Topics

BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

John P

Happy New Year Everyone!

BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

Join us as we make contacts from BITX40 to BITX40 on 7.277 MHz in 40 meters!

This is a worldwide event for BITX40 stations starting at 7pm in each time zone. To participate, call CQ BITX on Sunday, starting at 7pm your local time. The BITX QSO Night continues through the evening and conditions usually improve after sunset, so it is worthwhile to participate later in the evening.

Suggested Best Operating Practices:

Work at QRP power levels unless conditions require more power.
Call and listen for CQ BITX on the hour and every quarter hour.
It is helpful if you call CQ BITX with your callsign, name and location.
Repeat your callsign a number of times during your CQ BITX and during QSO's.
Start a QSO by confirming the callsign, location, name and signal report of the other operator.
Say the callsign, name and location of the other operator so others can hear.
If the frequency is busy, avoid long conversations.
After your initial QSO is complete, ask if there are any other stations who would like to contact.

Report your QSO's, discuss propagation, noise, signal reports, audio reports, antenna type, etc. in this thread.

This is an undirected, scheduled event.  The BITX QSO Night relies on you to call CQ BITX to initiate contacts with other stations, so warm up that final and transmit a few calls on Sunday evening.  Talk to you then!
--
John - WA2FZW

David Arthur

If realtime coordination is desired, please join the Discord (see link in my sig below). I finally have my bitx operating from my office so I can join the QSO without freezing to death this time :)

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:
Happy New Year Everyone!

[...]

David K4DBZ
Unofficial bitx chatroom: https://discord.gg/CrHvWFc

at91r40008

Local time PST, MST, CST or EST?
--
73, Yvon NU6I

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>

So from the West Coast you have 4 hours to make contacts from 4PM PST to 8PM PST.

Dave WI6R

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2018, at 10:09 PM, at91r40008 <yvon@...> wrote:

Local time PST, MST, CST or EST?
--
73, Yvon NU6I

at91r40008

thank you Dave.

Sent from my iPad

--
73, Yvon NU6I

Arvo W0VRA

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 11:57 am, John P wrote:
This is a worldwide event for BITX40 stations...
And µBITX stations, too?

John P

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 08:23 am, Arvo KD9HLC wrote:
And µBITX stations, too?
Of course! If it wasn't so cold in the basement, I might have had mine working by now!

--
John - WA2FZW

John P

Anyone else on? Nothing but noise here!
--
John - WA2FZW

lostfrogsrecords

Nothing here in Brentwood TN, EM65 at 6:20 CST.  Using my uBitX, meter shows 8-10W, nothing but static.

Dave KI4PSR

On 1/7/2018 6:12 PM, John P wrote:
Anyone else on? Nothing but noise here!
--
John - WA2FZW

Scott McDonald

Nothing here in Illinois either- maybe 3 or 4 hours earlier sometime?  Band is awfully long here by 7p. 73 Scott ka9p

Make something good happen!

On 1/7/2018 6:12 PM, John P wrote:
Anyone else on? Nothing but noise here!
--
John - WA2FZW

Tom VE3THR

Al VE3RRD and Tom VE3THR are in QSO on 7.277 right now. Not hearing anyone anywhere YET! 00:58 HRS UTC.

Tom VE3THR

Is everyone QRV on 7.277 or 7.177? Never think to try 177. Still keeping the freq warm up here. temp up to +19 deg F outside - heat wave!

lostfrogsrecords

I listened to both, nothing heard.  We are having a significant warm up here, going to be above freezing for a few days.  I will check the antenna tomorrow!

Dave, KI4PSR

On 1/7/2018 7:10 PM, Tom VE3THR wrote:
Is everyone QRV on 7.277 or 7.177? Never think to try 177. Still keeping the freq warm up here. temp up to +19 deg F outside - heat wave!

Arvo W0VRA

I watched the band go dead after it got dark here.

Tom VE3THR

noticed same thing here up north since last fall. After grey line NOTHING! Local path only. I suggest earlier times - 4pm EDT - 2100 Z perhaps. Real hit and miss an evening net this time of year and crappy propagation. Thanks for trying. I usually listen on 7.277 during the day if I'm in the shack and not doing my "chores". Don't be afraid to call CQ anytime anywhere.

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

This is kinda  normal....the critical frequency (vertical 180 degree refraction) is dropping to 80 meters or BELOW right after dark over a lot of North America....traffic hounds in the north are having to use 160 meters at times....

Cuba station checked into my WINLINK server in late afternoon on 40 meters --- 570 km south of me, great propagation.

Australia has multiple web pages that show exactly how propgation is going and what frequencies will work for what distances, anywhere in the world, all based on radioionosonde data gathered from those stations scattered around the world.....

take a look at this web page:   http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/5

As I write this, the critical frequency for most of north america is TWO MEGAHERTZ.

If you're working a longer distances, the MUF will of course be higher than the CRITICAL FREQUENCY as glancing signals are much more easily refracted than straight-up-and-down ones, but this is all fairly well understood and available information now for all of us to use!

Cheers,

gordon