Topics

uBITX woes, feeling disheartened. #ubitx

David Beal

Hi all,

Since time is short for me, I went ahead and ordered and just received a new board. This new one appears to work.
So, for anyone who wants the original board with all hardware (received with the new board) and a couple extra relays, message me with a reasonable offer please.  It receives but does not currently fully function as described in these posts.

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ

rlawson695@...

Ran :  does rx mean receive, if it does? The radio has been  reviveing the last four weeks  very good hearing  stations all over the world.  73’s de AC8XZ

Thats not OK.. your rx will not work!

Switch off power and check the contact continuity as per table I sent you!

At 12-02-2018, you wrote:
make that K1 Rec. pin3=0 volts sorry 73's de AC8XZ

Now the readings looks normal!

At 12-02-2018, you wrote:
ok how about these readings; K1 Rec. pin1=0volts pin3=12volts pin5=12 volts pin =8 12 volts pin9=12 volts pin12=0volts pin14=0volts pin16=0 volts K1 Trans pin1=12 pin3=0volts pin5=12volts pin8=12volts pin9=0volts pin12=0volts pin14=0volts pin16=0 volts K3 Trans. pin1=0 volts pin3=0 volts pin5=0 volts pin8=12 volts pin9=0 volts pin12=0 volts pin12=0 volts pin14=0 volts pin16=0 volts KT1 Trans. pin1=0 volts pin3=0 volts pin5=0 volts pin8=12 volts pin9=0 volts pin12=0 volts pin14=0 volts pin16=0 volts KT2 Trans. pin1=0 volts pin3=0 volts pin5=0 volts pin8=12 volts pin9=0 volts pin12=0 volts pin14=0 volts pin16=0 volts KT3 Trans. pin1=0 volts pin3=0 volts pin5=0 volts pin8=12 volts pin9=0 volts pin12=0 volts pin14=0 volts pin16=0 volts. VOM Black to Antenna Ground Red to pin being tested. hope this is good readings 73's de AC8XZ

rlawson695@...

raj ;  I messed up twice on pin3=12 volt on rec. sorry had some people drop in while I was trying to post.

That is correct, you count the pins in a clockwise direction. From your last readings things looks haywire.
Please see the table I sent you by PM.

Also when you reply please edit the previous message to keep only the relevant part. It will be clear as to
who or what question you are replying to. If you don't and leave the whole message then the whole previous
parts are removed.

Raj

At 11-02-2018, you wrote:
I am putting black lead of vom on ground (black wire of the power connection and red lead of vom on the pin I am measuring. Is this correct? The square pin 1is [] ok you said go clockwise counting so the pin under pin1 is next pin to count. Than at bottom of that row cross over to next row at bottom and that should be next pin to start counting. Am I correct. I will try today again to measure voltage again. Thanks for your help. 73s de AC8XZ

rlawson695@...

[...]

Sorry all the voltages you mention are wrong!

Pin 5 & 8 MUST have 12v if your board is connected to power supply 12v. No 12v means RX will not work..

Pin no 1 (Square pad) can have 12v ONLY on TX.

I suspect that you are not measuring properly or counting the pins wrong... cant be this way off.

Raj

At 11-02-2018, you wrote:
ok now that I slept for 12 hours doing better. ok square pad # 12v---pin #3 no volts---pin5 no volts---pin8--0 volts----pin#9--no volts---pin#12---12 volts---pin #14 12 volts---pin #16--12 volts. hop that is correct. with PCB & Radunio unplugged measured connunity, connunity ok. checked k3 no voltage on any pins on receive. Thanks 73's de AC8XZ

rlawson695@...

ok now that I slept for 12 hours doing better.  ok square pad # 12v---pin #3 no volts---pin5 no volts---pin8--0 volts----pin#9--no volts---pin#12---12 volts---pin #14 12 volts---pin #16--12 volts.  hop that is correct.   with PCB & Radunio unplugged measured connunity, connunity ok.   checked k3 no voltage on any pins on receive.  Thanks 73's de AC8XZ

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

Get well first  then worry about your radio chris

On 10 Feb 2018 04:23, "rlawson695 via Groups.Io" <rlawson695=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
ok back again. flu decided to give up and leave.   on receive K1 Pad 12vnext three in line no voltage. other side across from pad ,first three 12 volts. last one in line 0 volts,  k3 no voltage to any pins. With pcb & radunio unplugged I measured countunity from red 12v to d7 and had countunity. when not felling good right now might be time to go hug the toilet.  73"s de AC8XZ

No very helpful for diagnosis unless you spell out pin numbers.

Start with the SQUARE PAD as pin 1 and then clockwise 3 5 8 - 9 12 14 16

01-03-05--08
16-14-12--09

The in between pins are not there..

