Topics

Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Jerry Gaffke
 

What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?


On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

My concept is to create a 6" x 5.5" PCB.  It would go on top of .5" standoffs on top of the uBitx main PCB.  One would remove the raduino, save the display, discard the nano/raduino (or better, use for a different project), and use the board as I'm creating it instead.  The idea is to create a clean, 2-PCB design, with a tuner, USB connectivity, built in connectors, etc.  It would replace some of the parts that come with the uBitx normally, make the case more compact, and remove the requirements to wire everything into an enclosure, allowing a clean 3D printed setup or however one would like.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>
 

Hmmm....fairly ambitious goals, my friend!   


If you can put a TUNER in that space, you're a wizard.   


For my preferences, any simple vox-type soundcard interface would be nice.     Maybe a mic preamp also / mic gain control of some sort.  


And an AGC circuit...


Having some sort of a power-meter, SWR bridge would eliminate my need to add another one outside (I like watching that)


I think it would be very nice to have an input that could auto-detect if it is 12V or 19-28V and automatically provide 12V for the main board and the higher voltage to the finals.   


I don't know how hard it would be to put a thermo-sensor on the FETs, but that would be a nice addition.   


I'm thinking yet another board (larger) somewhere would be needed for a real tuner able to handle a wide range of impedances....


Of course, these are all "luxury items"



my 2 cents worth!!   


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 10:10 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tell me your favorite uBitx mods
 
My concept is to create a 6" x 5.5" PCB.  It would go on top of .5" standoffs on top of the uBitx main PCB.  One would remove the raduino, save the display, discard the nano/raduino (or better, use for a different project), and use the board as I'm creating it instead.  The idea is to create a clean, 2-PCB design, with a tuner, USB connectivity, built in connectors, etc.  It would replace some of the parts that come with the uBitx normally, make the case more compact, and remove the requirements to wire everything into an enclosure, allowing a clean 3D printed setup or however one would like.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Terence Taylor
 

Sound card interface for digital modes, CAT interface.


On 12/31/2017 6:29 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU


Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

My current tuner PCB that I use on the 50W amplifier is 2" wide and 4.5" long, 2 sided, 7-inductor, 8-capacitor, including the arduino (leonardo) control circuity (caveat: I have a few components on the backside of the PCB... I aim for single side component on this).  But it should all fit.  The SWR Bridge is on a separate PCB, but consumes all of maybe 1" x 1" with the two FT43-37's, a few diodes, etc.

6" x 5.5" is a heck of a lot of real estate.  When doing AGC, I will have to see what I can do to get an analog signal back to the arduino to create an S-meter reading. 

CAT interface is easy, I'm pulling the USB connector to the edge.  That's a matter of programming, and to my knowledge, is the main limiting factor for most people wanting to do CAT control.  Unsure by soundcard interface, other than adding isolation transformers?  Can you not hook up the audio lines/etc to a computer right now as it is?

Fitting it all isn't an issue.  Fitting it all in cleanly and making good use of the front and back panel space is the hard part, and that's what I haven't decided on yet, is how to do the BNC/etc connectors so that it could easily fit into a case with no protrusions, since some things just take up a lot of real estate (display, the connectors down to the uBitx, the heatsinks for the PA, etc)

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:33 PM, Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...> wrote:

Hmmm....fairly ambitious goals, my friend!   


If you can put a TUNER in that space, you're a wizard.   


For my preferences, any simple vox-type soundcard interface would be nice.     Maybe a mic preamp also / mic gain control of some sort.  


And an AGC circuit...


Having some sort of a power-meter, SWR bridge would eliminate my need to add another one outside (I like watching that)


I think it would be very nice to have an input that could auto-detect if it is 12V or 19-28V and automatically provide 12V for the main board and the higher voltage to the finals.   


I don't know how hard it would be to put a thermo-sensor on the FETs, but that would be a nice addition.   


I'm thinking yet another board (larger) somewhere would be needed for a real tuner able to handle a wide range of impedances....


Of course, these are all "luxury items"



my 2 cents worth!!   


