Topics

Any fix for V6 first character delay?

Donnie G <cfzepp@...>

Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?

Donnie / WA9TGT

ohwenzelph

I was disappointed that as I came the V6 seemed, to me, unusable for CW.
jer
aa1of

Evan Hand

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:07 AM, Donnie G wrote:
Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?
You can try the firmware that Reed N has written for the stock v6 uBITX.  Search the Groups.io site for messages from him.  Here is a starting point with the links to the GitHub repository:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/78757

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I worked on a V6 for another amateur. When it arrived I found the CW completely unusable. The other ham wanted Reed's software installed and when I did that the CW latency went away. Reed's software addressed some other things, too. I think the display operates a little more smoothly too.

Farhan has stated that he is a phone operator and CW in the uBitX is 'an afterthought'. Ther is also no CW bandwidth filter. Over the years there have been other radios that had CW added as an afterthought and CW hams had to choose between making modifications or buying a different radio. The software modification is pretty easy:)

I have a V3 and I like it even with it's warts. I doubt there is a *perfect* radio.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 7:57 AM, Evan Hand wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 06:07 AM, Donnie G wrote:
Is there any fix yet for the v6 first character delay in cw mode?
You can try the firmware that Reed N has written for the stock v6 uBITX.  Search the Groups.io site for messages from him.  Here is a starting point with the links to the GitHub repository:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/78757
73
Evan
AC9TU

IW4AJR Loris <lorisbollina@...>

Hi Bill
The BITX and the whole µBITX series was born as an SSB rig, the possibility of use for the CW is only for occasional use as well as for other ways of communication (even the ILER series does the same), both start from the concept of limiting initial costs of the rig, for different uses it is expected that it can be hacked and modified for its own purposes ...
If you have chosen a KIT you have to expect that hardware and software variants are needed to use it the way you want it, if you want a smooth rig of any kind, you can spend a thousand dollars and solve the problems.
If, on the other hand, you want a KIT for CW or other digital modes of transmission, you have to orient yourself on other products, there are several specialized ones for digital transmissions, but obviously these do not transmit in SSB ...
Like it or not, you have to choose between one and the other or adapt to modify them or spend more thousands dollars !, The choice is yours.

Cordial greetings, de IW4AJR Loris

Bill Cromwell

Hi Loris,

None of that was a complaint on my part. There are some simple things we can do to get better performance from the uBitX on CW. The digital modes use SSB anyway so those are not an issue at all. The original post asked about the CW problem with the original software. I told him (and any others) about the software solution. The dreadful lag (latency) is not due to any hardware design problems. The CW on my V3 was usable but not so smooth. Installing the CEC software cleaned that up for me on the V3. On the V6 it is Reed's software.

I have made some hardware changes and will make some other changes to my own V3. I wonder where we can buy one of the 'perfect', ready made radios for only $1000 these days. There are a few radios that cost more than I paid for my first house! Not something that appeals to me:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 9:49 AM, IW4AJR Loris wrote:
[...]

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 05:01 PM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
Hi Loris,
73,

Bill KU8H
Hi Bill,
It is not necessary to have a "modern" radio to have a "perfect" radio for a thousand dollars ... try to compare the horrendous "modern" realizations with an "old" TR7, Collins KWM-380, TR4CW, Collins KWM or even better an old Signal-ONE CW-xxx series !!!
What a pity, they lack the whistles of the "modern" digital, they have a voice and a warm and welcoming CW sound, too bad, I miss the choked duck voice of the "very modern" FT1200 !!!! hehehe ...
For a thousand dollars you get a respectable shack, of course it doesn't have all the lights, useless knobs, keyboards and switches of the modern ones, but if you don't try to make your PC do the OM by himself, but you try to do the HAM alone, with a little patience, a little bit of practice and a lot of passion, you do much more and more pleasantly (for years and not days) than what you do by spending more than the price of your home!
Cordial greetings ...
de IW4AJR Loris

Bill Cromwell

Hi Loris,

Those older radios also don't have layers upon layers of menus just to dim the panel lights (or LEDs). That is something else I like about those wonderful older radios. I have some that were made in the early 70s (and even much older). When the electric utilities fail they don't work or they don;t work very long. The battery operated, low power radios just keep on banging away :) I paid less than a thousand dollars for the entire collection,

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 10/17/20 12:41 PM, IW4AJR Loris wrote:
[...]

Arv Evans

If my ageing memory is still working, I seem to remember that some
of the alternative software packages have fixed this problem.  Several
coders have written alternative software to add different displays, and
to fix certain problems.   Others with better knowledge can probably
point you in the right direction.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:45 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was disappointed that as I came the V6 seemed, to me, unusable for CW.
jer
aa1of

Bob Lunsford

This is a general question re CW missing dit/latency on the V6, and possibly others.

First, I do not do iambic, never learned to do it. I am a straight key "ditty-bopper." Therefore, I wonder if the missing dit/latency applies only to the iambic modes or to operation with a straight key — or both? If only with straight key mode, then it will matter to me and my son. If only in iambic mode/s, then my son and I will not really care since we neither one do iambic.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 1:04:52 PM EDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

If my ageing memory is still working, I seem to remember that some
of the alternative software packages have fixed this problem.  Several
coders have written alternative software to add different displays, and
to fix certain problems.   Others with better knowledge can probably
point you in the right direction.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:45 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was disappointed that as I came the V6 seemed, to me, unusable for CW.
jer
aa1of

Ashhar Farhan

I do CW as frequently as I do SSB. However, I do it with a straight key. I cant handle a paddle. This bug is paddle specific. Let me get a paddle and sort it out.

