Interesting article about Heathkit

Tom, wb6b

Very nice article... "The good old days!"
Your mileage may vary,
Jim W0CHL

Alex

Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing out such an interesting article.  Sitting here in the mountains of western NC while watching the first snowfall of this winter, this article brought back lots of pleasant memories.
Alex, WD2T

Ashhar Farhan

I could almost smell the heathkit warming up. does anybody remember the heathkit smell?
- f

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Alex <abmurphy2011@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing out such an interesting article.  Sitting here in the mountains of western NC while watching the first snowfall of this winter, this article brought back lots of pleasant memories.
Alex, WD2T

Jack, W8TEE

Yep. I built many Heathkits over the years. One of my first was a DX-20 and eventually graduated to a DX-60. Once the tubes warmed things up, it sorta warmed you up, too!

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

MadRadioModder

Fondly.  Very much missed.

MRM

On Dec 1, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

I could almost smell the heathkit warming up. does anybody remember the heathkit smell?
- f

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Alex <abmurphy2011@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing out such an interesting article.  Sitting here in the mountains of western NC while watching the first snowfall of this winter, this article brought back lots of pleasant memories.
Alex, WD2T

--

…_. _._

Robert D. Bowers

There was a store in Tampa, that I visited a couple of times - never had the money to buy anything, but I was amazed at the kits you could buy.  One (in the catalog) in particular really caught my attention - a digitizer that (as I remember) was good up to 40mhz, that operated through a serial port.  The digitizers you could get from the big names were so expensive back then that I never hoped to have one.

There were some kits available that I'd buy today (if they were affordable).  I also really liked their manuals - now that was technical writing!

Bob

On 12/1/20 12:14 PM, MadRadioModder wrote:
Fondly.  Very much missed.

*MRM*

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Alex <abmurphy2011@gmail.com <mailto:abmurphy2011@gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing out such an interesting article. Sitting here
in the mountains of western NC while watching the first snowfall
of this winter, this article brought back lots of pleasant memories.
Alex, WD2T
--

…_. _._

Jack, W8TEE

My $0.02 worth: Hans' manual for the QCX is even better than Heath's.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Ashhar Farhan

Hans' manuals are also a study guide. his work is so thorough and meticulous.
- f

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jerry Gaffke

Hans is amazing!
Wonderful manuals, worth reading even if you don't buy the kit.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 10:25 AM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:

My $0.02 worth: Hans' manual for the QCX is even better than Heath's.

Mike WA0YCN

Great story and great memories.  Building my SB-101 was a wonderful learning experience with a fabuloust product, and thanks to the excellent manual, turned out very well.  Still have the rig in my shack, running great, with all the original components (including tubes).
--
Mike
WA0YCN

Gordon Gibby

Great story! I still have my original SB-102; have refurbished three or four in that SB/HW line and have five more to go in my house waiting.

for what it is worth to those who are interested in emergency communications, these things are impervious to EMP.  Government tested several types of technologies in the 1980s ; I keep the article on our website.

On Dec 1, 2020, at 15:52, Mike WA0YCN <mgassman@...> wrote:

Great story and great memories.  Building my SB-101 was a wonderful learning experience with a fabuloust product, and thanks to the excellent manual, turned out very well.  Still have the rig in my shack, running great, with all the original components (including tubes).
--
Mike
WA0YCN

BruceN

Gordon,

Your website???

BruceN / K4TQL

--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Gordon Gibby

qsl.net/nf4rc

But that particular article is here

On Dec 2, 2020, at 08:41, BruceN <k4tql@...> wrote:

Gordon,

Your website???

BruceN / K4TQL

--
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  -- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

_Dave_ AD0B

Gordon
Sure do not like seeing the graph with the center point so near us. We keep our non computerized diesel vehicles inside our steel shop. Lots of fuel in the storage tank...

I didn't buy but one Heathkit. Had a Knight and an Eiko
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys