
     Baud: 38400
     Data Bits, Stop Bits, Handshake- All Default
     PTT Method; CAT
     Mode: USB
    Split Operation: Rig
    PTT method: CAT
  6b. Audio
   Input: USB Sound (step 4)
   Speakers: USB Sound  (step 4)
7. Cross fingers....

Actually, this worked well. WSJT is doing the PTT no trouble. I probably could have used the sound ports on my PC as well, but I had the USB device lying around, and could limit the sounds going to it while still hearing my PC through regular audio.

Contact me if you need more information.

Regards,
Eli
KO4LGS

Robert AG6LK

Eli,

I have a a Signalink USB & I just came across this video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/dXha5UynvkE.
Do you think if I made this cable for my Signalink interface & used a usb cable from the PC to the uBitx that it woul work? I don’t think I would need any other cables, would I?

What type of USB connection is on the uBitx v6, is the normal USB connector?

I know I’m throwing quite a few questions at you. I really do appreciate taking the time to help me out. Thank you.

Robert, Ag6lk