Topics

Is there a complete v1->v2->v3->v4->v5->v6 hardware version history?

Dan D'Eon

Hello. I'm sorry to be *that guy* but I have tried multiple searches here and turned up very brief snippets. What am I missing?

I found a V2.2 for sale and I'm trying to learn the hardware differences between models.

73
Dan
AG7GM

Ashhar Farhan

I dont think there was a v2. Was there?

On Thu 21 May, 2020, 1:01 AM , <pulco.ant@...> wrote:
Hello. I'm sorry to be *that guy* but I have tried multiple searches here and turned up very brief snippets. What am I missing?

I found a V2.2 for sale and I'm trying to learn the hardware differences between models.

73
Dan
AG7GM

Evan Hand

Ashhar Farhan, if you do not know I do not know who would.

Dan,
From what I have been able to find on the net, there were a number of "clones" of the HF Signals version of the uBITX.  Most were copies of the original BITX20 single band radios.  I would not purchase one that is not from HF Signals, as the information is hard to find.  This means that you want a v3 or later microBITX.

The differences between the versions are best recorded on ubitx.net.  Without going into detail, most of the differences were to fix audio issues and key clicks (v3->v4) and then spurs and harmonics issues (v4->v5) and finally to include a touch screen interface (not sure I would call it graphics, as the display is text-based)(v5-v6).  The v6 is also the first version that you can order a "full" kit that includes the enclosure from HF Signals.  There are still some enclosures for the v3-5 that you can buy, though I believe that these will get harder to find as they are no longer in production.

If you do purchase any version prior to 5, you should do a harmonics and spurs test to verify compliance with the FCC (by your call I looked up that you are in the USA).  Ubitx.net has the fixes listed there as well.

Hope this helps you with your purchase choices.  They are MY preferences/thoughts, you will need to verify for yourself.
73
AC9TU
Evan

Curt

For production ubitx, it started with version 3. I can't speak to bitx. Do ask them to clarify the rig. Mine is a v4, it took some work, many ops who tinker enjoy their v3 or v4. V5 is cleaner basic board only. V6 has touch display and case as an option. All ubitx do ssb and cw. Stock bitx is only ssb.

73 curt

Dan D'Eon

There was a lot of information packed into those two messages. I shall put my head down and do some more homework, and *not* pursue the (probable) clone any further.

I realize it's all my choice, of course, but I have learned the value of a large community that have "been there before me."

Thank you Evan and Curt. Oh, and for *my* money, this thread may be marked closed.

<lurk = on>
Dan
AG7GM

ajparent1/kb1gmx <kb1gmx@...>

It all started with the minima in 2014.

HF1  from about april 2014 was the base design that was later called microbitx.  It did not
appear as a production board/design/kit until it was V3 level.  Prior to that is was all self
made and maybe one or two off (likely 3 or 5 boards, proto shop)  builds.

If there is a V2.2 for sale its a random one off or may be actually a Bitx
(similar bot the same) which goes back another 10+ years.  BItx (band 40 or 20
and 17 are common) were kitted but is a single conversion compared to
HF1/uBitx being a dual conversion.

Hardware wise the difference from V3 though V5 are small if any biggest being
the audio amp, output low pass relay arrangement, then later the 45mhz IF and
a few parts changes.

Allison
No direct email, it goes to bit bucket due address harvesting

Dennis Beverage

Allison,

Thanks for your succinct review and history of the microbitx (ubitx) evolution.  The question is often asked here in one form or another as individuals like me try to find info on the older versions.  I'm still trying to find time to finish my V4.  The one thing that has happened during my delay is the resolution of many of the issues (harmonics, AGC, etc) that I can now take advantage of.  Fortunately, the history is all here if one is willing to make the effort to do the research.  I'll also say that considerable basic history on the ubitx can be found by searching the ARRL on line archives.

And thanks again Allison, not just for the history provided here, but also for the considerable guidance you have provided to all of us in resolving many of the problems with our radios.  For many of us, the fun is in the building/creation of these little bitty electronic miracles that allow us to communicate around the world on 10 watts or less.  Having built my first 1 tube (1T4) reciever nearly 70 years back I'm still at it and still learning from elmers  like yourself.
--
Sodypop🤠
KJ6VGB