From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 10:10 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tell me your favorite uBitx mods
 
My concept is to create a 6" x 5.5" PCB.  It would go on top of .5" standoffs on top of the uBitx main PCB.  One would remove the raduino, save the display, discard the nano/raduino (or better, use for a different project), and use the board as I'm creating it instead.  The idea is to create a clean, 2-PCB design, with a tuner, USB connectivity, built in connectors, etc.  It would replace some of the parts that come with the uBitx normally, make the case more compact, and remove the requirements to wire everything into an enclosure, allowing a clean 3D printed setup or however one would like.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

John McFadden
 

A relay to select the board's power source (12 or 13.5v) or an alternate power input (24v or a variable input) as the feed to the finals, potentially with the system reading the voltages and the software calculating the approximate power. 

The user could then switch between two power levels with software, accommodating low power antennas like magnetic loops which have restrictions such as 10W CW and 25W SSB.

John

On Dec 31, 2017 10:10 PM, "Diver Martin" <diver.martin@...> wrote:
My concept is to create a 6" x 5.5" PCB.  It would go on top of .5" standoffs on top of the uBitx main PCB.  One would remove the raduino, save the display, discard the nano/raduino (or better, use for a different project), and use the board as I'm creating it instead.  The idea is to create a clean, 2-PCB design, with a tuner, USB connectivity, built in connectors, etc.  It would replace some of the parts that come with the uBitx normally, make the case more compact, and remove the requirements to wire everything into an enclosure, allowing a clean 3D printed setup or however one would like.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>
 

Hi Martin,

 A Second Story is a neat idea that could eliminate wiring with a suitable case that can take advantage of PCB mounted connectors.
Here's my wish list...

Important:
1) Well the top of my list is a really effective AGC.  This is what separates a really great rig from a really good rig.
The basic MicroBITX so reminds me of my SBE SB-33 (1966 - mobile rig) it is the audio derived AGC. 
Back in the day Collins S-Line had great (but complex) AGC that worked(s) great, but..
Nearly every Heathkit SSB rig back in the day had great AGC whether it was a tube HW-12 or a solid state HW-104.
Check out the HW-104 AGC system...

2) Solid CW Keying and for a paddle

3) USB interface to rear panel -  One big reason for this kit is to become proficient working with software.

4) Well if those are done an S-Meter is nice.

Nice to have:
4) Momentary button to toggle between VFO A and VFO B.  If you work split this is really necessary (Yes, I chase DX on QRP)

5) Mic Pre-Amp and Mic Gain -  I added this tonight with the PCB temporarily stuck on the rear panel (all my jacks are on the rear panel out of the way of knobs. 
It helps a little so I don't feel like I have to climb in the Mic, however a Speech Compressor might be more worthwhile.  Being able to use typical Electret Condenser Mics (e.g. ICOM radios) it needs more gain and an adjustment even if a PCB mounted internally accessible set and forget pot.

6) Keying interface for a Linear.  Band data and keying - This baby will drive an RF-KIT 2K+ LDMOS linear to legal limit. (when life is too short for QRP)

When you have nothing better to do:
7) VSWR Bridge with Display for forward/reflected power.  The tuner gets a lot simpler and an external tuner may not need power (manual tuner).

Oh, wait, didn't you do that one already?  LOL

Dave WI6R

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
73 Dave WI6R

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Oooh, I like that idea John.  Would be easy enough to do too.  Two power inputs, one 7 or 8V minimum for the logic and/or amp power, and a second dedicated power level supply.  Easy enough to do with two 5.5mm jacks.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 9:02 PM, John McFadden <johnamcf@...> wrote:
A relay to select the board's power source (12 or 13.5v) or an alternate power input (24v or a variable input) as the feed to the finals, potentially with the system reading the voltages and the software calculating the approximate power. 

The user could then switch between two power levels with software, accommodating low power antennas like magnetic loops which have restrictions such as 10W CW and 25W SSB.

