Topics

Taa-Daa

Jack, W8TEE

All:

Most of you are aware that Al (AC8GY) and I are working on a sequel to the Projects book titled Microcontroller Projects for Amateur Radio. We changed the title because we have not limited ourselves to the Arduino family of processors, but include the STM32F1, ESP32, and the Teensy 4.0 controllers. All can be (and, for the book, are) programmed in the Arduino IDE using C. Today, Al and I finished writing the narrative for the last chapter of the book.

We have signed with the ARRL to publish the book, and one reason for signing with them is that they had enough faith to sign a contract with us, but allow us to finish all of the projects before submitting the chapters. That way, Al and I could work in the absence of a publisher breathing down our necks. That's the good news. The bad news is that, despite us beating our Jan 1, 2020, deadline, they are putting the new License manual ahead of us in the production queue. (Boo !) I asked if it would be ready by FDIM and they said no. That was a huge disappointment, but it is what it is. I'm still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.

Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.

Jack, W8TEE
Al, AC8GY

two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
Inline image
Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
Inline image

All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at various voltages)
Inline image

30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
Inline image
Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
Inline image
Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation this year)
Inline image
Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming antennas)
Inline image
Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used in Field Day).

Inline image

--
Jack, W8TEE

Goran Skular

Perfect. Congratulations!

Why not include JackAl also?

BTW, I can't wait to order one.. or maybe wait for new teensy version :)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019, 19:39 Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io, <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark Hatch

Oh wow! Better get the JackAl done so I have room. What a great set of projects. Thank you!

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Jack, W8TEE

The problem with the new Teensy (T4) is that its small size forced some of the I/O pins to be moved to the bottom side of the board. That would entail a total redesign of the JackAl board because we use a lot of pins on it. Some of the JackAl functionality is separated out into projects in the new book. JackAl is probably more cost effective, since it combines that functionality into one board, plus add features we don't cover in the book.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 2:57:44 PM EST, Goran Skular <goran.skular@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Freeman

Very nice work.  I’m appreciative of your contributions that help us all to learn.

Warm regards,

Robert, NQ0T

Tom, wb6b

What a great bunch of new projects. Congratulations!

Authors always amaze me. Some can write more books in their lifetime than a person could read in theirs. In this case you have more projects in one book than I'd probably have time to build in years.

The projects look like they have found a good balance between being pure software projects and actual hands-on electronics construction. Providing both software and circuit theory education through building them.

Maybe the ARRL will up their data rate and publish you book a bit sooner. (We could hope.)

Tom, wb6b

Ashhar Farhan

Jack and Al,
What an fabulous body of work! I can see so many spin offs from these projects! Are there any parts of these projects that you could release online?
Congratulations and looking forward to reading it soon!
- f

On Fri 29 Nov, 2019, 12:09 AM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io, <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Man, I wish they would up their dates, too, but they say that the license manuals are a huge revenue source for them, so I guess I understand. Still, I plan to "pleasantly" badger them if I can!

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 5:26:57 PM EST, Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:

What a great bunch of new projects. Congratulations!

Authors always amaze me. Some can write more books in their lifetime than a person could read in theirs. In this case you have more projects in one book than I'd probably have time to build in years.

The projects look like they have found a good balance between being pure software projects and actual hands-on electronics construction. Providing both software and circuit theory education through building them.

Maybe the ARRL will up their data rate and publish you book a bit sooner. (We could hope.)

Tom, wb6b

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

Mornin' Jim:

Al and I have talked about this at length and, given what we read over the past 24 hours, I'm almost certain we will do SMD boards. I doubt we will do two versions of the boards and I also doubt that we will release the Gerber files. Al and I have invested 17 months and many 12 hour days working on the book and we know that our expected hourly wage will be somewhere around $0.50/hour. QRP Guys will be selling the boards at reasonable cost and it's one way that we might get some revenue from people who don't pay for the book. (My last two publishers agree that for every book I sell, 3 are ripped off through torrent sites.)

For those who may not have seen it, if you haven't tried working with SMD devices, I encourage you to spend $2 and buy a practice kit. This one is eBay 172645304752

Inline image

Our boards will use the 1206 sized SMD, which you can see their size in the above photo. I also think this video: How to Solder SMD Components!

is very good in showing what SMD are and how to solder them. As to the cost, a 2000 SMD resistor assortment with 50 values is less than $10. Caps are a little more expensive, but $10 still buys 320 pieces with about 16 different values. Electronic Parts Online Store - Tayda Electronics sells quantity 1 1206 resistors for $0.01 each and they are fairly fast

in shipping products as they have a warehouse in CO.

