Topics

unboxing the ubitx v6


Rafael Diniz
 

Hi there,

I bougth a ubitx v6 basic kit, and I'm wondering what to do with the two
parts cut with the shape of the ubitx? It there a "case guide" on how
can I get my ubitx in a nice casing?

And btw, in the 12v jack, the positive is the center, and negative the
outer side of the jack, right?

Yay! I'll be on air soon.

Rafael PU2UIT


Rafael Diniz
 

ok. I'm on air on the 40m band, the radio is wonderful

for data modes, apart of the PTT I can do over serial, for the audio
path, which cables should I use to connect to line-in and line out of a
sound card? Normal mono or stereo jacks, or something else?

Cheers,
Rafael

On 1/5/21 8:28 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:
Hi there,

I bougth a ubitx v6 basic kit, and I'm wondering what to do with the two
parts cut with the shape of the ubitx? It there a "case guide" on how
can I get my ubitx in a nice casing?

And btw, in the 12v jack, the positive is the center, and negative the
outer side of the jack, right?

Yay! I'll be on air soon.

Rafael PU2UIT







Rafael Pinto [PU1OWL]
 

Rafael,

For radio audio out to pc line in, a stereo cable will do. On the other way around use two stereo plugs but leave the mid section of the plug disconnected. The mid section on the mic input is the PTT, hence a mono plug will put the radio in tx continuously. Using a regular stereo cable can lead to erratic behavior, as the radio will understand some low voltage as PTT pressed.

73 de PU1OWL
Rafael Pinto


Rafael Diniz
 

Thanks Rafael!

Btw, I noticed I get zero output on 6.9MHz, and full power on 7100. Why?

Rafael PU2UIT

On 1/5/21 10:23 PM, rafaelgcpp@gmail.com wrote:

For radio audio out to pc line in, a stereo cable will do. On the
other way around use two stereo plugs but leave the mid section of the
plug disconnected. The mid section on the mic input is the PTT, hence
a mono plug will put the radio in tx continuously. Using a regular
stereo cable can lead to erratic behavior, as the radio will
understand some low voltage as PTT pressed.


 

Hi,

6.9MHz is outside the ham bands.


Evan Hand
 

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:
Btw, I noticed I get zero output on 6.9MHz, and full power on 7100. Why?
I believe it is due to this section of the v6.1 code where the low pass filter is selected:

void setTXFilters_v5(unsigned long freq){
  
  if (freq > 21000000L){  // the default filter is with 35 MHz cut-off
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq >= 14000000L){ //thrown the KT1 relay on, the 30 MHz LPF is bypassed and the 14-18 MHz LPF is allowd to go through
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq > 7000000L){
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);    
  }
  else {
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 1);    
  }
}

Note that there is a small bug in the above, as the 60/80 meter filter will be selected if the frequency is set exactly at 7MHz.  Not sure that anyone would run that close to the band edge, but it does mean that taking any measurements you would want to be at least a few hertz above 7MHz.  I would have made the compare >=.  The same is true for 15m (21MHz).

You need to also take into account the sidetone offset when testing CW, as the actual carrier is shifted by the sidetone value.  Since I do not have a v6 I am not sure how the CWL or CWU mode is handled.  All of my uBITX have been converted to KD8CEC firmware.  To be safe, the best bet is to set a test frequency of 1kHz or more above the 21MHz and 7MHz filter selection points.

73
Evan
AC9TU


Alessandrochiste@...
 

Hi Rafael, my basic kit is on the way as well and i'm also researching housing options.
I have a 3d printer and i'm planning to print what's missing of the enclosure.
Would you kindly measure the two plexiglass parts for me? So that i can see if they fit in any 3d printed model.

Thank You


Rafael Diniz
 

Thanks a lot Evan!!

I'll set the arduido development environment here and test with
different filter settings. I'll create a fork of the firmware for playing.

Cheers,
Rafael

On 1/6/21 8:35 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:

Btw, I noticed I get zero output on 6.9MHz, and full power on
7100. Why?

