Topics

#v6 side tone too loud #v6

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

too bad there wasn't a memory manager type routine where you could go in and adjust a digital value to adjust a lot of the separate parameters like this one. But nano mem is restricted so I guess no room for those luxurious extras hihi

On 2020-03-14 11:01 a.m., Ralph King via Groups.Io wrote:
When I use CW and am trying to work a weak station on the new uBitx V6 (v6.1) the side tone is too loud.  If I turn down the volume to cut it back the station that I'm working is too weak.  How do I just cut back on the cw side tone ?

Ralph  K1KOB

Reed N

The Arduino PWM module has a fixed output voltage, so you'd have to modify the duty cycle to get the desired perceived output. This isn't possible using the "native" tone function, so it would require somebody to write custom code for it. Definitely not impossible, but also not trivial. https://www.arduino.cc/reference/en/language/functions/advanced-io/tone/

An easy hardware fix would be to add a variable resistor near R250 (or elsewhere in that RC chain prior to the capacitor labeled R253) attached to ground to create a voltage divider.

Reed

Evan Hand

Jim W0EB added a variable resistor to both the v3 to 5 Raduion clone and the v6.  You could order one of the kits from: http://www.w0eb.com/

The alternative is to mimic his implementation of placing a variable resistor between the Raduino and the main board.  The place that I scoped out was to lift R250 and mount it toumbston style and solder the wiper into that point, and ground one end of a 10k+ variable resistor and the other end to the pad that was lifted.

I personally would go with Jim's clone board.  It gives the option of a spare if something goes south.  The Nano supplied works with both.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Curt

take a look to see how that part of the schematic compares to v4 -- I used this simple fix, except I think I used a larger value resistor - you may need to experiment a little.

https://petetest2017.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/cw-tone-amplitude-reduction.pdf

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I tamed the sidetone volume in my V3 by inserting a pot (think volume control) as described. I harvested mine from an old transistor radio (it's volume control).

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

David Wilcox <Djwilcox01@...>

I always keep a couple of inexpensive ear phone extension cords with built in volume controls available from Amazon and EBay. Cheap, handy, and no mods. I just need another hand to control the volume.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Mar 14, 2020, at 6:20 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Zabawa

I am playing with a 10K digital potentiometer to allow for an adjustable sidetone level.  I have connected a 2.2K resistor from the wiper to ground to approximate an audio taper.  Right now I am controlling it with another nano which is also being used to control a SOTABEAMS Vari-Beam DSP audio filter.  Eventually I will replace the Raduino with a Teensys 4.0 adaptor board and my own software to control both devices.

  Digital Potentiometer