Topics

Small Vestage of a Pre Dit when Sending Code

edwarduncleshrek@...

edwarduncleshrek@...Hide
To BITX20@... BITX20@...
Cc
Bcc
Slideshow
Hello all,

Right out of the box I am a newbie to ham radio.  I purchased and built a complete uBitX V6.1 kit radio in February 2020.  I have align the VFO and BFO, adjusted the three variable resistors, and set the finals so I have 3.5 watts out put on 10 meters and 14 watts out put on 7 meters.  Configured the radio for the use with a straight key.  Build a 10 meter inverted V antenna to resonate at 28.400 MHZ with a SWR of 1.03 : 1 and build a 7 meter inverted V antenna to resonate at 7.080 MHZ with a SWR of 1.3 : 1.  The mic that came with the radio was modified to improve voice pick up.

My V6.1 testing is done using my computer with a RTL-SDR receiver.  On 10 meters through the inverted V antenna the voice quality is good using the RTL / computer in close proximity to the V6.1.  When sending code on 10 meters with the V6.1 in close proximity to the V6.1 and listening to the RTL / computer and observing the spectrograph I do not get a clean tone at 500 HZ or any other tone setting and WPM setting.  Each code character has a short dit in front of the desired character.  Example a DIT would sound like a dit - DIT  and a DAH would sound like a dit - DAH. I have cleaned the key contacts to see if there is any improvement, there was not.  I also noted that when listening through the head phones, when the key is closed I here the relay engage but there is a delay in hearing the tone.

I was concern that because of the close proximity of the RTL / computer to the V6.1, that the RF from the V6.1 was over whelming the RTL / computer with RF during transmitting.  I did a test on the RTL / computer against another crystal controlled 0.5 watt QRP transceiver in close proximity and noted the audio had a clear tone and spectrograph looked good.  So I moved the RTL / computer .25 miles away from the V6.1 and transmitted voice which was good, and code, which had the same per DIT character before the actual character.  If you were to transmit a string of DAH the audio tone would sound like the hiccups.

In reviewing uBitx on CW #V6 post in the group.oi I found that this problem was discussed with the V6.1. (see list)

Date                      Post #                      Author
Jan 12                   74889                      Vic
Jan 26                   75326                      Reed N
Jan 27                   75357                      Reed N
Jan 27                   75361                      Reed N
Jan 27                   75378                      Reed N
Jan 28                   75401                      Andy_501

My question if I replace my current firmware with the new firmware V6.3.1 into my radio, will that take care of the 50 m-second delay allowing for proper code tone using a straight key.

Thanks Much for any help,

Ed

Reed N

A few notes:

1) v6.3.1 is (uninintuitively) actually the OLDEST software. Ashhar's first release was called that, but his second release was called v6.1.
2) The delay from hearing the relay click to hearing the tone in your headphones could very well be processing time for your SDR and computer, and NOT an indication of an actual issue with the uBiTX
3) There are two pieces to the CW "badness". One is that the diodes aren't perfectly balanced, which means that you get some "leaked" signal in CW (and unsuppressed carrier in SSB) as long as the radio is in transmit mode. The other (that I tried to fix in my software) was that there was a response delay being added into the CW keyer, causing dahs to be dits, and dits to be potentially non-existent on initial startup.

I'd suggest trying out R1.5.0, and see if you still have issues. You can easily switch back to v6.1 if you find you don't like it, or if it doesn't solve your problem.

Reed

edwarduncleshrek@...

Thank Reed for your response.  Could you direct me to where I can retrieve R1.5.0 for down load.  One thought id v6.3.1 is the oldest firmware vs v6.1 with all the literature around and posting for the uBitx v6 how can one be sure you are getting the latest and greatest for your v6?

Take care
Ed

[...]

You can download it from my GitHub: https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6. "Installing" is the same process as the Ashhar's official releases, so if you follow Ashhar's tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_V3prSJ_E you should be good to go. One note: on the newer Arduino software, you'll want to select the OLD bootloader from the dropdown config.

As far as knowing if you're on the latest and greatest, there's a couple things to consider. If you want to use Ashhar's official releases, you can look at his GitHub (https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6/) and periodically check to see if any new commits have been pushed there. Similarly, you can monitor my GitHub. Both of us have made announcements here in this group when new releases are uploaded, so you can watch for that. However, there are bunches of other people who have forked the project, or made additional customizations to the code, or use custom hardware that requires incompatible code (e.g. the KD8CEC supporting Nextion displays, JackAI with Teensy 3.6, or TSW with Teensy 4.0), so the "latest" may always be in flux, and "greatest" will likely be subjective.

Reed

edwarduncleshrek@...

Thanks! so subjective like the rest of the world.  I will give you a update to see if that worked.  I am still trying to get feed back from a friend on my CW tone quality using his ICOM 7300 we still have not touched base yet.

73

Ed