Topics

Highlighting band selected

Jeff Debes

Anyone know if there is a software mod to highlight the band currently selected?

It is poor user operability if touching a button shows no action on that button.

Jeff

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Reed N

My software does that (among other changes).
https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6

Reed

Jeff Debes

Excellent Reed!
Is there any system / plan that some approved software fixes/ improvements get incorporated into the manufacturing release at HF Sigs ?
Everyone should not have to reinvent the wheel.
Jeff

On May 27, 2020, at 10:20 PM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

My software does that (among other changes).
https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6

Reed

--
jeff.debes@...

Stephen KO4CVU

Jeff, I can vouch for Reed’s software. It makes a great improvement in the operation and control of the touchscreen. Downloading and installing It was my first experience working with an Arduino Nano, (although I did have some experience with programmable logic controllers years ago.) If I can do it, it must not be too hard! :) I will be happy to share my notes about the process with you, if you’d like them.

Jeff Debes

Ok Stephen,
I will think about trying it.
I used to do a small bit or arduino programming but that is not something i want to get back into.
Right now though I need to know why my radio only works as double sideband. I don’t think its an alignment problem,  I  have doubts that tuning will cure the issue.
I hope someone has ideas on what might be wrong else I might want to return this unit to HD Sigs as defective.
Jeff

On May 28, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:

Jeff, I can vouch for Reed’s software. It makes a great improvement in the operation and control of the touchscreen. Downloading and installing It was my first experience working with an Arduino Nano, (although I did have some experience with programmable logic controllers years ago.) If I can do it, it must not be too hard! :) I will be happy to share my notes about the process with you, if you’d like them.

--
jeff.debes@...

Tony Vandenborn

Jeff

When you study the uBITX block diagram, and understand it, you can clearly see it is rather impossible that your radio receives/transmits both sidebands same time. You really have to align the BFO and master oscillator frequencies, your kit is not defective!

Tony

Op do 28 mei 2020 om 14:18 schreef Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...>:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jess,

I sometimes work on other hams' radios and I installed Reed's software in a V6 for one of them (mine is a V3). I have a low opinion of the stock software from HF Signals even though it does function. Reed's software instantly cured several problems. I can also vouch for the CEC software that I loaded onto my V3.

You put your money down and you take your choice. Those software packages are *free* so the 'money' is the time spent.

73,

Bill KU8H

On May 28, 2020, at 7:28 AM, Stephen KO4CVU <@KO4CVU> wrote:

Jeff, I can vouch for Reed’s software. It makes a great improvement in the operation and control of the touchscreen. Downloading and installing It was my first experience working with an Arduino Nano, (although I did have some experience with programmable logic controllers years ago.) If I can do it, it must not be too hard! :) I will be happy to share my notes about the process with you, if you’d like them.
--
*jeff.debes@...*
--
bark less - wag more

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I have to agree with Tony and the others on this. A misaligned BFO will produce the same symptoms on *ANY* radio like this one (includeing those with four figure price tags). I have worked on a few for other hams and the BFO way way far off on the ones with these symptoms.

If you are unable to get it working you might find somebody on here to get it going for you. I think you should try to get it working yourself. I did not find any deficiencies in the instructions.

73,

Bill KU8H

<@KO4CVU <mailto:@KO4CVU>> wrote:

Jeff, I can vouch for Reed’s software. It makes a great
improvement in the operation and control of the touchscreen.
Downloading and installing It was my first experience working with
an Arduino Nano, (although I did have some experience with
programmable logic controllers years ago.) If I can do it, it must
not be too hard! :) I will be happy to share my notes about the
process with you, if you’d like them.
--
*jeff.debes@... <mailto:jeff.debes@...>*
--
bark less - wag more

Jeff Debes

Bill, Tony,

Thanks for the advice.
To be clear: I have a confirmed QSO where the op copied me on LSB and USB with out me changing any settings.
Is that still a possible symptom for misaligned BFO?
If so fine. I will try again at home with a PC.
I want to say that the kit is sold as a working board, & the buyer is trusting that it is working, that it was tested properly. What if it is not? That will happen.
Documentation clarity for engineers is one matter, and appears to be simple enough, for casual builders it may need to differ.
A support group such as this is fine for resolving many issues , but it should not be the only recourse.
Why do so many users come back here to ask questions? ( the documentation is not adequate?)
Personally, I’m used to building non-digital circuits/radios. There is operability simplicity , excellent ease of use, and clarity in analog radio circuits.
Anyway
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try the suggestions.

