Topics

New to BITX,simple questions

Mike

When I buy direct ,,,,,will latest drivers,firmware be there? Like to heard from people that assembled,is it safe to try out TX on a discone??Ill be reading this group awhile before getting one, THanks,,,,,,,

Evan Hand

The short answer is no, unless the discone you have can work down to 28 MHz, as that is the hugest band  that the ubitx can operate on.

Note:  You do need an amateur radio license for this radio, and to use it on SSB (for a USA licensee) a general class or better is required on all bands below 28 MHz. A technician class could use it on the 10 meter segment that allows SSB, or for the CW Morse code portions of the bands. However, this transceiver is not the best for CW.  There are other rigs that are focused on CW that can be both cheaper and more functional for CW (The QRPLabs QCX series come to mind).

So the steps I would recommend depends on your preference.  all starts with studying for the exame for the type of operation that you want to do.
General for Phone/SSB
Technician for CW and VHF/UHF operation

Then picking a rig based on mode of operation
plan the antenna Including the needed room for an antenna
pass the examine
order the rig and parts/kits for the auxiliary equipment and antenna.
I would include a dummy load as on of the pieces of test gear, as well as a low power SWR/Power meter, and at least a digital multi meter.

The QRPLab sight as well as the QRP kits
https://qrp-labs.com/
https://www.qrpkits.com/

Hope this helps.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Peter LB0K

Regarding the QCX trcvr.
It isn't meant to work on 10m, or 12m or 15m.

Am I right in suggesting it won't be much use for a USA tech license?

Evan Hand

The QCX is a CW (Morse Code) only single band transceiver.  There is one available for the CW segments that a Technician class can operate, just no SSB/Phone.
http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcx

Look up  ARRL Band Plan on the internet.  That will show you the segments that a technician class can operate on legally.

Here is a link to a specific page on Technician privileges (note, you may need to be a member to view it.  No way for me to check as I am a member):
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Tech%20Band%20Chart/Tech%20Band%20Chart.pdf

73
Evan
AC9TU