John

On Dec 31, 2017 10:10 PM, "Diver Martin" <diver.martin@...> wrote:
My concept is to create a 6" x 5.5" PCB.  It would go on top of .5" standoffs on top of the uBitx main PCB.  One would remove the raduino, save the display, discard the nano/raduino (or better, use for a different project), and use the board as I'm creating it instead.  The idea is to create a clean, 2-PCB design, with a tuner, USB connectivity, built in connectors, etc.  It would replace some of the parts that come with the uBitx normally, make the case more compact, and remove the requirements to wire everything into an enclosure, allowing a clean 3D printed setup or however one would like.

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
What do you mean by motherboard?
Are you replacing the uBitx main board, for which the Raduino could be called a daughterboard?
Or perhaps you mean the Raduino board, for which the Nano could be called a daughterboard?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 06:29 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Dave,

I agree with many of your points, very specifically, the AGC.  I tried listening in with my uBitx once I got the case wired up, and then promptly had my ears blown off by a nearby static pop or something.  I haven't listened to it since, and won't until I get some form of AGC, hopefully RF-derived... I am very touchy about my hearing, as it's sensitive and you only get one set of years (I wore earplugs all new years this year... hope yours was quieter).  I need to figure out the proper AGC scheme that is best, it should be reasonably easy to do.

Down the line, but a quick note:  Panel space is the biggest premium I'm dealing with. The display alone takes up 3.2" of front panel space.  Either one has to create a mezzanine board to 'stack' buttons/encoders/etc vertically, or you start going to the back panel, the side panels, etc.

1) Already covered above
2) Already in my schematic (I use a BY-1)
3) Already in my schematic
4) S-meter would have to be derived from the AGC, but I see no reason it couldn't be.  I've added in an analog pin.
4b) I have one 'undefined' front panel button.  I'd like to have more if possible... I might add in an extra MCP23S17 to expand my IO's...  (I'm nearly full on the leonardo)
5) Not sure how to implement this one, but if you've got a rough schematic to point me to of your modifications, I can probably include it.  Depends on how the wires would need to go to the PCB below, or if it's something that can just be put inline with the microphone.  Could do a microphone amplifier I suppose...  This is probably the lowest priority out of the things listed for me.
6) It's easy enough to pipe the TX line out to a relay.  I'll consider it based on panel space.
7) Yep, already in the schematic.  For now I'll probably stick to linear / non-phase detector method, but it probably wouldn't be hard to modify for a phase detector.  Just would need to focus on how to do it on the cheap instead of using an AD8307 or 8302 (Which are like $10-25 at digikey).


On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:15 AM, Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...> wrote:
Hi Martin,

 A Second Story is a neat idea that could eliminate wiring with a suitable case that can take advantage of PCB mounted connectors.
Here's my wish list...

Important:
1) Well the top of my list is a really effective AGC.  This is what separates a really great rig from a really good rig.
The basic MicroBITX so reminds me of my SBE SB-33 (1966 - mobile rig) it is the audio derived AGC. 
Back in the day Collins S-Line had great (but complex) AGC that worked(s) great, but..
Nearly every Heathkit SSB rig back in the day had great AGC whether it was a tube HW-12 or a solid state HW-104.
Check out the HW-104 AGC system...

2) Solid CW Keying and for a paddle

3) USB interface to rear panel -  One big reason for this kit is to become proficient working with software.

4) Well if those are done an S-Meter is nice.

Nice to have:
4) Momentary button to toggle between VFO A and VFO B.  If you work split this is really necessary (Yes, I chase DX on QRP)

5) Mic Pre-Amp and Mic Gain -  I added this tonight with the PCB temporarily stuck on the rear panel (all my jacks are on the rear panel out of the way of knobs. 
It helps a little so I don't feel like I have to climb in the Mic, however a Speech Compressor might be more worthwhile.  Being able to use typical Electret Condenser Mics (e.g. ICOM radios) it needs more gain and an adjustment even if a PCB mounted internally accessible set and forget pot.

6) Keying interface for a Linear.  Band data and keying - This baby will drive an RF-KIT 2K+ LDMOS linear to legal limit. (when life is too short for QRP)

When you have nothing better to do:
7) VSWR Bridge with Display for forward/reflected power.  The tuner gets a lot simpler and an external tuner may not need power (manual tuner).

