Topics

bitx v6 is here

It helps if you leave commented part of post that you are referring to.

I think you are referring to QST, all magazines I have subscription to are
only available in PDF and not print currently.

Raj

At 17/06/2020, you wrote:
Over the last few months I've been searching for this title to no avail. Has the publication been canceled?

Dale Parfitt

What title are we discussing?

Dale W4OP

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of W4MWD
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:15 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] bitx v6 is here

Over the last few months I've been searching for this title to no avail.   Has the publication been canceled?

W4MWD

Over the last few months I've been searching for this title to no avail.   Has the publication been canceled?

Bill

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to get a V6.  DHL claims they delivered on 12/26 (ordered 12/15), but no package to be found.  Neighbors don't have it.  I don't live in an area with "porch pirates" (or .  Security camera never shows a DHL van/truck even came to my house.  POD says it was signed for by "Delivered".  Message in to DHL for an explanation, but I'm not optimistic.   :-(

- Bill

George

Dear Mr Ashhar: to the very worm 7805 I added back to back 7809 on the wires of 7805 and it works good! Thanks and best regards!

Vaughn

FAB Jerry, KE7ER, will look into the link you gave and possibly get one in the new year. This answers all questions.

Many thanks for the help Vaughn

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 at 19:04, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
As Farhan said when introducing the v6, the circuitry is the same as the v5 except for the display.
And the main board now has connectors right on the board, so you hardly even have to know how to solder.
Otherwise same as the v5, which has been very successful.
You may not have access to QST, but they had a very positive review of the v5 in the Sept 2019 issue
  https://ubitx.net/2019/08/10/arrl-review-of-ubitx/

Given the new display, there is a fair bit of different firmware from the v5.
Could be a bug or two lurking there yet.
The reviewer did think he should have more mike gain, perhaps not realizing
that this could come at the cost of out-of-band spurs.
He also notes that power output drops off as you go up to the higher bands,
which may be why he wanted that mike gain knob.
You may decide to add AGC someday.
There will undoubtedly be new and improved firmware as time goes on. 
But the uBitx has matured considerably since v3 and v4.
You can just unbox it and plug things together to have a working rig that meets FCC specs.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 09:43 AM, Vaughn wrote:
OK, so have a Bitx40, very pleased with the rig, but had to make a number of fixes to get it working how I wanted and still have a couple to finish. This uBix V6, is this a ready to run model, or is there a number of fixes needed again?

Dont mind the fixing but if not fully documented, like some, it can take a long time.

Thanks for any and all input Vaughn

--
M0VLK - LARC Chairman 2018/19
2E0EDN
M6HJZ 73 to all

Jerry Gaffke

As Farhan said when introducing the v6, the circuitry is the same as the v5 except for the display.
And the main board now has connectors right on the board, so you hardly even have to know how to solder.
Otherwise same as the v5, which has been very successful.
You may not have access to QST, but they had a very positive review of the v5 in the Sept 2019 issue
  https://ubitx.net/2019/08/10/arrl-review-of-ubitx/

Given the new display, there is a fair bit of different firmware from the v5.
Could be a bug or two lurking there yet.
The reviewer did think he should have more mike gain, perhaps not realizing
that this could come at the cost of out-of-band spurs.
He also notes that power output drops off as you go up to the higher bands,
which may be why he wanted that mike gain knob.
You may decide to add AGC someday.
There will undoubtedly be new and improved firmware as time goes on. 
But the uBitx has matured considerably since v3 and v4.
You can just unbox it and plug things together to have a working rig that meets FCC specs.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 09:43 AM, Vaughn wrote:
OK, so have a Bitx40, very pleased with the rig, but had to make a number of fixes to get it working how I wanted and still have a couple to finish. This uBix V6, is this a ready to run model, or is there a number of fixes needed again?

Dont mind the fixing but if not fully documented, like some, it can take a long time.

Vaughn

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 at 17:17, Leon Bishop <n5pu@...> wrote:
Got mine ordered, suppose to ship in 4 or 5 days from this last Friday, but with Christmas and all I doubt it.  It will be here when it gets here!
73 y'all de N5PU es Merry Christmas!

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2019 9:59:05 AM

I just ordered a v6 and this is my first.

Mick
VA3EPM

On Dec 21, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Mine too.  DHL tracking shows it's due Thursday.  Probably would have gotten here Wednesday but they won't deliver on Christmas day and I don't blame them.

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 12/21/2019 12:49:00 PM

I just received notification and tracking information on my V6, so it should be here in US in about a week. I will post when it arrives. Don't know why I'm getting excited about this, this will be my 8th Bitx since they were introduced.

