Topics

Efficient speaker for low volume #ubitx #audiocircuit

Don - KM4UDX

There are multiple spots to insert audio gain. Using a very efficient (96 dB 1W/1m ) speaker is one.

The speaker below is not small, but it has a sealed back needing  no accustic enclosure, sings the mid-range -- which is good for the average human voice.

https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gm-85-8-heavy-duty-5-1-4-sealed-back-midrange-8-ohm--280-115

I use it in as an external speaker with a "steam punk" esthetic.   The sound is dreamy to my ears -- I mean to the extent any signal on HF could be described as dreamy.

Mark Muller

Great idea, Don. If you're looking for a smaller speaker with high sensitivity in the audio frequency region, you might give this one a try.

https://www.parts-express.com/2-mylar-cone-full-range-waterproof-speaker-d0050008nm14bar--289-204

Looking at the sensitivity graph, it might sound pretty "bright" - you won't get much bass, but it cuts off fairly sharply after 6 kHz, so maybe that will be OK?

Can't beat the price!

73's de N5KNG (Mark)

Don - KM4UDX

I've always had a thing for clear speakers...I mean how cool is that...hahaha.

There is a price to be paid for that great small form factor...the efficiency is 84 dB 2.83V/1m.

The bigger non-transparent speaker with large magnet efficiency is 96 db...so the difference between the two (84-96) is 12 db gain going from smaller to larger.

But the Mylar speaker is the small bomb.

Jack, W8TEE

FWIW, I find Parts-Express to be a really good and responsive company. I've purchased quite a few items from them, including a cheap solder station (<$15.00) and cheap speakers and have been happy with the products and their service.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

This looks like the same speaker I bought from them and put in my Morse Code Tutor for last year's FDIM talk. Even with a crappy amp, the entire room could hear the signal.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, March 1, 2020, 10:09:26 AM EST, Mark Muller <markvmuller@...> wrote:

Great idea, Don. If you're looking for a smaller speaker with high sensitivity in the audio frequency region, you might give this one a try.

https://www.parts-express.com/2-mylar-cone-full-range-waterproof-speaker-d0050008nm14bar--289-204

Looking at the sensitivity graph, it might sound pretty "bright" - you won't get much bass, but it cuts off fairly sharply after 6 kHz, so maybe that will be OK?

Can't beat the price!

73's de N5KNG (Mark)

--
Jack, W8TEE

Trystan G0KAY

Jack,

The thing is, that Mylar cone speaker probably is an ideal speaker for morse as it has a resonance at around 700Hz, so that would explain it.

Trystan

Jack, W8TEE

Yep, I noticed that on the response curve.

Jack, W8TEE