Topics

Nextion Display on uBITX #ubitx #nextion

kj5wi@...

Right on the nail. Observed a similar one between 29palms,California & Albany,Ga during MARS message relay.
All goes well until I notice the coax antenna switch is set to an antenna on the ground for repair.m. Told the op in Albany who passed it on to 29palms. We heard no more of29palms that day.
We should all remember that our signal is like an elephant-goes where it wants too.
Liked your soapbox Bill-same for me.

Evan Hand

In my opinion the best reason to start with the stock version. Whichever one you purchased, is that gives the best chance to make sure the basic functions work. You are verifying the tests that were performed at HF Signals before it was shipped. It also removes most hardware issues from the upgrades that you plan on doing.

it is a personal choice, however a step by step approach checking as you go is always more reliable in the long run.

The above are my opinions, yours may be different
73
Evan
AC9TU

Michael Shreeve

I've thought about installing the Nextion from the get go, when Ian wrote the first draft and made it work so flawlessly. If you were going from a v3 or v4 or maybe even a v5 I'd say just go to the Nextion. I do not know the V6 with its completely different display, so the guys who are saying get that one working before the Nextion may have a few reasons ? That said, remember, Ian tried to make things easy by offering completely compiled files. You would not need to know very much about Arduino if you went that route. You also do not fool around with libraries so it really makes it easy. His files are labeled as Hex files. The procedure is quite a ways back in his website but its easy. Any reasons the guys would be saying to first make one display work and then go to the nextion may have something to do with hardware changes ? And, its all a  learning experience and as long as you do not make errors and blow up parts, its great fun.

Doing it with Hex files is a shortcut, and many of the guys here would say you should not use that short cut. They would want you to learn how to install libraries, compile in the IDE, and use the longer route. Nothing wrong with that UNLESS your in a hurry to get on the air. In fact , it is quite satisfying to know how to use the IDE and libraries, so good luck with your choice.

Evan Hand

Grover,
The picture from Amie C. is of a v6 that the stock screen was replaced with a Nextion 2.8" touch screen.  There is a software update of the uBITX Nano to the KD8CEC software, and the correct .tft file loaded onto the Nextion screen.  The stock screen is not used.

Here is a PDF of how it was done by one of the first to try the replacement:

Have fun both using and modifying the uBITX.  It is good at both.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Grover Cleveland

I'm new at al this; just got  my (used) Version 6 with whatever the large screen it. What software gives you that lovely screen? If I can install it I would be quite happy.
Grover  K7TP

rpremooak@...

Which board number are you using for the 2.8" display,

I am using NX3224k0028_011 I have tried multiple .TFT which all say they are incompatible.  Anyone know of another option.  I pulled them from

v1.092 – 3.5″ Enhanced
https://ubitx.net/download/3-5%e2%80%b3-enhanced-nextion-screen-files-tft-for-loading-on-micro-sd-kn4ud/

I tried the basic and the enhanced file and even went up to the 3.5" file

Evan Hand

ohwenelph,
Try 38400 for the baud rate to load programs to the Nano using the xloader software.  Some of the Nano clones use that baud rate.

73
Evan
AC9TU

ohwenzelph

Got a V6. Full kit with enclosure.
got a nextion 2.8 enhanced and I think I have loaded the correct software into it. Took a while to figure out that I could just copy and paste it to the MicroSD card!
when I try to xloader the software into the bitx I keep getting upload failure
the usb to the bitx is com3 and that is set ok, the baud rate I type in 57600
i am pointing to the unzipped hex file for nextion 2.8 e
under device the only choices are ArduinoMega, CC01, CR03
there is no “Duemilanove/Nano(ATmega328)” option
so I changed to another USB port, now com4 and unplugged the the nano board from the uBitx and tried CR03 and it seems something has up loaded finally!
And attaching the display and powering it up it seems to work.  O time now to put it through its paces or make it fit and be secure.
The information on how to do this is a bit fragmented but “men and dogs learn to value what they have had to work hard for”

