Topics

V6 reinstall

dave <dgclifford@...>

hello on completion of my v6 it did not work (locked up).   tried various tricks no joy, so i thought reload the software watched farhans utube presentation  and im still stuffed i am no computer wizz and i followed the script with no joy  i am using zorin 15 which i like, getting the down load from github was ok and installing the arduino ide was good   but i must be doing something wrong maybe at the github download stage. anyone  know of a real idiots guide (me) that i can follow . monkey see monkey do styl,e as i see this becoming a project to far for me

Evan Hand

dave,

I do not have a v6 uBiTx, so cannot give you a step by step process.  The one comment that I would make is that it will help if you can state what the rig is or is not doing; outline the problem as best you can.

Reloading the software into the rig is one of the last steps to try to correct issues with the rig.  Most are either assembly, power supply, or calibration issues that are not solved by software reload.  It should be noted that reloading the factory software DOES NOT reset the calibration.  That is unique for each board/Raduino combination and is set in the factory before shipping.  These values are stored in a different part of the Arduino Nano memory (EEPROM).

The upload process is to add new features or correct bugs in one of the features, in general not to correct the basic operation of the rig.

Again, I would suggest that you spell out what is not working first.  Then look for help in updating the software if and only if that is needed, or you want to add the newer screen update improvement as an example.  Do not update until you have the rig as shipped working.  It is much easier to troubleshoot from a known good state.

Just suggestions on my part.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Vic WA4THR

I agree that the software is probably NOT the problem, unless you have tried to overwrite it. Check your wiring carefully...you should have header wires left over that are not used anywhere. The speaker should plug into the main board and the encoder to the Raduino. There will also be connections on teh main board that are not needed. Can you describe the "locked up" condition? If it is just the touch screen that isn't responding, press and hold the tuning knob until the menu comes up and recalibrate the screen.

I also understand the jump into reprogramming the Raduino can be daunting teh first time. Back when I jumped in the water I was playing with the predecessor to the uBitX, the BitX40, and this message helped me to upload the improved software written by Allard Munter: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26522?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,guide+to+arduino,20,2,20,5045944
Maybe it can help guide if you finally upgrade the OEM stuff. I believe Ashar Farhan has made a video about how to load software on the V6.

=Vic=

Evan Hand

Here is the YouTube from Ashhar Farhan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_V3prSJ_E&feature=youtu.be

Note that he is using Ubuntu Linux.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Rene

Hello, have also problems with the Bitx, the biggest problem is the housing(my case). I have to pull up the arduino board aprox 5 mm. I think that some contacts are broken when totaly build up. Maybe remove front and try again?? If you can push down the arduino a little maybe the contacts are better.
Regards from another monkey
Rene
Netherlands