Topics

UBITX v6.1: Function of USB/LSB Side Band Selection

Stephen KO4CVU

Another question from a newbie. I apologize in advance for my ignorance and for failing to find any article(s) that may already exist that answer my questions.
Does the side band selection of USB or LSB affect only the transmission function?
I have repeated the BFO & frequency adjustment procedure outlined in Ashur’s video several times. I cannot hear any difference between the receive audio after tuning in a voice broadcast when I change from the LSB to the USB setting. (I am comparing my uBITX experience to my experience with an RTL-SDR dongle on my laptop where the selection does make a difference.) Changing to CW on the uBITX v6.1 does make a difference in what I hear when listening to CW broadcasts.
Are there any other adjustment or troubleshooting instructions that I need to follow to set up and adjust the v6.1 so that it will operate properly?
Thanks for your patience.
Sincerely,
Stephen

James George <ki0ad2@...>

Mine acts the same way

On Tue, 5 May 2020, 8:29 a.m. Stephen KO4CVU, <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:
[...]

In case there are other v6.1 units with the same symptom, I submit the following batch identification information for comparison:
Distributor: Gigaparts
Date of order: 4/16/2020
Date on “Contents List” enclosed with kit: 14/2/2020 (February 14th)
Signature on “Contents List” enclosed with kit: “SL”

Reed N

Sanity question: are you tuning into an AM transmission, or a SSB transmission? AM transmissions have both side bands, so I'd expect them to be "the same". However if you're tuning into an SSB transmission and it sounds the same in both modes, then that's definitely odd.

Reed

WB0WQS

I tried the method in  Ashur’s video without success. Then I remembered somebody mentioned using a WebSDR signal. So I found a strong Station on a Web receiver that I could also hear, and
used the BFO alignment to line up my transmitter and receive signal.   I aligned my transmit signal with a strong CQing station so I could hear both my signal and there signal on the WebSDR.
Your mileage my very. Hope this helps. - WB0WQS

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:09 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
Sanity question: are you tuning into an AM transmission, or a SSB transmission? AM transmissions have both side bands, so I'd expect them to be "the same". However if you're tuning into an SSB transmission and it sounds the same in both modes, then that's definitely odd.

Reed

Gordon Gibby

Very smart move, congratulations!

On May 5, 2020, at 16:54, WB0WQS <WB0WQS@...> wrote:

I tried the method in  Ashur’s video without success. Then I remembered somebody mentioned using a WebSDR signal. So I found a strong Station on a Web receiver that I could also hear, and
used the BFO alignment to line up my transmitter and receive signal.   I aligned my transmit signal with a strong CQing station so I could hear both my signal and there signal on the WebSDR.
Your mileage my very. Hope this helps. - WB0WQS

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:09 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
Sanity question: are you tuning into an AM transmission, or a SSB transmission? AM transmissions have both side bands, so I'd expect them to be "the same". However if you're tuning into an SSB transmission and it sounds the same in both modes, then that's definitely odd.

Reed

Gordon Gibby

These are exactly the kinds of little exercises that develop a strong understanding of radio among amateur radio operators who venture out of their comfort zone.

[...]

Reed,
I am listing to a SSB transmission after I have gone through the BFO adjustment procedure video. Have the selection in either the USB or LSB mode does not make a difference in what I hear.
Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen KO4CVU

WBOWQS,
I have my own SDR receiver dongle. Maybe I can use it to duplicate your procedure.
Did you perform the coarse BFO alignment using the Ashur’s BFO alignment webpage? If not, how did you perform it?
Did you perform your frequency alignment with a CW transmission or a voice transmission?
If you used a voice transmission, what frequency were you tuning to? Did you use USB or LSB?
How did you perform your fine BFO alignment?
Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.
Stephen

barry halterman

I remember someone posting that you need to turn the main tuning knob to get the ubitx to switch between sidebands. Sounds to me you are on one or the other side but not actually changing between the two. Try moving the encoder and see if it changes when you select each sidebands.
K3BO

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 5:38 PM Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:
WBOWQS,
I have my own SDR receiver dongle. Maybe I can use it to duplicate your procedure.
Did you perform the coarse BFO alignment using the Ashur’s BFO alignment webpage? If not, how did you perform it?
Did you perform your frequency alignment with a CW transmission or a voice transmission?
If you used a voice transmission, what frequency were you tuning to? Did you use USB or LSB?
How did you perform your fine BFO alignment?
Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.
Stephen

James George <ki0ad2@...>

I don't believe that the radio has receive filters only transmit.

