Topics

bitx v6 is here


Ashhar Farhan
 

People,

Here is what it looks like :
And of course, yoiu can buy it on hfsignals.com. The shipping will happen from Tuesday onwards. We have a limited supply of the first 200 boards. The rest is for after christmas.

The most important thing about this revision is that the  Radio circuitry is almost unchanged. We have incorporated the connectors on the PCBs. So, this kit needs none of the confusing soldering. You snap in the TFT Raduino onto the main board, plug the power and antenna from the back, snap on headphones, plug in the mic (supplied with the kit) and off you go!

It is offered in two kits now : The basic kit (150 USD) is without the box (like old times) but with a microphone and two acrylic templates for the front and back panels. 
The Full kit (199 USD) has the box with speaker, mounting hardware etc. Both are described on the website. 

Now, about the TFT display: 

For those who are using the 16x2 display and you would like to upgrade, you will have to do three things:
1. Add a heatsink to the 7805 of the raduino
3. Grab the new Arduino sketch from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Background : 
I have been hacking away at adding a TFT display for the Arduino for sometime. Finally, I managed to do this with a really inexpensive 2.8 inch TFT display that uses a controller called the ILI9341. The display update is slow but, clever guy that I am, the display very usable. it uses the same pins that earlier connected to the 16x2 LCD display. This display is available everywhere for a few dollars. 


Anthony Gomes
 

Thank you Farhan Sir.  Now we know what was brewing at HF Signals. I just completed my homebrewing of V5 ubitx from scratch, looks like time to go back to my bench again :)  I would love to come down to LARC meet but this year I have to give it a skip.

73
Anthony
VU3JVX


Ashhar Farhan
 

Anthony, you can easily upgrade to the tft display. It costs about Rs.600 from www.robu.ib


On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 12:47 PM Anthony Gomes, <vu3jvx@...> wrote:
Thank you Farhan Sir.  Now we know what was brewing at HF Signals. I just completed my homebrewing of V5 ubitx from scratch, looks like time to go back to my bench again :)  I would love to come down to LARC meet but this year I have to give it a skip.

73
Anthony
VU3JVX


Ashhar Farhan
 

Whoops, I meant www.robu.in (for indian buyers)

73, f

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:58 PM Ashhar Farhan via Groups.Io <farhanbox=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Anthony, you can easily upgrade to the tft display. It costs about Rs.600 from www.robu.ib

On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 12:47 PM Anthony Gomes, <vu3jvx@...> wrote:
Thank you Farhan Sir.  Now we know what was brewing at HF Signals. I just completed my homebrewing of V5 ubitx from scratch, looks like time to go back to my bench again :)  I would love to come down to LARC meet but this year I have to give it a skip.

73
Anthony
VU3JVX


Goran Skular
 

Thank you Farhan.
I just received and wired ubitx5.. and now ordered a new one :)

Looking forward.


On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, 07:56 Ashhar Farhan, <farhanbox@...> wrote:
People,

Here is what it looks like :
And of course, yoiu can buy it on hfsignals.com. The shipping will happen from Tuesday onwards. We have a limited supply of the first 200 boards. The rest is for after christmas.

The most important thing about this revision is that the  Radio circuitry is almost unchanged. We have incorporated the connectors on the PCBs. So, this kit needs none of the confusing soldering. You snap in the TFT Raduino onto the main board, plug the power and antenna from the back, snap on headphones, plug in the mic (supplied with the kit) and off you go!

It is offered in two kits now : The basic kit (150 USD) is without the box (like old times) but with a microphone and two acrylic templates for the front and back panels. 
The Full kit (199 USD) has the box with speaker, mounting hardware etc. Both are described on the website. 

Now, about the TFT display: 

For those who are using the 16x2 display and you would like to upgrade, you will have to do three things:
1. Add a heatsink to the 7805 of the raduino
3. Grab the new Arduino sketch from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Background : 
I have been hacking away at adding a TFT display for the Arduino for sometime. Finally, I managed to do this with a really inexpensive 2.8 inch TFT display that uses a controller called the ILI9341. The display update is slow but, clever guy that I am, the display very usable. it uses the same pins that earlier connected to the 16x2 LCD display. This display is available everywhere for a few dollars. 


