Topics

Alternatives to Baofeng mic?

John AE5X <ae5x@...>

I'm new to the uBITX scene (had a V1 way back) and was wondering what other mics others are using for improved audio over the Baofeng? Or audio mods that improve the tx audio?

Tnx/73,
--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Ken Hansen

Is the Baofeng mic giving you bad audio, or would you just prefer a mic that is perceived to be of higher quality?

A microphone is a very simple device, and very basic mics can provide excellent audio (I have heard many great audio reports about the hand mics included with the last few Icom radios - the 7300, the 7610 in particular.), but some people don't like hand mics and prefer other options (boom or desk stand microphones).

Microphones are one of those areas where a Ham can sink a lot of money without meaningfully improving their signal. Many/most new commercial radios have elaborate equalization capabilities, but a basic rig like the uBitx lacks such niceties, opting to focus on functionality, intelligibility, and affordability.

That's my $0.02,

Ken, N2VIP

On Dec 30, 2019, at 18:35, John AE5X <ae5x@...> wrote:

I'm new to the uBITX scene (had a V1 way back) and was wondering what other mics others are using for improved audio over the Baofeng? Or audio mods that improve the tx audio?

Tnx/73,
--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Curt

The Baofeng was introduced based upon its availability.  I perceive nothing special other than that.

As the uBITX was intended for amateurs who may lack the means to purchase commercial equipment - a microphone element and push button was included in the kit.  This provides a hint that the electret type of microphone is intended.

I confess I grabbed an old, no longer used Kenwood speaker microphone, replaced its connector, and found it drives the uBITX rather nicely.  Others in my local club with uBITX boards from the same batch found great difficulty getting enough drive with the electret microphones they had available.  (a few suggested audio mods are mentioned for this at our K3PZN uBITX website ...).

Some are adding speech processor boards, based often on an analog devices IC.  While I use a processor on my main appliance rig - I don't so far see that one is essential for my uBITX.

Try what you have available for a electret microphone.  If its works well enough, enjoy the rig.  if not - audio mods are around this website and others.

Curt wb8yyy

PS - add-ons like the Jackal address transmit audio -- decide your own path!  I am content with a mostly stock uBITX except working to correct spurious, and now adding a variable bandwidth receive audio filter (nescaf)

iz oos

In my opinion all SSB transceivers benefit from audio conpressors, except for those for which the speech is already very punchy, like the excellent MFJ monobands. A compressor increases the average power but limits the microphone output to a certain level preventing also splatter. Equalization is not necessary at all as you can move the BFO to cut basses.

Il 31/dic/2019 04:09, "Curt via Groups.Io" <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
[...]

Jay - WS4JM

I use the stock electret from the kit stuffed into an old microphone case from a defunct CB. I surrounded the electret with foam to secure it. I get good reports with it. I have also used a D104M6 with good results. The stock mic works fine if you can find a good way to mount it. YMMV.

Jay
WS4JM

I use this one on all my bitx's and get great audio reports.
http://www.qrpkits.com/microphone.html

Joel
N6ALT

Ashhar Farhan

There is a lot of myth around these mics. I have seen some hams spend a fortune on their microphones. Most of this is quite useless. Let me explain, why.
1. The audio channel of an analog radio is limited to frequencies between 300 hz and 3000 hz. The frequency response of your mic below or above this not of much use. On the other hand a podcast recorded in FLAC format, sampled at 24 bit and 96 khz will sound very different between electret mic of the ubitx and a blue condensor mic.
2. Flatness of the mic's frequency response. This too isn't of much use. The crystal filters variations will dominate any gains you have at flatenning the response. In any case, less than a db of variations are hardly going to register at the other end.
3. Distortion. Most of the times, you want your voice to be compressed and hence distorted. We use ALC to up the gain while talking softly and then push the gain down while yelling. Additionally we use clipping and compression and this leads to distorted audio.
Save yourself the money, buy yourself something nice and better instead.

- f

On Tue 31 Dec, 2019, 6:53 PM Joel Caulkins/N6ALT, <caulktel@...> wrote:
I use this one on all my bitx's and get great audio reports.
http://www.qrpkits.com/microphone.html

Joel
N6ALT

MVS Sarma

Congrats. You have reasonably honored the mic element. Let it serve you well . Best of 2020

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 6:19 pm Jay - WS4JM, <ws4jm@...> wrote:
I use the stock electret from the kit stuffed into an old microphone case from a defunct CB. I surrounded the electret with foam to secure it. I get good reports with it. I have also used a D104M6 with good results. The stock mic works fine if you can find a good way to mount it. YMMV.

