Topics

Size and type of USB program cable

Ralph King

Just got my BITX V6 today.  Put it together and it works just fine. I have one question.
On the USB program cable that plugs into the back, what size and type plug do I need ?
I looked in my drawer of cables, and all of the plugs that I have are too small to fit.

Thanks in advance

Ralph  K1KOB  r.rking41@...

Jack, W8TEE

Go to your favorite internet search engine, type in "USB connector types", then select "Images" from below the search bar and look for the one that matches you connector. I don't have a V6 (yet), but you should see one that matches. (I think it is Type B).

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

Hi Ralph,

I bought a special one so I can use an android phone to do a reset of the nano using the phone if needed. It was an 18 inch USB mini to USB micro connector adapter cable; the mini connects to the phone and the micro to the rig. It was about $15 and they said if I wanted a 3 ft or 6ft one the costs jumps up to $50-$60 range. Not a common one for sure.

On 2020-02-25 11:07 a.m., Ralph King via Groups.Io wrote:
Just got my BITX V6 today.  Put it together and it works just fine. I have one question.
On the USB program cable that plugs into the back, what size and type plug do I need ?
I looked in my drawer of cables, and all of the plugs that I have are too small to fit.

Thanks in advance

Ralph  K1KOB  r.rking41@...

David Nelson

According to Ashars video it is an usb mini. The same as used with the arduino. dave kc2ipx

On 2020-02-25 11:07 a.m., Ralph King via Groups.Io wrote:
Just got my BITX V6 today.  Put it together and it works just fine. I have one question.
On the USB program cable that plugs into the back, what size and type plug do I need ?
I looked in my drawer of cables, and all of the plugs that I have are too small to fit.

Thanks in advance

Ralph  K1KOB  r.rking41@...

Ben Holmes

This is what I bought from Ebay - cost $3.89:

USB CAMERA CABLE 6FT CORD USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED TYPE A MALE TO MINI-B 5P MALE

If you search for that phrase, you should find just what you need.

support@...

Hello Ralph,

It is a Mini Type B USB cable.

Hope that helps.

Thomas
--
Support@...

N0YWB

Most Arduino Nano boards use a USB mini receptacle, so that is the receptacle on the uBITx v6 chassis. note: Auduino Nanos are now available with micro USB and USB C connectors.

You will need a USB A to mini USB adapter cable, available at most derpartment stores.
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372572584649

Mini USB is obsolete. It was quickly superceded by the slimmer micro USB,
Micro USB is what you see on the majority of Android phones and notebook computers today.

Micro USB has recently been superceded by the USB C connector.
USB C has twice as many contacts and an oval shell,
so it does not matter which way is up and is less prone to damage than the micro USB.
USB C is also designed to handle 20 Amperes at 5 Volts.
New devices will use USB C, like the Raspberry Pi 4 and nanoVNA.
Micro USB to Type C adapters are inexpensive
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352721046229

A micro USB connector has a fifth contact, used to determine host or device role.
A USB "On the Go" (OTG) adapter can turn a USB device to a USB host
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/312633558827

Note that the Teensy 4.0 micro upgrade for the uBITx v6 has a micro USB connector.
I recently bought a digi card for my uBITX v6 that has a USB B chassis receptacle.
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/391913912457

To support experimenting, buy a set of USB connector adapters.