Joel
N6ALT

--
M0VLK - LARC Chairman 2018/19
2E0EDN
M6HJZ 73 to all

Leon Bishop <n5pu@...>

Got mine ordered, suppose to ship in 4 or 5 days from this last Friday, but with Christmas and all I doubt it.  It will be here when it gets here!
73 y'all de N5PU es Merry Christmas!

Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2019 9:59:05 AM

Mick
VA3EPM

Mine too.  DHL tracking shows it's due Thursday.  Probably would have gotten here Wednesday but they won't deliver on Christmas day and I don't blame them.

Jim - W0EB

I just received notification and tracking information on my V6, so it should be here in US in about a week. I will post when it arrives. Don't know why I'm getting excited about this, this will be my 8th Bitx since they were introduced.

Joel
N6ALT

Mick

Mick
VA3EPM

Mine too.  DHL tracking shows it's due Thursday.  Probably would have gotten here Wednesday but they won't deliver on Christmas day and I don't blame them.

Jim - W0EB

Joel
N6ALT

Jim Sheldon

Jim - W0EB

Joel
N6ALT

Joel
N6ALT

Jerry Gaffke

I managed to download the v6 code from github.com/afarhan a couple days ago.
Today I no longer see the v6 code

I assume it has been removed while a bug or two gets fixed,
and a new version will be posted when it's ready.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 01:40 AM, Matt 9V1MH / VK3AMH wrote:
Hi Farhan

I went to the link for the v6 code  https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

however the underlying URL to that text is https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v5

if i change the v5 to v6 i.e. https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v6

github says page not found??

v6 also does not appear in any of the repositories listed

cheers

Matt

Gerry Kavanagh

Eric,
When you tighten the BPF to around 300Hz, it does for sure. This would not be possible on the uBitx without significant rework. Yes, the Goetzel algorithm can be tuned to a specific frequency but it is still error prone where there are many signals in the passband.
/ Gerry

Matt 9V1MH/VK3AMH/YF2AAH

Hi Farhan

I went to the link for the v6 code  https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

however the underlying URL to that text is https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v5

if i change the v5 to v6 i.e. https://github.com/afarhan/ubitx_v6

github says page not found??

v6 also does not appear in any of the repositories listed

cheers

Matt

Gerry Kavanagh

Joel,
I can see your point, but I already have enough big colour screens in my life. I like the minimalism to the original design.

/ Gerry

Buddy Brannan

Oh wow…thanks Farhan! That’s pretty useful information to have. I think that putting keypad control together will be useful still, especially for direct frequency entry, but glad to hear that all functions can still be activated without the touch screen. With morse output, it really could be used eyes-free. Great news, and I’ll pass it on.

Vy 73,

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Dec 14, 2019, at 9:44 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Buddy,
All the user interface is usable without needing touch. If you tap on the tuning knob for a second, you can move the focus from one button to the next and then click in the button to select again. Each button has text associated with it that can be read out. I have taken care to see to it that all features are accessible with and without touch. For example, the ability to enter a new frequency using the touch pad is replicated in fast tune where if you hold down the button while on one of the vfos , you can now quickly move across the bands in 50 khz steps.

Jack,
The function names are confusing as well..many variables are declared and not used any more. There is a large amount of code that is commented out as well. I have to clean that up, refactor reassemble. I will hopefully do this after Christmas.
The graphics library should really be called just a user interface library. The ILI9341 uses a SPI interface where it can fill a rectangle with a 16-bit colour. I used this to draw vertical lines, horizontal lines and pixels. No other graphical primitives have been used. The text characters are plotted pixel by pixel. The entire graphics routines are less than 100 lines. An often reused routine is the drawText routine that draws text centered inside a rectangle with a border. That makes all the buttons trivial. Almost all the user interface is just buttons, very much inspired by the jackal.
While tuning, i observed that only one digit if the frequency read out changes most of the time. So, the displayVFO routines figures which digits need to be repainted and updates only those. This routine is probably what makes the interface usable with the 8 bit power of the Arduino Nano.

- f

On Sun 15 Dec, 2019, 5:43 AM Buddy Brannan, <buddy@...> wrote:
Ooh…a thing that reads the screen in morse? That’s half the battle toward eyes-free operation. The other half, of course, is some additional way to control besides the built-in touch screen interface, like a programmable keypad. Seems to me there were a couple of implementations of this floating around. Do please elaborate.