I believe it is due to this section of the v6.1 code where the low
pass filter is selected:

void setTXFilters_v5(unsigned long freq){
  
  if (freq > 21000000L){  // the default filter is with 35 MHz cut-off
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq >= 14000000L){ //thrown the KT1 relay on, the 30 MHz
LPF is bypassed and the 14-18 MHz LPF is allowd to go through
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq > 7000000L){
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);    
  }
  else {
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 1);    
  }
}

Note that there is a small bug in the above, as the 60/80 meter filter
will be selected if the frequency is set exactly at 7MHz.  Not sure
that anyone would run that close to the band edge, but it does mean
that taking any measurements you would want to be at least a few hertz
above 7MHz.  I would have made the compare >=.  The same is true for
15m (21MHz).

You need to also take into account the sidetone offset when testing
CW, as the actual carrier is shifted by the sidetone value.  Since I
do not have a v6 I am not sure how the CWL or CWU mode is handled. 
All of my uBITX have been converted to KD8CEC firmware.  To be safe,
the best bet is to set a test frequency of 1kHz or more above the
21MHz and 7MHz filter selection points.

73
Evan
AC9TU


Jack, W8TEE
 

Evan:

The function can do away with the cascading if statement block several ways. You could use a switch/case statement block, but that still creates a jump table and redundant calls to digitalWrite(). See if this would work:

#define BAND15    0
#define BAND20    1
#define BAND40    2
#define BAND80    3

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  setTXFilters_v5(BAND15);
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

void setTXFilters_v5(int band)
{
  static int filterParameters[4][3] = {
    {0, 0, 0},  // 15M
    {1, 0, 0},  // 20M
    {0, 1, 0},  // 40M
    {0, 0, 1}   // 80M
  };
  digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, filterParameters[band][0]);
  digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, filterParameters[band][1]);
  digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, filterParameters[band][2]);
}

This version uses no cascading if statement block so it should execute slightly faster. I doubt that it will save any memory because of the static array I've added.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 11:36:25 AM EST, Rafael Diniz <rafael@...> wrote:


Thanks a lot Evan!!

I'll set the arduido development environment here and test with
different filter settings. I'll create a fork of the firmware for playing.

Cheers,
Rafael

On 1/6/21 8:35 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:
>
>    Btw, I noticed I get zero output on 6.9MHz, and full power on
>    7100. Why?
>
> I believe it is due to this section of the v6.1 code where the low
> pass filter is selected:
>
> void setTXFilters_v5(unsigned long freq){
>   
>   if (freq > 21000000L){  // the default filter is with 35 MHz cut-off
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
>   }
>   else if (freq >= 14000000L){ //thrown the KT1 relay on, the 30 MHz
> LPF is bypassed and the 14-18 MHz LPF is allowd to go through
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 1);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
>   }
>   else if (freq > 7000000L){
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 1);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);    
>   }
>   else {
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
>     digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 1);    
>   }
> }
>
> Note that there is a small bug in the above, as the 60/80 meter filter
> will be selected if the frequency is set exactly at 7MHz.  Not sure
> that anyone would run that close to the band edge, but it does mean
> that taking any measurements you would want to be at least a few hertz
> above 7MHz.  I would have made the compare >=.  The same is true for
> 15m (21MHz).
>
> You need to also take into account the sidetone offset when testing
> CW, as the actual carrier is shifted by the sidetone value.  Since I
> do not have a v6 I am not sure how the CWL or CWU mode is handled. 
> All of my uBITX have been converted to KD8CEC firmware.  To be safe,
> the best bet is to set a test frequency of 1kHz or more above the
> 21MHz and 7MHz filter selection points.
>
> 73
> Evan
> AC9TU
>






--
Jack, W8TEE


Rafael Diniz
 

the rectangle shaped parts are 17.6 cm by 8.3cm (front and back panels),
and the distance between front and back is 17cm.

Rafael

On 1/6/21 10:56 AM, Alessandrochiste@hotmail.it wrote:
Hi Rafael, my basic kit is on the way as well and i'm also researching
housing options.
I have a 3d printer and i'm planning to print what's missing of the
enclosure.
Would you kindly measure the two plexiglass parts for me? So that i
can see if they fit in any 3d printed model.

