Topics

Version 6 Received, and working. Comments, questions, and a couple of bugs

Neil Goldstein

My 6 arrived yesterday here in Upstate NY. A great Christmas/Hanukkah present!

I have it up and running.  No QSOs yet, but some observations and questions:

1: When you go into the setup menu, your current Freq and USB settings do not appear, but it resets everything as soon as you try to enter the field. This freaked me out at first because the defaults are way off, and it left me with an unusable radio.  I was able to figure out how to get it back though.  WWV is your friend!  It would be great if the current values displayed first though.
2: 17M preset not working. All other bands work fine.
3: Entering a frequency lower that 1000 kHz displays wrong. Example: entering 950 kHz displays as 9500, but is actually tuning 950. Turning the knob leaves you in the same band-range, but still displays as freq X 10 until you pass 1000 kHz, then it displays as 1000 kHz.
4: Screw on feet would be better. Adhesive not so great.
5: How do I display firmware version?  Not a huge issue right now, but going forward it might be helpful
6: Why so many extra screws?

That's all for now.  More as I play with it.  I have it hooked up to the Alex Loop here in the dining room, and will need to take it down for Dinner.  I'm home from work until Monday so I have time to play.

--Neil, W2NDG . radiokitguide.com

Bert N8NN

Neil -- Can you tell me more about number 1 in your list?  I got into the setup menu messed things up.  Got it working again by "ear" but I think it's not right.  I can't find any detailed instructions, or any instructions at all!

Bert N8NN

Neil Goldstein

Bert,

For the Freq adjustment, I tuned the radio to the loudest WWV broadcast (which I think in my case was 10 MHz) This could also work with any strong-ish broadcast station, but the tones on WWV are easier to work with.  I used two pairs of earbuds.  With one from the uBitx in one ear and one from my Icom-7300 in the other ear, I adjusted the setting until the pitch matched without a beat-wavering tone or as low as possible.

For the BFO adjustment, I just tuned to a strong SSB signal on the Ham bands and adjusted it till it sounded "right" to me.  Believe me, once you move around with the setting you'll know when it sounds good.

I hope that helps.

Incidentally, my 1/8" jacks protruded enough for the screw on nuts, and my volume control fit fine.  My board lined up with the holes enough for it to work, and I didn't really need the BNC nut.

--
Neil Goldstein  W2NDG  WQXD361
http://www.neilgoldstein.com

Nat Goldberg <nat@...>

Here is another comment

On Dec 27, 2019, at 6:16 PM, Neil Goldstein <neilgoldstein@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Bennett

Mine came also. Have not tried all bands but it hears. Band conditions were not too gong last night, but I does hear. Have not made a contact.

my only serious complaint so far is the brief delay in sending the first dit or dah.

nz2z