On Dec 14, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

By morse reader, I actually meant software that reads out the screen in morse code.
I had fooled around with many morse decoders. Nothing really works on the bands. CW skimmer is the only thing that works under contest conditions.
So, if you want a morse code decoder that really works well, can adapt to any radio and needs no special hardware, then, spend a month, 20 minutes a day and practice at 30 wpm.
- f

On Sat 14 Dec, 2019, 9:56 PM splat1956, <dnrabin7@...> wrote:
Hi
This is very exciting. I have been thinking a long time but have not purchased one because I was afraid that the soldering and wiring instructions would be confusing. There have been many posts by confused builders.

This sounds great. Is there a morse code decoder built in or coming soon ? Your earlier post said " I have added a morse reader already. I shall finish integration to the user interface soon."
Please let us know when that is incorporated. I am unlikely to upgrade the software-firmware once it is working and that would be a very nice feature.

Great idea on the calibration with a known station signal for people without test equipment.

Thank you very much for this great upgrade !

David W9PH

Ashhar Farhan

Buddy,
All the user interface is usable without needing touch. If you tap on the tuning knob for a second, you can move the focus from one button to the next and then click in the button to select again. Each button has text associated with it that can be read out. I have taken care to see to it that all features are accessible with and without touch. For example, the ability to enter a new frequency using the touch pad is replicated in fast tune where if you hold down the button while on one of the vfos , you can now quickly move across the bands in 50 khz steps.

Jack,
The function names are confusing as well..many variables are declared and not used any more. There is a large amount of code that is commented out as well. I have to clean that up, refactor reassemble. I will hopefully do this after Christmas.
The graphics library should really be called just a user interface library. The ILI9341 uses a SPI interface where it can fill a rectangle with a 16-bit colour. I used this to draw vertical lines, horizontal lines and pixels. No other graphical primitives have been used. The text characters are plotted pixel by pixel. The entire graphics routines are less than 100 lines. An often reused routine is the drawText routine that draws text centered inside a rectangle with a border. That makes all the buttons trivial. Almost all the user interface is just buttons, very much inspired by the jackal.
While tuning, i observed that only one digit if the frequency read out changes most of the time. So, the displayVFO routines figures which digits need to be repainted and updates only those. This routine is probably what makes the interface usable with the 8 bit power of the Arduino Nano.

- f

On Sun 15 Dec, 2019, 5:43 AM Buddy Brannan, <buddy@...> wrote:
Ooh…a thing that reads the screen in morse? That’s half the battle toward eyes-free operation. The other half, of course, is some additional way to control besides the built-in touch screen interface, like a programmable keypad. Seems to me there were a couple of implementations of this floating around. Do please elaborate.

> On Dec 14, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
>
> By morse reader, I actually meant software that reads out the screen in morse code.
> I had fooled around with many morse decoders. Nothing really works on the bands. CW skimmer is the only thing that works under contest conditions.
> So, if you want a morse code decoder that really works well, can adapt to any radio and needs no special hardware, then, spend a month, 20 minutes a day and practice at 30 wpm.
> - f
>
> On Sat 14 Dec, 2019, 9:56 PM splat1956, <dnrabin7@...> wrote:
> Hi
> This is very exciting. I have been thinking a long time but have not purchased one because I was afraid that the soldering and wiring instructions would be confusing. There have been many posts by confused builders.
>
> This sounds great. Is there a morse code decoder built in or coming soon ? Your earlier post said " I have added a morse reader already. I shall finish integration to the user interface soon."
> Please let us know when that is incorporated. I am unlikely to upgrade the software-firmware once it is working and that would be a very nice feature.
>
> Great idea on the calibration with a known station signal for people without test equipment.
>
> Thank you very much for this great upgrade !
>
> David W9PH
>
>
>

Buddy Brannan

On Dec 14, 2019, at 12:38 PM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

By morse reader, I actually meant software that reads out the screen in morse code.
I had fooled around with many morse decoders. Nothing really works on the bands. CW skimmer is the only thing that works under contest conditions.
So, if you want a morse code decoder that really works well, can adapt to any radio and needs no special hardware, then, spend a month, 20 minutes a day and practice at 30 wpm.
- f

On Sat 14 Dec, 2019, 9:56 PM splat1956, <dnrabin7@...> wrote:
Hi
This is very exciting. I have been thinking a long time but have not purchased one because I was afraid that the soldering and wiring instructions would be confusing. There have been many posts by confused builders.

This sounds great. Is there a morse code decoder built in or coming soon ? Your earlier post said " I have added a morse reader already. I shall finish integration to the user interface soon."
Please let us know when that is incorporated. I am unlikely to upgrade the software-firmware once it is working and that would be a very nice feature.

Great idea on the calibration with a known station signal for people without test equipment.

Thank you very much for this great upgrade !

David W9PH

Rick,

We have one on order for testing and fitting of the AGC just to be sure it fits and works as it should. We will keep the group updated with our findings.

--
David

N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!