Topics

New nano board displays only "ubitx v4.3" #bitx20help #bitx20 #arduino #antennas #audiocircuit

Gary Rindfuss <rindfussg@...>

Greetings i am pretty new here and I want to thank everyone in advance for their help.
I am trying to sort out an issue with a digiboad that I had installed that worked for a while then quit. It had been suggested that I replace the nano board. I ordered some on Amazon. They are the kind where you solder the header pins in so they gave the right way.  The chip is marked 328p
I load the v 4.3 sketch on it and when you turn it on you get only "ubitx v4.3 in the display nothing else.  (Photo)
I have tried a couple of the nanos and get the same result.  I still have the original nano the radio works fine with it it just won't talk to the digi board.
I am sure there is probably something I don't  understand about loading a sketch on a new nano board? But the sketch does load without error.
Any help much appreciated
Gary
KC3KSC

Owen Vinall

Hi Gary,
I flashed a spare Nano or tried to using the IDE Software with verbose ticked for the Upload option. It kept failing with a  can't sync 500 error. I found I had to select the OLD BOOTLOADER option under Tools. After that I was able to flash the Nano with one of the Ubitx Software version Sketches.
Or did your flashing process terminate correctly.
Arduino's can be a bit difficult so don't give up.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, 8:03 am Gary Rindfuss, <rindfussg@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry Gary.
I misread your email. Ignore my comments.

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, 9:10 am Owen Vinall via groups.io, <vinall284=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I don't think I worded my first post very well.
I am trying to install a new nano board. The v 4.3 sketch loads properly no errors when it compiles or loads. This board seems to be the identical physical replacement from the same manufacturer as the original nano from HF. But when installed and powered up I get only "ubitx v4.3" in the display. No other function or lines of display. I have tried 3 different nanos from the bunch I got on Amazon all the same result.  The original nano works ok for normal ssb operation but not with the digi board and is loaded from the same sketch file as the others.  A foto of the screen is attached.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Many thanks
Gary

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 5:42 PM Owen Vinall <vinall284@...> wrote:
Sorry Gary.
I misread your email.
[...]

Evan Hand

Gary,
Did you try powering up the rig without the USB connection to the Nano from the digi board?  There may be an issue with the digi board.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bob Lunsford

Somewhere I read that after some changes were made, the V6 had to be turned off and back on for the changes to take effect. I think there was a few seconds delay in turning it back on required (in the commentary), IF I remember correctly.

Perhaps someone here can clarify this or report if there is any value to this suggestion.

Bob — KK5R

On Thursday, November 12, 2020, 6:58:03 PM EST, Gary Rindfuss <rindfussg@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks yes I did.  I took the digi board completely out of the loop. If I put the original nano in the radio acts as a normal v 4 ubitx. I can't figure out why these replacements won't work?

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 7:09 PM Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Gary,
Did you try powering up the rig without the USB connection to the Nano from the digi board?  There may be an issue with the digi board.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Gary,
Is it possible to remove the Raduino and display from the case and connect to the USB port on your computer without the mainboard?  The Raduino should powerup and the display should show the normal frequency screen.

If this does not work, then my next thought is the display or the Raduino board as the digi board supplier suggested.  If it does work, then there may be a wiring issue in the case.

This is really a head-scratcher.  I cannot see why the one Nano works and the 3 others do not.  Are you sure that the Arduino programs are the same?  When I read your statements it reads like you reprogrammed the original Nano with the files (sketch) that are the same as the 3 new Nano programs.

There is one other thing that you could try: reprogram one of the new Nanos with KD8CEC software that works with the 16x2 display.  That would be in this archive:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
The correct file would be in the uBITXV234 folder.  The file for the parallel display is UBITX_CEC_V1.200_16P.hex
you will need the Xloader program to load the hex file.

73
Evan
AC9TU