On Sun 18 Oct, 2020, 5:22 AM Bob Lunsford via groups.io, <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Farhan,
I agree with you, it is a defect that occurs only with the paddle, I have not tried if in both modes A and B, but in mode A is present, I think it is linked you have various "delays" inserted here and there in the software.
I understand the need to give some deley times between functions to allow the relays to switch, but I believe there is missing a delay between TX switching and enabling the paddle to transmit, obviously it's just a thought, I haven't studied the software from this point of view.
I also use a straight key on the uBITX, my Century ARRL paddle is fixed on one of the TR7 stations ...
73 de IW4AJR Loris

Reed N

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 09:04 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
Let me get a paddle and sort it out.

When ever I work CW I use a paddle with an external keyer. never liked built in
keyers in rigs.

Raj

At 18/10/2020, you wrote:
I do CW as frequently as I do SSB. However, I do it with a straight key. I cant handle a paddle. This bug is paddle specific. Let me get a paddle and sort it out.

On Sun 18 Oct, 2020, 5:22 AM Bob Lunsford via groups.io, <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io > wrote:
This is a general question re CW missing dit/latency on the V6, and possibly others.

First, I do not do iambic, never learned to do it. I am a straight key "ditty-bopper." Therefore, I wonder if the missing dit/latency applies only to the iambic modes or to operation with a straight key — or both? If only with straight key mode, then it will matter to me and my son. If only in iambic mode/s, then my son and I will not really care since we neither one do iambic.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, October 17, 2020, 1:04:52 PM EDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

If my ageing memory is still working, I seem to remember that someÂ
of the alternative software packages have fixed this problem.  SeveralÂ
coders have written alternative software to add different displays, andÂ
to fix certain problems.   Others with better knowledge can probablyÂ
point you in the right direction.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:45 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io <Ohwenzelph= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was disappointed that as I came the V6 seemed, to me, unusable for CW.
jer
aa1of

ara18@...

With regard to the CW missing dit/latency on the V6, I have a V6.1 and I am seeing this problem when using a straight key as well as a paddle. Being new to this group I do have a question about Reed's software fix.  I am about to install Reed's software and I am not sure if many hams have installed his fix to verify that it has been thoroughly tested and my question is will it be a part of the next V6.X build and should I just wait for the next build to be released?

Thanks for the help es 73,  Bob, W3ARA

Vic WA4THR

Reed's V6 software is independent of what comes with the uBitX, but like the KD9CEC software for earlier uBitX's (which requires hardware changes to work with the current V6) and Allard Munter's sketch for the BitX40, these 3rd party program enhancements provide some significant improvements. These changes are fully reversible...if you don't like it, you can just reload the OEM sketch, but I rarely hear of anyone doing that. Reed and Munter are very available on this forum or by email and have been helpful supporting their free software, so both are well by users. The ability to tinker with the software and hardware, as both are open-sourced, has led to some fantastic improvements in these radios and one of the great things they offer to the hobby.

A friend had the new V6 and was frustrated with the CW performance, so he sent it to me and I loaded Reed's sketch. It provided a solution to the delayed first "dit" and also sped up the screen quite a bit. He was happy with the update. I upgraded the OEM sketch to Allard's in my BitX40 several years ago, and then further modified it to add additional features that I wanted. I also updated the sketch in my V4 uBitX to the CEC software and have made a number of hardware changes and additions for the same reason. The result is that I have some very satisfactory radios. Sure they worked when first powered up, but I got just as big a thrill with each improvement afterwards.

=Vic=

Arv Evans

Bob W3ARA

< I am about to install Reed's software and I am not sure if many hams have installed his fix to verify that it has been thoroughly tested>
Yes, several thousand uBITX builders now use Reed's software and seem
to like it.  It does fix the CW 1st bit delay problem.

Once you learn how to install Reed's code you can also use that process
to restore your uBITX original code, or even your own code modifications.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 8:38 AM ara18 via groups.io <ara18=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
With regard to the CW missing dit/latency on the V6, I have a V6.1 and I am seeing this problem when using a straight key as well as a paddle. Being new to this group I do have a question about Reed's software fix.  I am about to install Reed's software and I am not sure if many hams have installed his fix to verify that it has been thoroughly tested and my question is will it be a part of the next V6.X build and should I just wait for the next build to be released?

Thanks for the help es 73,  Bob, W3ARA

Evan Hand

I have read nothing but good reviews of Reed's software.  If I had a v6 I would install it before trying anything else.  I also believe that I read his software can display the current calibration settings without changing anything.  I would suggest that anyone using that software go to those screens and copy down the values.  These can be used in the future if you need to replace the Nano or decide to upgrade the Nano to a Teensy or one of the other more capable controllers.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ara18@...

Thank you Evan, Arv and Vic for answering my query on Reed's Software install. I'll go through with Farhan's install process and let everyone know how the process and the fix works.

73,  Bob, W3ARA

Bob Lunsford

Thank you very much, Ashar. With this, I will not have to worry about it.

With my previous V6 that I sent to my son, I did a simple check to see if the mode worked by keying into a dummy load and saw no problem but wondered if I'd missed something.

Thanks again for your information.

Bob — KK5R