Thinking about buying a V6 but I have questions.

Bill Carpenter

I had a V4 but sold it because I wasn't using it that much and I was concerned about it not meeting TX purity standards.  It was a fun rig though.  So I'm thinking about getting a V6 because it appears the purity concerns my have been addressed.   But I have questions:

1.  I am a CW op.  There evidently is an issue with latency on CW which would be a deal killer for me.  I see some posts suggesting that there is firmware out there that addresses and solves the problem.  I want to hear from CW OPS with a V6 - is that true for sure?
2.  I ordered and built an AGC kit for my V4 that worked well but can't remember who I got it from - is it still available?
3.  Is the audio "pop" upon TX no longer an issue?
4.  Is the rig readily available in these Covid times?

Thanks in advance!

73, Bill NZ0T

Support HF Signal

Hello Bill,

I will answer the last part of your query and allow others to answer the technical details.

We are shipping the rigs without any problem as of now. However we are only shipping vide DHL. So if you place your order we can dispatch the same in a couple of days and you should be able to get the order within 5 to 10 days after dispatch.

Hope that helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Thomas

--
Support@HFSignals

--
Support@...

Curt

Bill

The v5 and v6 both have reduced spurious and should be in vicinity of compliance in most nations I suppose, as well as US. My modified v4 is clean on all bands cw, and lower bands so far on ssb.

The ubitx is not designed for cw qsk. I can do okay sending but adapt. CEC firmware is better but still there are hardware limits. Still I managed hundreds of cw qsos with it.

If there's an audio pop it can be addressed, v6 cw ops can comment.

The popular agc circuit in the US was designed by nd6t, I don't know that its still kitted. It sold better than kits to remedy the spurs! The vk3ye LED LDR agc that I have had more success with had some recent discussion here, but I admit it may be harder to reproduce until a kit supplier finds suitable devices currently made.

The v6 does use a touch screen, not a more expensive one but it can be updated. It was much easier to customize the v5, but I think the v6 can be bought without the enclosure.

All should be thrilled for the opportunity to purchase a ubitx, thanks again to hfsignals and the global community of builders.

73 curt wb8yyy

AndyH

Hi Bill,

I have had a V3 for a few years and have enjoyed modding it.  Balancing output power, installing a pop fix, and other things.  I've had a new V6.2 on the air just under a month and it's a much better radio out of the box than my nodded V3.

The pop fix is incorporated into the board. TX/RX transitions are silent on a speaker. I haven't used phones yet.

I have a couple of the original AGC boards.  I've recently received one of the kits projects versions with an S meter output but haven't installed it yet.
https://shop.kit-projects.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=101

Check with W0EB at the Triumvirate Skonk Worx. They have a Teensy 4.0 hardware upgrade and their own code for the Raduino. One of the upgrades is a a new paddle interface that comes directly off the Teensy that's supposed to be very crisp. I'm using their upgraded Raduino but haven't used paddles yet. W0eb.com

73, Andy
KG5RKP

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 06:46 AM, Bill Carpenter wrote:
I had a V4 but sold it because I wasn't using it that much and I was concerned about it not meeting TX purity standards.  It was a fun rig though.  So I'm thinking about getting a V6 because it appears the purity concerns my have been addressed.   But I have questions:

1.  I am a CW op.  There evidently is an issue with latency on CW which would be a deal killer for me.  I see some posts suggesting that there is firmware out there that addresses and solves the problem.  I want to hear from CW OPS with a V6 - is that true for sure?
2.  I ordered and built an AGC kit for my V4 that worked well but can't remember who I got it from - is it still available?
3.  Is the audio "pop" upon TX no longer an issue?
4.  Is the rig readily available in these Covid times?

Thanks in advance!

73, Bill NZ0T

terry hughes

hi
is there any chance of getting back to India post to avoid customs duty in uk

i believe that there is a code to quote because ham radio equipment is free of duty

i think that the code is TARIC:8529 9020 00

terry gm4dso

Support HF Signal

Hello Terry,

India Post as yet hasn't started international operations and even though we are in constant touch with the local authorities we haven't still been able to get a definitive date as to when they are likely to commence international operations. Hence as such we are only dispatching orders vide DHL till India Posts start international operations.

Also we did get requests earlier from some customers to include the TARIC number which I believe varies from country to country in Europe. Since DHL doesn't have any specific entry in its form to Include the TARIC number we did include it in the address itself. Couple of  customers got back to us saying that its inclusion in the address space did help them. We can do it this way if the customer so desires. However please enquire with your local custom official about this.

Hope that helps,

Thanks and Regards,

Thomas
--