Topics

BITX40 First version (Through hole type) - Wiring Up diagram required

Praba Karan

I need wiring up diagram images of  BITX40 First version (Through hole type).
It was replaced with smd version in hfsigs website and i am unable to retrieve it from my pc.

Jerry Gaffke

I have no idea what an hfsigs first version, throughole type would be.
Perhaps I missed it.
Could you give a web link to something that describes the through-hole board you have?

First bitx version from 2004 is here:  http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html
and includes files for a throughole pcb at the bottom.
There have many many different kits over the years for throughole Bitx variants from various vendors.

I believe hfsigs started out selling the Bitx40 pretty much as it is now but with no Raduino board for the Si5351 VFO..
And that kits from hfsigs has always been surface mount.

If you mean you need the wireup diagram for the pre-Raduino (but surface mount) Bitx40,
that was posted to this forum early this year, somebody should be able to point it out to you.
Same as the current wireup diagram except that you must have L5 stuffed and not have
anything plugged into the nearby DDS1 connector.   L5 is the coil for the analog VFO.
C91 and C92 have been getting removed by some with the Raduino so it works well for USB,
those two caps must be present if using the analog VFO.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 06:06 pm, <vu3dxr@...> wrote:
I need wiring up diagram images of  BITX40 First version (Through hole type).
It was replaced with smd version in hfsigs website and i am unable to retrieve it from my pc.

Arv Evans

Jerry

Farhan first built his BITX-40 as a board-and-parts kit for a local Indian ham club.
I think that is the thru-hole version that is being discussed.  It was success of that
kit that probably caused him to embark on BITX-40 semi-kit boards as a product.

I looked back through my files but could not find a copy of the early BITX-40 design.
What I did find is an on-line reference which may have most of the information that
That reference even has a video of Farhan himself talking about the project.

Hope that helps.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
[...]

David Arthur

A board + bag of parts kit for bitx actually sounds kinda fun :)

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:28 PM Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
[...]

And....TA3CM even provided schematics and board layouts for the HF2014 BITX40.

https://bitxta3cm.blogspot.com/p/bitx.html

Arv
_._

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:
[...]

That could well be what the vu3dxr was asking about,
Though his question did suggest he had an hfsigs product,
and the kit of parts in your link was sold by Modern Electronics in Hyderabad.

Lots of Bitx variants out there!

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 07:27 pm, Arv Evans wrote:
Farhan first built his BITX-40 as a board-and-parts kit for a local Indian ham club.

MVS Sarma

After the Hamfest2014 pcb , Farhan made another  through hole pcb , double sided for bitx 40.
 we had  demo of that and few boards were tried by local andf other Indian hams too.

regards
Sarma

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 9:01 AM, David Arthur <mumrah@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all..
I asked this one..

http://www.hfsigs.com/wireup.html

--
D.Prabakaran
VU3DXR

Jerry Gaffke

You're in luck, here's two sources for a board plus a bag of parts:
    http://www.qrpkits.com/
    https://amateurradiokits.in/store/

There are other choices out there for Bitx derived kits too.
But far as I know, the assembled hfsigs Bitx40 beats all of them them on price.
And all other SSB transceiver kits as well.

I suppose you could buy the hfsigs kit and hit it with a hot air gun for a few minutes.

Jerry

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 07:31 pm, David Arthur wrote:
A board + bag of parts kit for bitx actually sounds kinda fun :)

Jerry Gaffke

Interesting.
I've been following this forum for about a year now, didn't realize hfsigs had produced that earlier board.
Here's the schematic:  http://www.hfsigs.com/circuit.html

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 08:01 pm, Praba Karan wrote:
Thanks for all..
I asked this one..

http://www.hfsigs.com/wireup.html

MVS Sarma

pRABHAKARAN SIR,
 iT MEANS THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE THE SAME DATA
aS the design did not chanage wrt smd
 the procedure for adopting raduino is same
 I hope you can well finish it this week end.
 All the best
 and regards
 sarma
 vu3zmv

regards
Sarma

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Praba Karan <vu3dxr@...> wrote:
Thanks for all..
I asked this one..

http://www.hfsigs.com/wireup.html

--
D.Prabakaran
VU3DXR

mitch prater

I would LOVE a through-hole pcb + bag of parts version of the latest uBITX (how I miss the old Heathkit days...)! Is there any possibility of such a thing? All I can find are sold-out kits of older versions.

mitch

Jack, W8TEE

Really, the large size (1206) SMD parts are not that bad to use even for a pair of 76 year old eyes, plus resistors and caps are really much less expensive than through-hole. You could also shrink the board size a bit, since Farhan made it oversized to allow for experimenting. If the Gerbers could be edited, I think there would be some interest in the board.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 12:45:45 PM EDT, mitch prater <mitchprater@...> wrote:

I would LOVE a through-hole pcb + bag of parts version of the latest uBITX (how I miss the old Heathkit days...)! Is there any possibility of such a thing? All I can find are sold-out kits of older versions.

mitch

Arv Evans

Mitch

I think that this is the last thru-hole kit of a BITX transceiver.  It should be possible to
add the Arduino, Si5351a, and LCD to one of these.

In earlier days of the BITX phenomena many of us built our own BITX transceivers
using ugly-construction methods.  This involves standing thru-hole style components
on-end above a sheet of non-etched PCB material.  You could do this and add the
Arduino, Si5351a, and display as a front-panel.  Should not be too difficult and would
allow you to test each section as it is finished.

Arv
_._

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM mitch prater <mitchprater@...> wrote:
I would LOVE a through-hole pcb + bag of parts version of the latest uBITX (how I miss the old Heathkit days...)! Is there any possibility of such a thing? All I can find are sold-out kits of older versions.

mitch

mitch prater

Thanks so much for the quick replies!

And thanks for the home-brew links. I'll read through those in the next couple of days. Ugly construction would be just as fun, so I'll probably go that route. I did notice there's a uBitx v5 - I presume I can find the schematic.
It's been a while, and I don't have any of my old (homemade) bench equipment any more; but I do like hand populating a PCB, so a kit would be ideal. However, as I said, I'll go with ugly construction assuming there's enough info on proper layout, etc. to give me a reasonable chance at ending up with something that works.

Thanks again - I'm so glad I stumbled onto the whole uBitx scene. I've been looking for a way to get back into amateur radio, and to start playing with micro-controllers. uBitx is perfect!

mitch

Wayne Leake

 Amateur radio kits for BITX units parts
 The parts are for a BITX20, but with modification can be for any band.
 They also sell some bare boards, through hole type.
  I have one that is for 40 meters, but I will be using it for a BITX20.
 Hope this is what you might want.
 neater by far than the manhattan style, and more compact.
 Though, using 2 boards, it takes a bigger cabinet than Farhans BITX40 and uBITX radios.
 Wayne WA2YNE