Thank You


Alessandrochiste@...
 

the rectangle shaped parts are 17.6 cm by 8.3cm (front and back panels),
and the distance between front and back is 17cm.
Thank you!


Rubens Kamimura
 

Olá Rafael.

Melhor verificar antes de ligar. 
Verifique a continuidade para chassis (o negativo).
Uso uBITX v4, o meu tem três pinos, um dos lados é o negativo, o do meio  +13,8Vcc ou Power TX, e o outro da extremidade é o +12Vcc.

--
73's PY2PVB

Rubens Kamimura
Técnico em Eletrônica e Eletrotécnica
CFT/CRT-SP: 80254934820
Cel. +55 (18) 9-9819-2225 WhatsApp


Em ter., 5 de jan. de 2021 às 20:28, Rafael Diniz <rafael@...> escreveu:

Hi there,

I bougth a ubitx v6 basic kit, and I'm wondering what to do with the two
parts cut with the shape of the ubitx? It there a "case guide" on how
can I get my ubitx in a nice casing?

And btw, in the 12v jack, the positive is the center, and negative the
outer side of the jack, right?

Yay! I'll be on air soon.

Rafael PU2UIT








Rafael Diniz
 

Thanks Rubens. I just connected the 13.8V to the center, and the
negative to outer, and it is working fine!

Rafael

On 1/7/21 10:47 AM, Rubens Kamimura wrote:
Olá Rafael.

Melhor verificar antes de ligar. 
Verifique a continuidade para chassis (o negativo).
Uso uBITX v4, o meu tem três pinos, um dos lados é o negativo, o do
meio  +13,8Vcc ou Power TX, e o outro da extremidade é o +12Vcc.

--
73's PY2PVB

Rubens Kamimura
Técnico em Eletrônica e Eletrotécnica
CFT/CRT-SP: 80254934820
Cel. +55 (18) 9-9819-2225 WhatsApp


Em ter., 5 de jan. de 2021 às 20:28, Rafael Diniz
<rafael@rhizomatica.org <mailto:rafael@rhizomatica.org>> escreveu:

Hi there,

I bougth a ubitx v6 basic kit, and I'm wondering what to do with
the two
parts cut with the shape of the ubitx? It there a "case guide" on how
can I get my ubitx in a nice casing?

And btw, in the 12v jack, the positive is the center, and negative the
outer side of the jack, right?

Yay! I'll be on air soon.

Rafael PU2UIT








Rafael Diniz
 

Just a follow up, I committed to my ubitxv6 firmware fork to keep the
LPF_B enabled down to 4.5 MHz:
https://github.com/DigitalHERMES/ubitxv6

I added a Makefile also, for those who don't like the arduino IDE.

Rafael

On 1/6/21 8:35 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 07:49 PM, Rafael Diniz wrote:

Btw, I noticed I get zero output on 6.9MHz, and full power on
7100. Why?

I believe it is due to this section of the v6.1 code where the low
pass filter is selected:

void setTXFilters_v5(unsigned long freq){
  
  if (freq > 21000000L){  // the default filter is with 35 MHz cut-off
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq >= 14000000L){ //thrown the KT1 relay on, the 30 MHz
LPF is bypassed and the 14-18 MHz LPF is allowd to go through
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);
  }
  else if (freq > 7000000L){
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 1);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 0);    
  }
  else {
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_A, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_B, 0);
    digitalWrite(TX_LPF_C, 1);    
  }
}

Note that there is a small bug in the above, as the 60/80 meter filter
will be selected if the frequency is set exactly at 7MHz.  Not sure
that anyone would run that close to the band edge, but it does mean
that taking any measurements you would want to be at least a few hertz
above 7MHz.  I would have made the compare >=.  The same is true for
15m (21MHz).

You need to also take into account the sidetone offset when testing
CW, as the actual carrier is shifted by the sidetone value.  Since I
do not have a v6 I am not sure how the CWL or CWU mode is handled. 
All of my uBITX have been converted to KD8CEC firmware.  To be safe,
the best bet is to set a test frequency of 1kHz or more above the
21MHz and 7MHz filter selection points.

73
Evan
AC9TU