Raj

At 10-02-2018, you wrote:
ok back again. flu decided to give up and leave. on receive K1 Pad 12vnext three in line no voltage. other side across from pad ,first three 12 volts. last one in line 0 volts, k3 no voltage to any pins. With pcb & radunio unplugged I measured countunity from red 12v to d7 and had countunity. when not felling good right now might be time to go hug the toilet. 73"s de AC8XZ

rlawson695@...

ok back again. flu decided to give up and leave.   on receive K1 Pad 12vnext three in line no voltage. other side across from pad ,first three 12 volts. last one in line 0 volts,  k3 no voltage to any pins. With pcb & radunio unplugged I measured countunity from red 12v to d7 and had countunity. when not felling good right now might be time to go hug the toilet.  73"s de AC8XZ

Arv Evans

Bill

Glad my own uBITX work could be of value to someone else.

Arv
_-_

I am glad you went to the trouble to post this. I have been puzzling how to do this myself because the switch connection did not make sense to me. Your sketches reflect the way I thought I should do it. Thanks for confirming for me.

73

Bill  W6SDI

William Londree <ventura_bill@...>

Arv,

I am glad you went to the trouble to post this. I have been puzzling how to do this myself because the switch connection did not make sense to me. Your sketches reflect the way I thought I should do it. Thanks for confirming for me.

73

Bill  W6SDI

Arv Evans

If you look at the schematic you can see that D7 is directly across the windings of relay K1.  The cathode
end is connected directly to +12V.  The other end is connected to the collector of Q15.  If you do not have
+12V at the cathode of D7 you should check for +12V on pin-1 of your power plug.  If no +12V there you
may not have the power supply ON or it is not connected to the power plug.   Scroll down for more
troubleshooting suggestions.

​If you have +12V at the power plug but not +12V at the cathode of D7 you should trace the +12V from
power plug to the cathode of D7 by following the +12V through your power switch and back to the
+12V connection (RED wire) which is on P1 on your uBITX main circuit board.    At P1 the red wire
should have +12V.  With the PCB disconnected from power and the Raduino board unplugged you
can measure continuity from the RED wire (+12V) on P1 to the cathode of D7.

Connecting +12V to your uBITX is a bit complex if you are not used to following schematic drawings
and doing a little circuit tracing as you go.

This excerpt is from the uBITX Wire up instructions on the web page:
  • Solder the 1N4007 diode across the DC connector. The ring of the diode should go to the
    positive tab of the DC connector, the other side of the diode goes to the ground tab. (See
    the picture below)
  • Solder the DC cable’s red and brown wires together to the positive lug of the DC connector
  • Solder the black wire to the ground.

It might be easier if this section of the Wire up instructions said something like this:
  • The red wire provides power to all uBITX circuit except the transmit power amplifier.
    The brown wire is for power to the transmit power amplifier section.

  • The Red (+12V) wire and transmit +12V (brown wire) can be connected together by
    connecting both brown and red wires together on the cable connecting to P1.  Do this if
    you are running your transmit power amplifier section from the same +12V supply as the
    rest of your uBITX transceiver.

  • If running the transmit power amplifier section from a separate supply you should use
    the brown wire only for that purpose.  Do not connect the brown and red wires together if
    using separate power for the transmit power amplifier section.
    NOTE:  If you use the red +12V wire through the power switch and connect the brown +RF PA
    power directly from the power connector to P1 on your uBITX PCB, the transmit section
    will be powered even when your front panel power switch is OFF.

  • The loose diode provided with the uBITX connects between +12V (cathode end) and
    ground (anode end).  This is a reverse-voltage protection diode that should short if power
    is accidentally connected backwards.

  • The ground tab on your uBITX power connector should connect directly to uBITX P1
    via the black wire.  This is the ground for all uBITX circuits and should be reasonably
    short to minimize possibility of ground-loops.  If using a metal chassis you should add
    a black wire between the power connector ground tab and chassis ground.

​This may, or may not, help.

Arv K7HKL
_._

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
Read this old post, you should be able to follow along with your vom:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40808

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm, @AC8XZ wrote:
hello; ok I'm getting no 12 volts at D7 with ptt on and vom leads one on both des. sure do appicate all the help. so with no power at d7,where do I check next 73's de

rlawson695@...

hello ok when I push PPT the rec will drop out and TX will show up on screen. I hear a relay clicking when I release the PPT it will go back in rec. I can't tell which relay is clicking.MY watt/swr meter is on the fizz so I can't tell if there any power going out. I will try what you posted after Super Bowl is over.  73's de AC8XZ

Jerry Gaffke

Read this old post, you should be able to follow along with your vom:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40808

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm, @AC8XZ wrote:
hello; ok I'm getting no 12 volts at D7 with ptt on and vom leads one on both des. sure do appicate all the help. so with no power at d7,where do I check next 73's de

rlawson695@...

hello; ok I'm getting no 12 volts at D7 with ptt on and vom leads one on both des. sure do appicate all the help. so with no power at d7,where do I check next 73's de AC8XZ