Topics

uBITX V5 Firmware Hex Files

Daniel Flanagan

Sorry... my mistake....

On 2/14/20, Stephanus K6NG <stephanus1@...> wrote:
Dan,
Lots of good information on KD8CEC website with all the explanations as
well:

http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Good luck,
Stephanus
K6NG

Stephanus K6NG

Dan,
   Lots of good information on KD8CEC website with all the explanations as well:

http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Good luck,
  Stephanus
K6NG

Jack, W8TEE

Actually, multiple source code files is a wonderful thing! First, you can dedicate a file to a general category (e.g., MenuSystem.cpp, DisplaySystem.cpp, etc) which can really help when trying to find functions during debugging. More importantly, multiple files with only one INO file (e.g., the one that contains setup() and loop()) allows the compiler to do incremental compiles, which can save a TON of time.

So, look on those files with a smile, as they will make your life easier once you understand their role.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 6:10:39 PM EST, Daniel Flanagan <danflan49@...> wrote:

OK... Thanks guys for the info.  Sounds pretty straight forward, just
confused by all the files contained in a source code listing.

I'll ask if I have any more questions.

Dan (W3DF)

--
Jack, W8TEE

Daniel Flanagan

--
Jack, W8TEE

Dean Souleles

Hi Dan -

A good place to start is ubitx.net - the links on the right hand side of the page take you to the correct pages.

You don't need the IDE at all if you just want to load the hex files.

As Evan said, you can get the HEX files from Ian Lee's GitHub -

https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx

If you do want to build the CEC files from source that is straight forward also.  You need to unzip the source into a folder.  Be aware that  a requirement of the Arduino IDE is that the folder that the sketch source is loaded into must be the same name as the main INO file for the sketch.  If you can't figure it out,  I can identify the INO file for you and point you to the #defines for V5 and for your particular display when I get home this evening.

If you want to learn programming for the Arduino - just follow the examples in the book and you should be well on the way.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - we'll do what we can to help.

Good luck and have fun!

73,
Dean
KK4DAS

Evan Hand

The hex files are in the github repository listed in my response before.  All of the versions are in the zip file (uBITX_CEC_V1.200.zip), with the descriptions of which files to use with which display to use in the FileNamesInfo.txt file in each of the folders in the zip file.  The name of the folder tells you which version of ubitx to use.

There is the github link again:
[...]

Start with a simple example source code program to begin with. Hook up your Nano to the USB port and install the IDE as explained in the book. Then load the Blink program (File --> Examples --> 01. Basics --> Blink is the menu sequence, which is also explained in the book). Make sure you have the board set to Nano (i.e., Tools --> Boards) and you've selected the USB port connected to your PC/Nano. Now click the Compile/Upload icon (just below the File menu option) and you should see the Nano blinking.

If the IDE does not upload the compiled code to your Nano, you may need to download and install the CH340 driver. Just search for "CH340 download" and install the driver. If it still doesn't upload, you may have a Nano clone with an old bootloader. Go to the Tools menu and look for the Bootloader option. If you see it (you may not), select "Old bootloader" (those are the exact words, but close enough). Now try it again...it should work.

Mess around with a couple of other example programs. When you feel comfortable doing that, then compile/load the KD8CDC software.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020, 3:48:40 PM EST, Daniel Flanagan <danflan49@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I am new to all of this.  I just got my Arduino Nano board and W8TEE's
Book on Beginning C for the Arduino.  I don't know how to compile the
source code files yet.  I want to upgrade the firmware on my stock V5
to a version of KD8CEC's firmware.  I have searched all over the web
for them but come up empty, all I find is source code.  Can someone
point me to where I can download the firmware HEX files from KD8CEC?

Thanks,
Dan (W3DF)

--
Jack, W8TEE