Oh, wait, didn't you do that one already?  LOL

Dave WI6R

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
73 Dave WI6R




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Gerry Kavanagh
 

I am planning on adding this audio filter/DSP project to mine... when I get it.

https://gi1mic.github.io/

/ Gerry

Adrian
 

Perhaps ALC meter too?

KD8CGH
 

Narrower audio filters for CW
Clean keying for CW
Pop elimination
QSK
Digital mode audio interface + PTT
AGC
SWR gauge
Auto Tuner
CAT control

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Not sure how I could do CW filter mods without significant mods.  What I'd like for most of the mods is one-wire in, one wire out.  Narrower CW filtering can be achieved by changing the cap values on the Bitx, so that's not one I'd probably aim for.
When you say clean keying for CW, I assume it's clicky, and has sharp edges?  Could be doable with a keyshaper on the output of the CW Tone.  I'll consider it.
QSK:  Pretty significant modification, one I'm not going to attempt with this pass I think.
Digital mode audio/PTT:  PTT in the works, digital mode would just require isolated transformers, no?
AGC: In the works :)
SWR Gauge:  In the works :)
ATU:  In the works :)
CAT Control:  In the works :)

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM, KD8CGH <rkayakr@...> wrote:
Narrower audio filters for CW
Clean keying for CW
Pop elimination
QSK
Digital mode audio interface + PTT
AGC
SWR gauge
Auto Tuner
CAT control




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

The Teensy3.2 is a great little uC, I've used it in a lot of other projects.  Removing the leonardo and replacing with a Teensy would yield a price delta of about ~+$15, as the ATMega32U4 is about $4, popcorn components another $1, and the teensy3.2 is $20.  The downside to a teensy3.2 in this case is that it'll have to require some level shifting for the display and a few other things I think maybe, as it's a 3.3V output IO. (Unless the display and other things can tolerate 3.3V, which I haven't looked into)

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:21 AM, gerrykav via Groups.Io <gerrykav@...> wrote:
I am planning on adding this audio filter/DSP project to mine... when I get it.

https://gi1mic.github.io/

/ Gerry




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

K5ESS
 

There are many 3.3v 16 X 2 displays advertised on Ebay.  Practically giving this one away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3-3V-HD44780-1602-LCD-Display-Module-16x2-Character-LCM-Blue-Blacklight-NEW-/162222360139?hash=item25c534c64b

Mike

K5ESS

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Diver Martin
Sent: Monday, January 1, 2018 3:33 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

 

The Teensy3.2 is a great little uC, I've used it in a lot of other projects.  Removing the leonardo and replacing with a Teensy would yield a price delta of about ~+$15, as the ATMega32U4 is about $4, popcorn components another $1, and the teensy3.2 is $20.  The downside to a teensy3.2 in this case is that it'll have to require some level shifting for the display and a few other things I think maybe, as it's a 3.3V output IO. (Unless the display and other things can tolerate 3.3V, which I haven't looked into)

 

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:21 AM, gerrykav via Groups.Io <gerrykav@...> wrote:

I am planning on adding this audio filter/DSP project to mine... when I get it.

https://gi1mic.github.io/

/ Gerry



 

--

Martin Held - AE7EU

http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

Figured out what my plan was on that front.  I want to re-use as much of the raduino as possible, so one thing I did to make my life easier was to use a 74HC595 shift register, frees up IO's, and uses ones I've already got to level shift up to 5V for the IO expanders (the relays are all 5V that I'm using / have already designed in).  This way, the stock display module that comes with the raduino can be used.

Though, that is pretty dang cheap :)

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:00 PM, K5ESS <k5ess.nothdurft@...> wrote:

There are many 3.3v 16 X 2 displays advertised on Ebay.  Practically giving this one away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-3-3V-HD44780-1602-LCD-Display-Module-16x2-Character-LCM-Blue-Blacklight-NEW-/162222360139?hash=item25c534c64b

Mike

K5ESS

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Diver Martin
Sent: Monday, January 1, 2018 3:33 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

 