Jay
WS4JM

howard winwood G4GPF

I put my kit Mike in a defunct fibre tip pen case after removing the internals ( messy!) and the PTT button on the side .
G4GPF

MVS Sarma

Bestvof 2020 in advance.

You can use desktop mouse , otherwise lying idle. The leftbor ,/and right buttons can be wired for ptt.  Etc

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 8:13 pm howard winwood G4GPF, <winwoodh@...> wrote:
I put my kit Mike in a defunct fibre tip pen case after removing the internals ( messy!) and the PTT button on the side .
G4GPF

I have to say that when I first hooked up my new V6 Ubitx I measured power output on 40 meters using the Baofeng mic, it was around 8 watts, then I switched to the http://www.qrpkits.com/microphone.html mic and measured 10 plus watts. The first report I got told me the Baofeng mic sound clamped and tinny while the qrpkits mic sounded clear and full audio and I came up a couple of S units. I don't doubt the Baofeng mic will work just fine, but why not have the best audio you can? I now have a total of 5 of these mics and always get good audio reports. On a side note, I bought a Xiegu G1M SDR radio when they first came out, it came with the exact same Baofeng mic, after a few bad audio reports I decided to modify the mic by drilling a larger hole in the housing and changing the electret capsule, it sounded better but still not as good as the qrpkits mic, so now I just use them on all of my radios and always get good reports. FWIW.

Joel
N6ALT

AF7XT

Kenwood KMC-8A

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 7:12 AM Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:
[...]

one of these days I will have an internet connection faster than my computer

Ashhar Farhan

Some mics will have more gain than others. You readjust the gain back from the RV1 in the predriver.
Between 8 watta and 10 watts the difference is entirely imperceptible.
- f

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You readjust the gain back from the RV1 in the predriver.
I'm having a heck of a time locating RV1 on the schematic...
https://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ubitxv6-724x1024.png

Any chance of providing us with one that's actually usable?

--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Roy Appleton

Easy there John, all you have to do is download the PDF on this page! https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

Roy
WA0YMH

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 11:45 AM John AE5X <ae5x@...> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You readjust the gain back from the RV1 in the predriver.
I'm having a heck of a time locating RV1 on the schematic...
https://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ubitxv6-724x1024.png

Any chance of providing us with one that's actually usable?

--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

Bill

Here is a very large version: https://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ubitxv6.png

Any time you see an image that has the size embedded in the URL, try removing or changing the size and you may find a bigger copy.  This works on all kinds of sites including major news and information sites.

 - Bill  KB3T

On 2019-12-31 12:52, Roy Appleton wrote:

Easy there John, all you have to do is download the PDF on this page! https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/

Roy
WA0YMH

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 11:45 AM John AE5X <ae5x@...> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:18 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
You readjust the gain back from the RV1 in the predriver.
I'm having a heck of a time locating RV1 on the schematic...
https://www.hfsignals.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ubitxv6-724x1024.png

Any chance of providing us with one that's actually usable?

--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/
_._,_._,_

John AE5X <ae5x@...>

Awesome, my bad - thanks.
--
John AE5X
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/

iz oos

The specs of the element in the qrpkits indicate ordinary sensitivity. In some other discussions last year, some suggested elements that are much more sensitive (-24db) available from Mouser. About compression and distortion, I just say that military manpacks have it. You do not have to yell to have output power, and especially in the night I find useful when you want to have a qso speaking below normal voice level. And in the case you speak aloud the output level remains the same without additional distortion. Regarding the difference in the output power, 8 vs 10w, it may depend that the case may produce a little more basses than the other. Just swap the elements between mikes to see if this is the case.

Il 31/dic/2019 18:18, "Ashhar Farhan" <farhanbox@...> ha scritto:
[...]

Dean Souleles

I've had a good experience with this Uniden CB mic on my V5.  Consistently good audio reports and have listened to it on websdrs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CLIB5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As wired it works with the connector supplied with the amateurradiokits.in case.

Good luck, happy New Year, and 73!

Dean
KK4DAS

Gordon Gibby

Thank you for that inexpensive recommendation!!!   I will probably switch to that from what I've been using for projects.
Gordon