Topics

TX frequency is 1.2 kHz off #calibration #cw #v6 #bfo

Juha Lindfors

Hi all,

Build the v6 yesterday and made freqquency and bfo alingments as shown in
video. How ever when transmitting cw the frequency is 1.2kHz off. For example,
calling a station on 3530 kHz (freq readout) my tx signal is on 3531.2. The rbn network and
websdrs confirms the issue.

What next?

73, Juha OH8CW

Juha Lindfors

... on cw both lights are red usb and cw. Is it ok?

Juha, OH8CW

Walter

Been around for a few years AD4LO extra class have worked with different radios and kits. I think that the factories that make these kits should have better quality control and these problems should never happen.

W2CTX

If this issue was right out of the box I would agree with you except he did his own alignment!
Was it working properly before he did is alignment?

On Friday, February 28, 2020, 8:44:38 AM EST, Walter via Groups.Io <waltrathbun@...> wrote:

Been around for a few years AD4LO extra class have worked with different radios and kits. I think that the factories that make these kits should have better quality control and these problems should never happen.

Juha Lindfors

It was off before adjustments. If my mistake in alignment then it can be adjusted back?  But anyway, need some ideas how to get tx on the frequency.

Juha OH8CW

On Friday, February 28, 2020, 8:44:38 AM EST, Walter via Groups.Io <waltrathbun=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Been around for a few years AD4LO extra class have worked with different radios and kits. I think that the factories that make these kits should have better quality control and these problems should never happen.

Juha Lindfors

This rig has the new v6.1 software. Can it be a software issue?

Juha OH8CW

Skip Davis

Juha the short answer is yes. Do the received signals sound good both CW and SSB? If so just go back into the calibration menu and adjust the VFO frequency only.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Feb 28, 2020, at 09:33, Juha Lindfors <lindfors.juha@...> wrote:

It was off before adjustments. If my mistake in alignment then it can be adjusted back?  But anyway, need some ideas how to get tx on the frequency.

Juha OH8CW

pe 28. helmikuuta 2020 klo 15.53 W2CTX via Groups.Io <w2ctx=yahoo.com@groups.io> kirjoitti:
If this issue was right out of the box I would agree with you except he did his own alignment!
Was it working properly before he did is alignment?

On Friday, February 28, 2020, 8:44:38 AM EST, Walter via Groups.Io <waltrathbun=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Been around for a few years AD4LO extra class have worked with different radios and kits. I think that the factories that make these kits should have better quality control and these problems should never happen.

Juha Lindfors

After long adjustments it's now 0.9 kHz off :)

Juha OH8CW

Juha Lindfors

Have done that for hours trying to get it on the frequency.

Listening on websdr, my ft3000, and rbn network. Adjusted also on lsb using stations on 3699.

Now I'm close - 0.9khz off, but can't get closer. It runs away again. Perhaps this can be done but hard it is.

Juha OH8CW

pe 28. helmikuuta 2020 klo 16.53 Skip Davis via Groups.Io <skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> kirjoitti:

[...]

I believe with the standard software in CW the TX freq is the display freq +- sidetone.
So if your sidetone is set to 900 then it may be working correctly.  There should be
no offset in SSB.

rOn

On Friday, February 28, 2020, 10:40:09 AM EST, Juha Lindfors <lindfors.juha@...> wrote:

[...]

Sidetone adjustment does not affect. Tried e.g. 500, but the offset stayed 1.2kHz. At the moment it is 750. But I'll try that again

Juha OH8CW

pe 28. helmikuuta 2020 klo 17.45 W2CTX via Groups.Io <w2ctx=yahoo.com@groups.io> kirjoitti:

[...]

Changed tone to 100Hz. No effetct.

Juha OH8CW

Juha Lindfors

Got it! Using LSB and changing tone properly I can get it on the freq!

Juha OH8CW

Juha Lindfors

 ... SSB is not readable though ... hmmm...

Curt

Juha

the frequency display on the ubitx with supplied firmware is set up to display the SSB carrier frequency.

when we send CW - the frequency display does not change, but the transmit frequency is offset - either 700 Hz down on LSB or 700 Hz up on USB.  so we expect it to be off by around 700 Hz, or whatever pitch you are tuning the CW signal being received.  yes it is different for this rig, because CW happens in the SSB mode.

this is the primary matter.  a second thing is how well the ubitx is frequency calibrated.  since you think you are 1200 kHz off - possibly 700 Hz is the 'normal' offset for CW - and possibly the other 500 Hz is calibration error, just a guess.

some are using third party firmware, such as KD8CEC - but for now I am doing simple math to discern my transmit frequency.  this matter is frequently discussed here.

take time to catch the nuances of this rig - it is still very nice.  later decide if you wish to change the firmware.

73 curt wb8yyy

Juha Lindfors

Ok, I'll try to get it ok and start in the beginning.

I have tried to call nearby stations but has no luck. After that I noticed the offset. I listened on my ft3000 and my tx was off. I think if the both radios are eg. 3553 I'll here the ubitx tx on the frequency not on 3553.7 or? And eg. Rbn stations show that they hear me on 3554.3 not on 3553?

Well, I think I'll get this in the end :)
Otherwise this rig will suit for my purposes and I'll not give up :)

Juha OH8CW

pe 28. helmikuuta 2020 klo 18.33 Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> kirjoitti:

[...]

Curt, does the basic v6 accept this third-party software?

Juha

[...]

Evan Hand

The short answer for the KD8CEC (HamsKey.com) software is no, you would need to have either one of the original 2 line displays, or a Nextion display.  There are ither displays, but not the one supplied with the v6 ubitx.  The reason (I believe) is that the display as supplied takes up a lot of Arduino code to drive it.  There is a lot of other features that are built into the CEC software that leaves little room for the screen driver.

There is another choice, that is to update the firmware to the most recent version through github.  Farhan as updated the base code with the changes from Reed that also inculde screen update time improvements.

You can always go back to the original software, once you learn how to update it.

Here is the ink to Farhan's Github:
https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Here is the message thread that talks about the CW offset issues.
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/ubitx_on_cw/69640840?p=Created,,,20,1,0,0

I would look into the Arduino.cc website to learn how to use the Arduino IDE that would be needed to load in the new v6.3.1 software from Farhan (sum of multiple updates listed in the github descriptions).

The biggest problem that has shown up multiple times is
1 - insuring that all the files are in the same directory named the same as the main .ino file.
2 - connecting to the Nano on the Raduino, as there are multiple Nano's on the market and getting the correct driver for the USB connection can be confusing.

Sorry that I could not find the message with the steps to compile and load the newest firmware.  You could try looking on this site to see if you can find a detailed how to.

Good Luck
73
Evan
AC9TU

Juha Lindfors

Made the frequency adjustment by sending AM with ft3000.
Now send USB CW on freq readout 3541 I'm getting
rbn reports on 3541.7. Perhaps this ok now?

Juha OH8CW

Juha Lindfors

Thanks Evan,

I have watched Farhan's video how to update a couple days ago and I have played
with Arduinos and ESP32s so that is quite familiar to me. Sure I'll update to newest
version but does it solve the actual issue? Hope so.

Juha OH8CW