The Teensy3.2 is a great little uC, I've used it in a lot of other projects.  Removing the leonardo and replacing with a Teensy would yield a price delta of about ~+$15, as the ATMega32U4 is about $4, popcorn components another $1, and the teensy3.2 is $20.  The downside to a teensy3.2 in this case is that it'll have to require some level shifting for the display and a few other things I think maybe, as it's a 3.3V output IO. (Unless the display and other things can tolerate 3.3V, which I haven't looked into)

 

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 3:21 AM, gerrykav via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I am planning on adding this audio filter/DSP project to mine... when I get it.

https://gi1mic.github.io/

/ Gerry



 

--

Martin Held - AE7EU

http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

AndyH
 

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 01:15 am, Dave Bottom wrote:
Hi Martin,
 
 A Second Story is a neat idea that could eliminate wiring with a suitable case that can take advantage of PCB mounted connectors.
Here's my wish list...
 
Important:
1) Well the top of my list is a really effective AGC.  This is what separates a really great rig from a really good rig.
The basic MicroBITX so reminds me of my SBE SB-33 (1966 - mobile rig) it is the audio derived AGC. 
Back in the day Collins S-Line had great (but complex) AGC that worked(s) great, but..
Nearly every Heathkit SSB rig back in the day had great AGC whether it was a tube HW-12 or a solid state HW-104.
Check out the HW-104 AGC system...
 
2) Solid CW Keying and for a paddle
 
3) USB interface to rear panel -  One big reason for this kit is to become proficient working with software.
 
4) Well if those are done an S-Meter is nice.
 
Nice to have:
4) Momentary button to toggle between VFO A and VFO B.  If you work split this is really necessary (Yes, I chase DX on QRP)
 
5) Mic Pre-Amp and Mic Gain -  I added this tonight with the PCB temporarily stuck on the rear panel (all my jacks are on the rear panel out of the way of knobs. 
It helps a little so I don't feel like I have to climb in the Mic, however a Speech Compressor might be more worthwhile.  Being able to use typical Electret Condenser Mics (e.g. ICOM radios) it needs more gain and an adjustment even if a PCB mounted internally accessible set and forget pot.
 
6) Keying interface for a Linear.  Band data and keying - This baby will drive an RF-KIT 2K+ LDMOS linear to legal limit. (when life is too short for QRP)
 
When you have nothing better to do:
7) VSWR Bridge with Display for forward/reflected power.  The tuner gets a lot simpler and an external tuner may not need power (manual tuner).
 
Oh, wait, didn't you do that one already?  LOL
 
Dave WI6R

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Hello all,
 
As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:
 
* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB
 
Other things I've thought about, space depending:
 
*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals
 
I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.
 
Happy new year,
 
--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?

 

 

 



 
--
73 Dave WI6R

Clark Martin
 

You save on package count with the TPIC6B595.

It’s basically an HC595 with 150 mA sink drivers.


Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jan 1, 2018, at 3:11 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:

Figured out what my plan was on that front.  I want to re-use as much of the raduino as possible, so one thing I did to make my life easier was to use a 74HC595 shift register, frees up IO's, and uses ones I've already got to level shift up to 5V for the IO expanders (the relays are all 5V that I'm using / have already designed in).  This way, the stock display module that comes with the raduino can be used.

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
 

So looking at the schematic, it's basically an IF amp (MC1350P, which is obsolete/harder to get, though I have gotten them from Jameco before) with a dual gate mosfet as the attenuation stage.  The rest is just a separate amplifier (Q504-509) and a detector diode (D502) feeding that gate.

What I would ultimately want to do I think is provide one input, and one out on the add-on PCB that I'm doing, and maybe cut at Q30 on the uBitx to get the RF input.  To do the mod, one would cut the trace as indicated, and then solder in some 30ga wire that goes up to the motherboard, which provides the modification.  I'm thinking Q30 is probably the best place to put the AGC, as after the 12Mhz narrow filter, there is no other amplifier, so I'm kinda limited to the 12kHz bandwidth filter to do the AGC I think.