On Tue, 5 May 2020, 4:21 p.m. barry halterman, <kthreebo@...> wrote:
[...]

Dale Parfitt

Look at the schematic- same filter on RX and TX. If it  did not have a RX filter then it would be incapable of receiving just one sideband.

Dale W4OP

I don't believe that the radio has receive filters only transmit.

Stephen KO4CVU

Barry,
I have tried a single press of the tuning knob and then moving the highlighting block from LSB to USB and it makes no difference. In fact, the radio gets stuck so that neither the tuning knob or the touch screen will change any property of the radio (frequency, mode, band, etc.)
Thanks,
Stephen

Arv Evans

That is an interesting comment, because the schematic clearly shows both receive and transmit signals going through the crysytal filter.

Am I missing something?

_-_

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 4:39 PM James George <ki0ad2@...> wrote:
[...]

Dale,
I agree with you after looking at the block diagram underneath the heading “Circuit Description” on the page www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/. Underneath the heading “Transmitting,” I found the sentence “The transmission is really the same signal flow in the reverse direction.” This leads me to believe that the SSB filters should apply to both the receive and the transmit operations.
That being said, how can I determine why the USB/LSB mode change makes no difference on known SSB voice transmissions on the LSB in the 40 MHz band?
Thanks,
Stephen

W2CTX

The point is that after you select USB or LSB you have to use the encoder to change the frequency
before your change will take effect.  Just toggling the USB/LSB does nothing except change
the display.

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 7:13:11 PM EDT, Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:

Barry,
I have tried a single press of the tuning knob and then moving the highlighting block from LSB to USB and it makes no difference. In fact, the radio gets stuck so that neither the tuning knob or the touch screen will change any property of the radio (frequency, mode, band, etc.)
Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen KO4CVU

W2CTX,
Help me understand two things I found on the page at www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/
1. Under the heading “Operating the Radio” and beside the bullet point “USB/LSB” there is the instruction to “Touch on either of the buttons to choose the side band.” There is no mention of a subsequent adjustment required on the encoder.
2. Under the heading “(De) Modulator” The sideband is inverted by flipping the second oscillator between 33 MHz and 56 MHz.” How is the oscillator flipped? Is there some output from the Arduino that prompts this? If so, what test point might show this change of state?
Thanks,
Stephen

Arv Evans

You have to set the BFO offset for both USB and LSB, so that when you switch to these
modes the BFO will be properly offset for that mode.  This is not a new thing.  Side-band
rigs have been designed this way for years.  The new part is that now you can configure
sideband offsets for yourself in the configuration menu.  Normal procedure is to position
the carrier down about -12 db down on the upper or lower skirt of the filter.  This adds to
carrier suppression and makes speech sound normal(?) in receive mode.

Arv
_._

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM W2CTX via groups.io <w2ctx=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The point is that after you select USB or LSB you have to use the encoder to change the frequency
before your change will take effect.  Just toggling the USB/LSB does nothing except change
the display.

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 7:13:11 PM EDT, Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:

Barry,
I have tried a single press of the tuning knob and then moving the highlighting block from LSB to USB and it makes no difference. In fact, the radio gets stuck so that neither the tuning knob or the touch screen will change any property of the radio (frequency, mode, band, etc.)
Thanks,
Stephen

Arv Evans

You seem to be confusing "operating instructions" with "alignment Procedure"
and the "How It Works" explanation.  .

If the alignment procedure is followed properly the result will be settings that
probably never need to be changed during normal operation.

The "How It Works" part is just for educational purposes, and in case you ever
have to do any troubleshooting.

Arv
_._

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Stephen KO4CVU <goinfishin1952@...> wrote:
W2CTX,
Help me understand two things I found on the page at www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/
1. Under the heading “Operating the Radio” and beside the bullet point “USB/LSB” there is the instruction to “Touch on either of the buttons to choose the side band.” There is no mention of a subsequent adjustment required on the encoder.
2. Under the heading “(De) Modulator” The sideband is inverted by flipping the second oscillator between 33 MHz and 56 MHz.” How is the oscillator flipped? Is there some output from the Arduino that prompts this? If so, what test point might show this change of state?
Thanks,
Stephen

W2CTX

1. Yes that is supposed to be it works but the code never called setFrequency() in order to set the mode.
2. The setFrequency() routine has logic to determine how to set the oscillator.

Anyone else can jump in and add additional information.