Jeff

<@KO4CVU <mailto:@KO4CVU>> wrote:

Jeff, I can vouch for Reed’s software. It makes a great
improvement in the operation and control of the touchscreen.
Downloading and installing It was my first experience working with
an Arduino Nano, (although I did have some experience with
programmable logic controllers years ago.) If I can do it, it must
not be too hard! :) I will be happy to share my notes about the
process with you, if you’d like them.
-- *jeff.debes@... <mailto:jeff.debes@...>*
--
bark less - wag more

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Reed N

Hi Jeff,

I would love to see my work get pulled into the main line, but I don't have any control over that. Ashhar certainly could do so at any time, but hasn't so far. He did pull a little from the CEC software for the v6 release, so maybe the next generation v7 software might have some of these fixes?

Reed

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Maybe there are some unfair or unrealistic expectations of some minimal knowledge to become a ham. The instructions seem to be written with that in mind. One thing we learn when we must write is who the target audience actually is. To be fair to HF Signals I have been surprised by the nature of some questions asked by licensed hams - even without an expectation that new hams know *everything*. None of us knows *everything* and learning only stops when we die without us ever knowing *everything*. My comments are not aimed to offend or insult or belittle anybody.

Just to balance those statements, I have personally known hams with extra class and commercial licenses who clearly did not know some basic things. To me that was even more incredible than some of the questions I see today. At least today's newbies know to ask them even if they don't know the words needed to ask:) I am now one of thos *old* extra class hams and I try to not be like those fellows I have just mentioned. I know I am a very poor 'distance elmer' and I wish I could get a few of those new hams in my shop for a day or two. If they ask me something I don't know we could both learn:)

73,

Bill KU8H

On 5/28/20 10:57 AM, Jeff Debes wrote:
[...]

Arv Evans

Jeff

The OS is open source.  That should make it possible for you to add your own
"features".  At one time I suggested that key strokes or display touches should
be accompanied by a "beep".  That should be easy to implement in just a couple
lines of code.  Extending this thought...maybe also blink the display when a
button or command is issued?  That too would be only a few code statements.

Part of the advantages of the uBITX open source code is that you can make
changes at will.  Cannot do that with the popular K3 or similar high priced
transceivers.

If you do take on the challenge to upgrade the assembly and operating
instructions, I would suggest that you use some sort of version-control
editor.  This would highlight your changes and make it easier for Farhan to
add those particular changes to the master document.

Arv
_._

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 8:10 PM Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:
Anyone know if there is a software mod to highlight the band currently selected?

It is poor user operability if touching a button shows no action on that button.

Jeff

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Jeff Debes

Bill,
I feel that your comments were at least in some part targeted at me and therefore warrant an answer.
People are almost as varied in personality and in desires as nature is itself .
One should not should presume or judge anything about another persons knowledge level or what that person has contributed to ham radio or to any worthy aspect of society.
Ham radio as a hobby is now more varied in interests and reasons for interest in the hobby than ever. ( and that is a good thing! )
No question is wrong, no judgements should be presumed about those asking questions. That will just turn people away.
Snobbery of knowledge of a particular subject include this hobby is simply wrong.
Yes , you ( we all) often feel that everyone should dive into ham radio.
But I try to be a generalist, not an top expert in anything but looking at the big picture.
In profession, I was a Systems Engineer at Xerox Corp. Now retired . I am as you probably already know , an Extra Class ham op , first licensed as a Novice in 1963 , call sign WN2RHU. My other hobbies are varied and include hiking /Mt climbing. Climbed the 46 high peaks.
Spent many years as a mentor in First Robotics , etc etc
So wrap up :
On this DL , no question or even complaint is ill founded . Let’s not judge people .
Yes, people can look things up , and learn .
Some will, but some will just want to get to the goal of a working radio.
Expressions of frustration by questions are simply symptoms of some issues that may need to be fixed in by HFSigs or answered amiably without judgement by knowledgable people in this group.
If the same questions come up more than once, it would beg of the need for change /improvement to product, group response, or documentation access.