On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 2:29 AM, Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...> wrote:
Martin,

The Heathkit SB-104/A/HW-104 has an uderly simple AGC system that works so well it was easily the easiest rig to just sit and read the mail.  Round tables with so many different strength signals and it was so pleasant to listen to.  Just a dual insulated gate FET ahead of the IF Gain and there are 8 transistors in the AGC Amplifier, Fast/Slow AGC and S-Meter output.

Schematic attached of SB-104A.

Dave

I actually had a couple of pre-amps for a hi fi project, but used for this kitsrus.com Kit 98, works, but there are simpler circuits.

Dave WI6R

On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:27 AM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Dave,

I agree with many of your points, very specifically, the AGC.  I tried listening in with my uBitx once I got the case wired up, and then promptly had my ears blown off by a nearby static pop or something.  I haven't listened to it since, and won't until I get some form of AGC, hopefully RF-derived... I am very touchy about my hearing, as it's sensitive and you only get one set of years (I wore earplugs all new years this year... hope yours was quieter).  I need to figure out the proper AGC scheme that is best, it should be reasonably easy to do.

Down the line, but a quick note:  Panel space is the biggest premium I'm dealing with. The display alone takes up 3.2" of front panel space.  Either one has to create a mezzanine board to 'stack' buttons/encoders/etc vertically, or you start going to the back panel, the side panels, etc.

1) Already covered above
2) Already in my schematic (I use a BY-1)
3) Already in my schematic
4) S-meter would have to be derived from the AGC, but I see no reason it couldn't be.  I've added in an analog pin.
4b) I have one 'undefined' front panel button.  I'd like to have more if possible... I might add in an extra MCP23S17 to expand my IO's...  (I'm nearly full on the leonardo)
5) Not sure how to implement this one, but if you've got a rough schematic to point me to of your modifications, I can probably include it.  Depends on how the wires would need to go to the PCB below, or if it's something that can just be put inline with the microphone.  Could do a microphone amplifier I suppose...  This is probably the lowest priority out of the things listed for me.
6) It's easy enough to pipe the TX line out to a relay.  I'll consider it based on panel space.
7) Yep, already in the schematic.  For now I'll probably stick to linear / non-phase detector method, but it probably wouldn't be hard to modify for a phase detector.  Just would need to focus on how to do it on the cheap instead of using an AD8307 or 8302 (Which are like $10-25 at digikey).


On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 1:15 AM, Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...> wrote:
Hi Martin,

 A Second Story is a neat idea that could eliminate wiring with a suitable case that can take advantage of PCB mounted connectors.
Here's my wish list...

Important:
1) Well the top of my list is a really effective AGC.  This is what separates a really great rig from a really good rig.
The basic MicroBITX so reminds me of my SBE SB-33 (1966 - mobile rig) it is the audio derived AGC. 
Back in the day Collins S-Line had great (but complex) AGC that worked(s) great, but..
Nearly every Heathkit SSB rig back in the day had great AGC whether it was a tube HW-12 or a solid state HW-104.
Check out the HW-104 AGC system...

2) Solid CW Keying and for a paddle

3) USB interface to rear panel -  One big reason for this kit is to become proficient working with software.

4) Well if those are done an S-Meter is nice.

Nice to have:
4) Momentary button to toggle between VFO A and VFO B.  If you work split this is really necessary (Yes, I chase DX on QRP)

5) Mic Pre-Amp and Mic Gain -  I added this tonight with the PCB temporarily stuck on the rear panel (all my jacks are on the rear panel out of the way of knobs. 
It helps a little so I don't feel like I have to climb in the Mic, however a Speech Compressor might be more worthwhile.  Being able to use typical Electret Condenser Mics (e.g. ICOM radios) it needs more gain and an adjustment even if a PCB mounted internally accessible set and forget pot.

6) Keying interface for a Linear.  Band data and keying - This baby will drive an RF-KIT 2K+ LDMOS linear to legal limit. (when life is too short for QRP)

When you have nothing better to do:
7) VSWR Bridge with Display for forward/reflected power.  The tuner gets a lot simpler and an external tuner may not need power (manual tuner).

Oh, wait, didn't you do that one already?  LOL

Dave WI6R

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
73 Dave WI6R




--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?




--
73 Dave WI6R



--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there aren't any questions, then what is there to learn?