Tom, wb6b
 

Impressive upgrade. Amazing you were able to squeeze this into the Nano processor. I'll try the upgrade to this new display on my older uBitx.

Tom, wb6b


Ashhar Farhan
 

To paraphrase Heathkit "We won't let you Solder''


On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 2:14 PM Tom, wb6b, <wb6b@...> wrote:
Impressive upgrade. Amazing you were able to squeeze this into the Nano processor. I'll try the upgrade to this new display on my older uBitx.

Tom, wb6b


Dale Hardin
 

I like the upgraded display.  I assume I will be able to upgrade my v5.  Will the new sketch allow boards earlier than v5 add the display?  Dale

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 3:11 AM Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
To paraphrase Heathkit "We won't let you Solder''


On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 2:14 PM Tom, wb6b, <wb6b@...> wrote:
Impressive upgrade. Amazing you were able to squeeze this into the Nano processor. I'll try the upgrade to this new display on my older uBitx.

Tom, wb6b



--
Dale Hardin
Elberta, AL 

--
Dale Hardin, KS4NS
Elberta, AL


Gerry Kavanagh
 

Nice work, Farhan.
You are tireless!


MONEYSMITH
 

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO ORDER A V6 WITH DHL SHIPPING TODAY. THE SITE WILL NOT LET ME DO THE DHL? ANY IDEAS.

I AM IN SALOME ARIZONA USA AND DHL WORKS HERE?

WILLIAM

On 12/12/2019 11:56 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
People,

Here is what it looks like :
And of course, yoiu can buy it on hfsignals.com. The shipping will happen from Tuesday onwards. We have a limited supply of the first 200 boards. The rest is for after christmas.

The most important thing about this revision is that the  Radio circuitry is almost unchanged. We have incorporated the connectors on the PCBs. So, this kit needs none of the confusing soldering. You snap in the TFT Raduino onto the main board, plug the power and antenna from the back, snap on headphones, plug in the mic (supplied with the kit) and off you go!

It is offered in two kits now : The basic kit (150 USD) is without the box (like old times) but with a microphone and two acrylic templates for the front and back panels. 
The Full kit (199 USD) has the box with speaker, mounting hardware etc. Both are described on the website. 

Now, about the TFT display: 

For those who are using the 16x2 display and you would like to upgrade, you will have to do three things:
1. Add a heatsink to the 7805 of the raduino
3. Grab the new Arduino sketch from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Background : 
I have been hacking away at adding a TFT display for the Arduino for sometime. Finally, I managed to do this with a really inexpensive 2.8 inch TFT display that uses a controller called the ILI9341. The display update is slow but, clever guy that I am, the display very usable. it uses the same pins that earlier connected to the 16x2 LCD display. This display is available everywhere for a few dollars. 


Buddy Brannan
 

Well….if nothing else, this upgrade should make it easier for a blind guy to build one of these :-)

Off to look at this update some more.


Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Dec 13, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Gerry Kavanagh via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Nice work, Farhan.
You are tireless!


Gordon Gibby
 

Excellent.   I sent photos to everyone (70) in our mailing list.   Looks like the version I want to get.   I am limited on time, repairing half dozen heathkit transceivers and working three amplifiers so having a CABINET and the nice display and everything done so nicely is extremely attractive to me.   I'll get one as soon as I can put together the $$ --- need to buy some 572-b's for the amplifiers. 

Gordon



On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM Buddy Brannan <buddy@...> wrote:
Well….if nothing else, this upgrade should make it easier for a blind guy to build one of these :-)

Off to look at this update some more.


Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962



> On Dec 13, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Gerry Kavanagh via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Farhan.
> You are tireless!
>





Ashhar Farhan
 

I have added a morse reader already. I shall finish integration to the user interface soon.
Ill check the dhl option tonight. Do pass on any typos and mistakes. I pulled an all nighter and wrapped it up at 4 am.


- f


On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 7:17 PM Gordon Gibby, <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:
Excellent.   I sent photos to everyone (70) in our mailing list.   Looks like the version I want to get.   I am limited on time, repairing half dozen heathkit transceivers and working three amplifiers so having a CABINET and the nice display and everything done so nicely is extremely attractive to me.   I'll get one as soon as I can put together the $$ --- need to buy some 572-b's for the amplifiers. 