Jeff

On May 28, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

[...]

Until you have tried the alignment procedure there is no way we can know
if you have a real problem, or if you just have not performed the alignment
process.  We would like to help you, but you have to work with us.  What
have you tried thus far?  What were the results of performing the alignment
process?

Arv
_._

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:18 AM Jeff Debes <jeff.debes@...> wrote:
[...]

The BITX20 discussion group is a community of people with like interests
and experiences.  Some are casual users of the equipment, and most are
licensed ham radio operators who have technical talents as evidenced by
their passing the ham radio exams.  The uBITX, and BITXxx, before uBITX
were designed for the Ham radio community.  Most of the members of this
discussion group are here to discuss mods, operating, and camaraderie.
As of today there are 7871 members of the group, most of which are
satisfied with their uBITX, BITX40, or earlier BITX20 units.  BITX units
have evolved over time, usually involving on-line discussions and suggestions.

The people on this group are willing to help with problems, but that requires
working with these helpers.  If one just powers up a new uBITX and starts
pushing buttons without understanding what it might do, then problems may
occur.  If you look at the block diagram, and then at the schematic, you will
see that the uBITX is not a simple circuit.  It is the result of several years of
design, testing, re-design, and more testing by those with experience in
this work.

uBITX boards are "factory tested" before they are shipped.  It is unlikely
that a defective uBITX board was overlooked and shipped without testing.
The tests performed at HFSignals have been listed earlier on this group.
The tests performed could be listed again but probably would not mean
much unless the owner takes the effort to understand how the radio works.

Now, some "remote guessing" at what might be the problem.
  • Others have suggested that the BFO adjustment could be off.
    That is the most likely problem...and could have been reset by
    yourself when initially trying to operate the rig.  We do need
    you to perform the BFO alignment procedures before we go
    further.  To do this you need to understand the concepts of
    "zero-beat" and "offset".  Picture the IF filter as an open door
    that allows only passband frequency signals to go through.
    Unless the incoming signal mixing with the tuning oscillator
    is heterodyned to inside the filter passband, you will not be
    receiving the desired signals.  Once the desired signal is
    passing through the IF filter, it is again heterodyned to audio
    by mixing that signal with the BFO.

    On transmit this process is reversed with audio plus BFO
    (balanced for Suppressed Carrier DSB generation) and
    presented to the IF filter which slices off the sideband that
    falls outside the filter passband.  Note that if your BFO is
    misaligned so that both sideband fall inside the filter
    passband, you will be transmitting both sidebands, or what
    is known as Suppressed Carrier AM.

  • The next but unlikely possibility is that one of the balanced
    demodulator diodes was installed backwards at the factory.
    We can test for that if you are willing, but first we need to
    know that the BFO is adjusted properly.  Without that any
    tests might be counter-productive.

  • Highly unlikely is that the IF transformer feeding the detector
    has been mis-wired or mis-connected at the factory.  This
    would have been caught at testing time, but we will not rule
    it out as a last resort.

  • Least possible possibility is that your crystal filter is not filtering
    properly.  That would have been caught during factory testing.
And, please remember that the members of this group who volunteer
their time to help you with your uBITX are not employees of HFSignals
and do not get paid for their time.  The BITX phenomena started as
an idea on an aircraft flight between New York and India.  It was initially
built by individuals from junkbox parts.  Then one ham started offering
bags of parts (no PCB) for building your own BITX transceiver.  And,
the rest is history.  Group support is rather unique among manufacturing
of technical products, but is not unheard of.  It has worked well for the
uBITX and for the group.

Yes, a long email, but it may help to understand the idea of Group support
and of the uBITX itself.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

--
*jeff.debes@...*

Jeff Debes

Arv,
Thanks, I have not performed alignment in the way that is described. Consider then it is not aligned.
Shortly I will return to my home QTH where I have all the resources needed,  and then I will follow the alignment procedure  as precisely as possible.
Thank you for your follow up.
Jeff

--
*jeff.debes@...*