Topics

PTT with digital modes #bitx20 #cat #digital

V Zecchinelli <n1vin@...>

Good Afternoon,

I don't know if this has already been discussed.  I found one message with same issues but no answers.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

When I plug 3.5mm cable into PTT/Mic my V5 uBitx immediately goes into transmit.  I tried stereo cable, mono cable and even just a bare plug with no cable attached.  CAT works fine and so does audio but I can't get past the radio going into TX.

Using Windows 10 on Acer PC,  WSJTX V2.12.  CEC V1.08.

Thank you,
Vince N1VIN

Erwin - PE3ES - F4VTQ

Just had the same since yesterday. I installed the small PTT push button in the orange cable coming from Raduino board and going to the microphone key jack. Now th problem is over.

You can now do a CAT PTT with the CEC firmware (with or without a plug in the key jack) or a manual PTT when the plug is in the mic key jack.
I have used JS8CALL and WSJT-x to test PTT.
I have not transmitted so far.
--
PE3ES - F4VTQ - Erwin
73

W6LKB

I have this same issue with a new V6 transceiver.  Can get Cat via USB and audio out into the PC for WSJT-x.  But when I try to plug the stereo plug from my PC Speaker Output to the mic on my uBITX it immediately goes to xmit.  Tried different cables without success.  Any suggestions other than configuring a dongle?

Evan Hand

W6LKB,

The issue is that the PTT line is on the ring of the mic input.  The solution is to make a cable that does not have a connection to the ring.  Take a stereo cable and find the wire that goes to the ring and cut and isolate it.  The easiest way may be to cut the cable in half and use an ohmmeter to figure out how to connect a speaker line to the tip, NOT connecting to the ring, and the common or ground to the shield.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jim

This is why I don't like having Radio Shack no more.    I would have just went down and bought a new 3.5 plug, cut the old one off with enough wire left to check which is which, then soldered the new one on the correct wires.
Back in the day.

73
Jim KE0VVU

Doug W

When I was trying to sort this out on my BITX40 I found using a breakout jack made short work of it.  You might want to check out the wiki page I started https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/6119 with what worked for me.  There is a picture and link showing what I used on the wiki page.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Evan Hand

I do not doubt that this will work, however, PTT works over the USB CAT link so that all that is really needed in the Easy Digi kit are the transformers to isolate the audio.

I set up my WSJT-X using the following:

You will find that the audio levels need to be adjusted per the WSJT-X instructions.

I tried the FT-817 first and had some issues.  The FT-857 works well

73
Evan
AC9TU,

Bob Lunsford

Thanks for the link and thanks for the suggestions re the PA heat sinks/fans. I'm gonna dig through my stuff for small fan/s to suck the air out of my V6.

Thanks again.

Bob —  KK5R

On Friday, December 11, 2020, 11:53:18 AM EST, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 03:18 PM, V Zecchinelli wrote:
I tried stereo cable, mono cable and even just a bare plug with no cable attached.  CAT works fine and so does audio but I can't get past the radio going into TX.
When I was trying to sort this out on my BITX40 I found using a breakout jack made short work of it.  You might want to check out the wiki page I started https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/6119 with what worked for me.  There is a picture and link showing what I used on the wiki page.

--
www.bitxmap.com

W6LKB

That did the trick! Just made my first contact on FT8 with the uBITX!

Thank you.