Gordon



On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM Buddy Brannan <buddy@...> wrote:
Well….if nothing else, this upgrade should make it easier for a blind guy to build one of these :-)

Off to look at this update some more.


Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962



> On Dec 13, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Gerry Kavanagh via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Farhan.
> You are tireless!
>





Laurence Oberman
 

Worked for with DHL
Ordered full kit though

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019, 8:13 AM MONEYSMITH <w4nfr@...> wrote:

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO ORDER A V6 WITH DHL SHIPPING TODAY. THE SITE WILL NOT LET ME DO THE DHL? ANY IDEAS.

I AM IN SALOME ARIZONA USA AND DHL WORKS HERE?

WILLIAM

On 12/12/2019 11:56 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
People,

Here is what it looks like :
And of course, yoiu can buy it on hfsignals.com. The shipping will happen from Tuesday onwards. We have a limited supply of the first 200 boards. The rest is for after christmas.

The most important thing about this revision is that the  Radio circuitry is almost unchanged. We have incorporated the connectors on the PCBs. So, this kit needs none of the confusing soldering. You snap in the TFT Raduino onto the main board, plug the power and antenna from the back, snap on headphones, plug in the mic (supplied with the kit) and off you go!

It is offered in two kits now : The basic kit (150 USD) is without the box (like old times) but with a microphone and two acrylic templates for the front and back panels. 
The Full kit (199 USD) has the box with speaker, mounting hardware etc. Both are described on the website. 

Now, about the TFT display: 

For those who are using the 16x2 display and you would like to upgrade, you will have to do three things:
1. Add a heatsink to the 7805 of the raduino
3. Grab the new Arduino sketch from https://github.com/afarhan/ubitxv6

Background : 
I have been hacking away at adding a TFT display for the Arduino for sometime. Finally, I managed to do this with a really inexpensive 2.8 inch TFT display that uses a controller called the ILI9341. The display update is slow but, clever guy that I am, the display very usable. it uses the same pins that earlier connected to the 16x2 LCD display. This display is available everywhere for a few dollars. 


Mike WA0YCN
 

Ashhar, will the v5 board no longer be available?


KG5MG <kg5mg@...>
 

Is it possible to upgrade a V5 to the v6?  If so, what would be required?



Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...>
Date: 12/13/19 8:00 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] bitx v6 is here

I have added a morse reader already. I shall finish integration to the user interface soon.
Ill check the dhl option tonight. Do pass on any typos and mistakes. I pulled an all nighter and wrapped it up at 4 am.


- f

On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 7:17 PM Gordon Gibby, <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:
Excellent.   I sent photos to everyone (70) in our mailing list.   Looks like the version I want to get.   I am limited on time, repairing half dozen heathkit transceivers and working three amplifiers so having a CABINET and the nice display and everything done so nicely is extremely attractive to me.   I'll get one as soon as I can put together the $$ --- need to buy some 572-b's for the amplifiers. 

Gordon



On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM Buddy Brannan <buddy@...> wrote:
Well….if nothing else, this upgrade should make it easier for a blind guy to build one of these :-)

Off to look at this update some more.


Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962



> On Dec 13, 2019, at 8:00 AM, Gerry Kavanagh via Groups.Io <gerrykav=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Nice work, Farhan.
> You are tireless!
>





Jim Sheldon
 

Can't buy the basic kit for $150 US though, only the $199 "Full Kit" version available for sale on HF signals.  Either fix this or lose a lot of sales.

W0EB


clyde-alex@...
 

Looks good to me.
Ordered mine today.
Santa will be good to me this year.
--
73
clyde
kk4ywi


Alan de G1FXB
 

I thought similar, if following the dedicated V6 page.....
then found the hyperlinks

From the hfsignals home page
http://www.hfsignals.com/

there are the two pricing options shown each taking you to their own order page.

UBITX V6 – BUY THE BASIC KIT
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-basic-kit/


UBITX V6 – BUY THE FULL KIT
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6-buy-the-full-kit/


It feels a lot like Xmas!
Alan


On 13/12/2019 14:34, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Can't buy the basic kit for $150 US though, only the $199 "Full Kit" version available for sale on HF signals.  Either fix this or lose a lot of sales.

W0EB


-- 
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable


Ted
 

^  Yes, if the firmware will work in a V5 and give a CW reader, that would be pretty neat even if just during demonstrations or show & tell.