Mike Short <ai4ns.mike.spam@...>

I have had CTS for years as well. I went to an Atlas Chiropractor and my problems have greatly improved.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 20:19 Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes I would like the chapter also please

72

Aaron K5ATG

K5ATG Blog

QRPARCI # 16443

GQRP # 16389

4SQRP # 1080

Richard West <rewest71@...>

Greetings Jack,

I am interested in the keyboard CW keyboard/keyer chapter you offered. The CTS has returned after three operations, and over two years of recovery time. Still enjoy CW, but spend most times listening on the sidelines, and not getting in on the fun. The various keys are on the desk, but used rarely. Thank you.

73,

Wes
KH2EE

Amie C.

its nice! and its pretty.
--
AMIE N9OXO

Bill Cromwell

Heh,

I was in contest, really just one of the sprints with 4 watts CW. From 1000 miles away I got a 599 report! With a lousy antenna, too. Maybe it was true...

I only had to send my info *once*. I don't tell how much power I am running unless it is part of a contest report (it wasn't this time). But in some events QRP stations are worth more points:) That always helps with 'propagation'.

Some of us have figured out that the spouse might be listening and then gets upset with the other ham for spending all that money on fancy gear when we can get through with very much less. Try living with that:)

73,

Bill KU8H

On 5/20/20 8:26 PM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
Thank you,
My favorite is that I get a report of 59 or 20 over S9, then when they find out you are running QRP, all of a sudden they can't hear you. It all adds to the spice of life.
--
bark less - wag more

Jack, W8TEE

Aaron:

Chapter 6 of my Arduino Projects for Amateur Radio book has a PS2 keyboard/keyer. If you or a friend wish to build one, I'd be happy to send you the chapter.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 6:55:40 PM EDT, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

Hi Aaron,

If anybody gives you a lot crap about using a keyboard refer them to me!
No..I don't use a keyboard. Nobody gives me any crap for being too old
fashioned <sly grin>. I see small-minded people in every endeavor. We
always offer them a helping hand but do not tolerate any 'load of crap'.
There is that old fashioned term again. You do not need an excuse to use
a keyboard or a computer to do CW. If you need one or else have to give
up CW (because you like it) then please use a keyboard and/or computer.
See you on the air. I once had a nice rag chew with ham in PA - CW of
course. About 45 minutes unto the QSO he told matter-of-fact that he is
completely deaf! He had made a device form a speaker voice coil and
'felt' the code with his fingertips. Do whatever works for *you*.

There are so many ways to enjoy the hobby that I can't see any two hams
doing it exactly the same way. And that is one of ham radio's strong
points:) Most of us encourage and support one another.

I will get off the soapbox now. I need to dismantle it and use the
boards to make a cabinet for my homebrew DX-100 clone <wicked grin>.

73,

Bill  KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

--
Jack, W8TEE

Aaron K5ATG

[...]

If you a CW user you may prefer to install the CEC software or Reed's software. I have worked on several uBitX radios for others and the stock software has been unsatisfactory in various degrees. The original V6 software rendered CW completely unusable but I think that has been fixed now.

By all means try your radio 'as shipped' and if you are satisfied continue to enjoy it. My V3 has very few mods with the CEC software being the biggest change.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 5/20/20 9:46 AM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
Thanks, everyone for the replies and the explanations.
I agree I want to give the stock configuration a go for a while. I want to learn the characteristics of the radio before I start changing it.
--
bark less - wag more

Aaron K5ATG

Thanks, everyone for the replies and the explanations.
I agree I want to give the stock configuration a go for a while. I want to learn the characteristics of the radio before I start changing it.

Evan Hand

Reed,

Thank you for the summary and all of the posts you make on this board.  I can say I read everyone from you and get insights from all.

I do have 3 Nextion uBITX, 2 v4, and 1 v5 with various size screens.  Your comments as far as the Nextion devices are correct, and I agree that you should start with the stock stuff, get it going, and then start the upgrade journey from there.

Again Thank You!
73
Evan
AC9TU