Topics

Cw not working with straight key

R. Tyson

Hi Nigel,

I have two QCX, one for 40m and one for 20m. They are both very good rigs and have a great performance on CW. The uBitX is also a capable performer once it has a decent CW filter fitted.

Which one do I prefer... difficult to say the QCX rigs are very, very good.
The uBitX has multi band coverage and when fitted with a Nextion display and CEC firmware is also a good rig. Recommendations... get both   >:-) although I think you already have a QCX.

If you want a bit more RF then the QRP-Labs 50 watt amplifier is just the job. I can use mine with both my 40m QCX and also on 40m with my uBitX. Use either rig to drive the amp and, in my case, I use a 5 volt supply and a press switch to trigger the amp on Tx.

Reg               G4NFR

Evan Hand

Nigel,
I have a QSX+ and 3 uBITX transceivers (as well as a Hermes HL2) and would say that they are comparable, with maybe a little more sensitivity on the uBITX.  As stated earlier in this thread, the 2.7kHz bandwidth of the uBITX is a real shortcoming for CW, at least as far as I can tell (I am not really a CW operator).  Other areas that need improvement on the uBITX are the transfer from RX to TX and back as well as the offset that is in the stock software (the transmitted frequency is offset as an SSB rig would, rather than be the actual frequency of the transmitted signal).  You will need to change the Raduino Nano software to fix those issues, but the software is free thanks to open source contributors like Dr. Lee (KD8CEC) and Reed N.

The one really big difference is that the uBITX covers all bands, 80 - 10, The QSX+ is a single band, so you need multiple to cover the same range.  Another is the QCX+ is full break in, the uBITX is semi-break in after you fix the software issues.

If cost is the most significant factor, the QSX+ is $80 vs $209 for the uBITX full kit (both with enclosures and excluding shipping).

As an all-around radio, the uBITX is a better deal, however, there are potential issues, as you can tell if you monitor this reflector.

It is really up to you to work out what you want from the rig, how much you want to spend, and if you would be up to troubleshooting some of the problems of either of the rigs.  I could not decide and enjoy building, so I have both ;-)

73
Evan
AC9TU

Nigel

Thank you Reg for feedback and link(s) - appreciated.

Am also thinking uBtix will be used predominantly for CW and keen to make comparison (on receiving) with QCX although hopefully on the Tx side there will be a little more RF being generated by the uBitx ;-)

Stay SAFE and as always remember to KEEPSMILING :-)

73 Nigel

ZS6RN ex G8DEV a l-o-n-g time ago!

R. Tyson

Nigel,

Just checked sotabeams site again and this time it responded. That filter has a message stating that more stock is due in Autumn.

Reg                      G4NFR

R. Tyson

Hi Nigel,

The two stage filter I used came from -

              https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/audio-filters-and-more/

I gather you have already looked at them ? They do a couple of cheaper dual bandwidth filters, one for SSB and CW and the other one specifically for CW. I don't intend using the uBitX for anything but CW so that was the filter I bought at aprox. £29.

The bad news... I have just looked at their site and that filter as well as other stuff is shown as out of stock. It won't let me click on it so there seems to be no further information at the moment. I know it has recently changed ownership so I don't know what is going on. Perhaps they are just out of stock - or - is the product line being streamlined ?
If you were interested in a filter you would have to contact them to find out what is happening.

It would be a pity if they dropped it as it is a very good filter and not a bad price.

Dual Bandwidth Filter Modules SSB/CW

£29.95 (Inc. Tax)
£24.96 (Ex. Tax)

Reg          G4NFR

Nigel

Hello Reg and advance apologies to Dave for semi hijacking topic.

Please can you provide more details re the 2 stage CW filter added?

I am busy building my v3 uBtix enclosure and pondering options re additional filtering for CW; Audio based? Internal / External? Another crystal filter? Commercial (Sotabeams super fancy software based - expensive!) / home brew...

Your feedback will be much appreciated. P.M. if appropriate.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes to all and please stay SAFE!

73

Nigel ZS6RN ex G8DEV a l-o-n-g time ago

Reed N

Bob Bennett

Thanks Bill. I have the v.6. I will look for Reed’s software. I assume it is in the group File directories
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

What model are you using? The original stock software made CW useless due to that lag. For the model number 6 get Reed's software. For earlier models get the CEC software. I have the model number 3 and the CEC software made it *useable*.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 9/11/20 2:18 PM, Bob Bennett via groups.io wrote:
Has anyone found how to get rid of that little lag of about a second when you first key down? It is the one thing that has kept me from using my radio (and that I can’t find the mic).
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Bob Bennett

Has anyone found how to get rid of that little lag of about a second when you first key down? It is the one thing that has kept me from using my radio (and that I can’t find the mic).
--
Bob
NZ2Z

R. Tyson

I love the uBitX for CW as well. I added a filter with 2 stages of filtering and that made a huge difference. The filter can pluck a single signal out of the QRN and QRM.

Reg      G4NFR

Dave Sholdice

Hi, tnx for reply, Was not aware on Keyer menu. Am a bit elderly, how do I access it?
All best, Dave

On Thu 10 Sep 2020 at 14:19, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:
did you select straight key from the keyer menu?

73,

Bill  KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 9/10/20 8:46 AM, dave.ei8kg@... wrote:

> Really like v6, can’t get cw with single key, any suggestions?

Adam Allen

Typo.  Should have read: I had a somewhat loose connection on my stereo straight key plug.....

Adam Allen

I had a somewhat loose connection on my att  as iffy key plug recently. It would key up my commercial rig fine but wouldn’t work on my v6 Ubitx.  I had used a cheap stereo plug  and the internal connection was poor, I guess just enough to cause my Ubitx to not key up.  Maybe try keying down the straight key while gently moving the stereo plug back and forth.

Also, if found if my key contacts are dirty or dusty I can have keying issues with Ubitx.

Hope you get this figured out.  I’m loving my v6 Ubitx for CW.

Bill Cromwell