Topics

Tuner Kit Progress

K9HZ <bill@...>

So for all the folks that sent me emails about the cheap auto tuner kit... i made some progress this week.  The cores came in and i would a staggered set that total 20 uh.  All checked out and tested.  Very simple to wind. I decided not to use chip capacitors.  They are expensive in the size needed to carry the current needed at large values. Silver mica capacitors are cheaper and easier for most people (like me with marginal eyes) to solder to boards.  Plus the space savings is almost nil. I also found some cheap latching relays so the current draw stays low and the price of the kit stays in the sweet spot.  This week ill design the discriminator (phase and magnitude) for power reading and tuning.   More next weekend.

image1.jpeg

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

Kelly Jack

Hi Bill,

Great project. Very interested in this as a remote tuner.

One query - why are the last two 5.2uH and 10.6uH as opposed to continuing to double up? Not a criticism just seeking to understand.

Regards

Simon VK3ELH

K9HZ <bill@...>

There is plenty of overlap in the inductance rank now.  The final kit will probably be closer to doubling.

On Jan 7, 2018, at 9:06 PM, Kelly Jack <kellyjack1968@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Great project. Very interested in this as a remote tuner.

One query - why are the last two 5.2uH and 10.6uH as opposed to continuing to double up? Not a criticism just seeking to understand.

Regards

Simon VK3ELH

David Holland

Hi Bill,

I am very interested in your affordable autotuner.  I must have missed the beginning of this thread.  Would you please be so kind as to let me know the link to the details.

Thank you.

Best regards,

David G4LDT

On 08/01/2018 04:43, K9HZ wrote:
[...]

I’ll publish the schematic next weekend.

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator