Topics

Cat interface #v6

Rene

Hello, i have the V6 and am listening al lot of FT8. When i get my N-licence i also want to transmit. There is a lot about connecting the Bitx to the pc. But why is het not possible to connect the Bitx whita cat cable from Icom?? There ar some at ebay for arround 10 euro. The way i think is that the Cat has only to connect audio in and out and ptt. So cut of the plug and connect it to the ports on the Bitx. I am not so far with radio electronics as the most people on this forum....but i realy don't know why this is not working....maybe someone already tryed?? Regards, Rene, Newbeeee, Netherlands

Evan Hand

Rene,

The short answer is that the Icom radios (at least the IC-7300 that I have) have a built in sound card that captures the audio on the radio and converts to a USB audio stream.  The uBITX does not have that sound card.  All that it has is the USB connection to the Nano on the Raduino.  This is good to control the uBITX (the Nano is the controller for the rig), but the Nano does not capture the audio signals.

To get the audio to the computer, you need to connect the headphone and mic signals to a sound card (can be in the computer or external through a USB port) so that the FT8 or other digital mode program can decode the audio to form the message.

Hope my explanation helps, and good luck with your exams.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Rene

Oké, bedankt voor het snelle antwoord, maar nogmaals, wat maakt de ptt omschakeling ??. Is dat via de usb ??
Groeten
Rene

Evan Hand

I am using Google translate to read your message, so please excuse any errors.  I got "Okay, thanks for the quick answer, but again, what makes the ptt switch ?? Is that via the usb ??
Groeten

For the Icom 7300, all of the controls, including PTT happen through the USB connection.

For my Hermes Light 2 it is via Ethernet and internal software connections.

For the uBitx, all of the rig control functions including band, frequency and push to talk are controlled by the Raduino Nano and can be controlled using the USB CAT controls.  The audio signals including volume control and mic level have to be connected and controlled in some other way.  This can be direct to a headphone/mic jack on the computer (volume and mic level), on an analog interface, or using a USB audio dongle.

My current state with the uBitx on FT8 is marginal.  I need to improve my audio interface and come up with a way to better control the audio into the mic input.  There is metering on the audio going into the WSJT X software, and I can easily adjust the volume control on the rig to the correct level.  There is not an easy way to measure the signal quality for the audio going into the mic jack of the uBitx.  There is a way to adjust the audio level, just not a way to measure the actual signal coming out of the uBitx for quality.

There are other issues that I still need to address.  I by no means am an expert on digital modes with the uBitx.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Mick

Rene, Evan,
I also use the CEC software and cat control via USB on my ubitx. For signal connection I use the USB to audio adapter $15CAD below. This works extremely well with my audio out volume set at about 70%. I’ve made QSO’s to Europe several times now and I’m pushing about 20 W output with 14 Vic supply voltage. Just make sure the PTT wire from the adapter to the ubitx is disconnected otherwise it will try to TX when you don’t want it to. I got tired of switching plugs (mic and headset) when on FT8 so I mounted separate Jacks on the back panel and wired them to the correct pins on the audio 1 plug.

UGREEN USB Audio Adapter External Stereo Sound Card Universal USB Stereo with 3.5mm Headphone and Microphone Jack for Windows, Mac, Linux, PC, Laptop, Desktop, PS4, Raspberry Pi, Surface 3 Pro (Black) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZoszEb00J4QFD

Mick VA3EPM

_Dave_ AD0B

In WSJTX for CAT control set the rig type to a  Yaesu 857 and use a USB connector between the raduino and computer to control the frequency and switching between Tx and Rx.  I mounted a USB multiple port inside the case and plugged a USB sound card in that. The transmit and receive levels are controlled via the volume pot. the transmit is controlled by the screen control.

To set the power out put I turn down the transmit gain on the wsjt screen until the level on my power meter drops a bit and don't run higher than that.

it seems that that a lot of operators on this mode run a power amp,  wsjt is weak signal joe taylor.
Dave
AD0B
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Evan Hand

I am using a Sabrent usb dongle connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 for audio and USB for CAT.  I am using the Yaesu  FT-817 config settings.

Dave, I do something similar to adjust the audio level; A quick CW key down to read power level and then adjust the TX out on the WSJT-X software to have a level just below that.

The above does work for me, however not ideal as I do not know if I am under or over driving, and find that I need to adjust power levels when I change bands.

The return response to a CQ seems to be really low: maybe 1 in 20.  My biggest issue is still the attic antenna.  That or the fact that there is all kinds of noise in my subdivision.

Bottom line is that it does work, however all kinds of opportunity for improvement.

Thank-you for the suggestions Dave.

73
Evan
AC9TU

_Dave_ AD0B

Read a story in qst about investigators in the national radio quiet zone were having a cow until they found a Raspberry making a lot of radio noise.
Dave
AD0B
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Rene

Okay, thx now i know a litlle more and can go on with soldering on de Bitx
Regards Rene
Netherlands

Rene

Okay Dave, also thx for you, this is 1 off the thibks i like from Bitx, always someone to help you👍