So, it's going to be SMD's. We'll know more about the costs when we start to get estimates on the boards, as their size will vary. We will also investigate boards with the SMD parts in place, which will leave only "large" pieces (e.g., IDC connectors, voltage regulators, etc.) left to do on the boards. That's a little riskier, since we have no idea which products will be the "most built". More on that much later.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 1:50:11 AM EST, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

Hello Jack.

Are you taking a poll?  You might actually make a Groups.io poll asking your question.  Yes,  I know, there will be lots of people that think they are participating in the poll by posting their comment and why they chose that particular thing but a poll would make it easier for you.

My vote is for smt pc boards but you might also consider making 2 versions, one through hole and the other as smt.  I know that would be more work but would appease both.  I am almost 71 years old and have no fear of smt (well, some fear anyway as I currently have a project -RadioBerry that uses a LFPGA144 Intel chip and a AD9866 QFN64 and no option to drag solder--and do not like drag soldering).  I well know that many parts are no longer available in through hole.  Many that are available are not stocked by DigiMouse or have a 10,000 minimum order (OK, usually 1000 but that is still more than most of us can afford--even if we had an outlet for the extra 999).  If we as a group start finding that projects are only available in smt versions then it might force us as a whole to embrace or at least try smt.  The other option would be to make the gerbers available (for the smt version) and tell us we can submit out orders to JLCSteeedPCBWay and request assembly (of the smt parts) and how to place that order since the smt parts would not normally be included in a board order but these outfits do assembly and preassembly...at a price.

I think if the various projects use SOCI8 chips that it would be easier for us old farts to figure out that it aint that bad!  I would not layout a board for the RadioBerry and its LFCSP144 (or whatever that 144 pin fpga is called) on a 5/8" square then we would all run in terror!

In summary, I vote for smt if both are not an option.  Even if it is an option I would still buy the smt version over the through hole because I know how hard it is getting to find many through hole parts.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 11/28/2019 1:41 PM, jjpurdum via Groups.Io wrote:
While they are editing the book, Al and I will be making PCB's for all but the most trivial of the projects. One thing we go back and forth about is whether to do the boards for through-hole or SMD parts. We both want to do SMD, but we also know a lot of people are afraid of SMD's. My feeling: If, at my age, I can work with SMD's, anyone can. Also, the cost is significantly lower, too. On the other hand, a lot of hams won't even try to use an SMD board. It's not going to be a major revenue source for us anyway, so we're wondering what people actually want. Manufacturing an SMD board is a little less expensive and, ceteris paribus, can be a little smaller. I would be interested in hearing what the group thinks on the matter.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, November 28, 2019, 2:03:37 PM EST, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

It all looks wonderful, Jack! I'm looking forward to a couple of those, but mostly the luggable double-double. I want to build one, and mount it so I can hoist it on a mast held by a drive-on mast mount in my van. That way, I can operate from the van out in the field, from parks and such, and not have to get out in the weather. I have lots of radios I can take (and usually do), but I need to get or build a reasonable amp that can run off power from the van easily and safely. Maybe a 50W. With the remote control, that loop looks like exactly what I need, along with some of the wires I can hang from the same mast (when I'm not using the loop, of course).

I repurposed an Acer Chromebook CB3-111 for field use. I replaced the ChromeOS with GalliumOS, a distro of Linux based on Xubuntu. It works great, and I just got JS8Call working on it this morning. I've got FLDigi and FLRig installed, Qtel, a very well done Echolink client, and some various and sundry other programs, like a flavor of NEC for antenna modeling (which I still need to learn how to use), and a decent logger. I can tether it to my phone via WiFi and get on the Internet, and access QRZ for lookups -- my battery selection was such that I can also power the phone, and once I get a cable built for it, the Chromebook as well. It'll streamline my field ops a lot, reducing what I need to carry to do some serious operating!

I can't wait for that book to come out! It looks great, and you and Al deserve some serious applause for it.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 1:44 PM jjpurdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

--
Jack, W8TEE

Dennis Beverage

What an achievement you guys have done.  Personally, I think you are making about the most important contribution to QRP radio that has come along since Farhan’s Bitx development.  Essentially, you will be providing QRP amatures with a complete guide book for development of all the tools/equipment needed for QRP shack development projects.  Enough to keep us all busy for a good while.  And, maybe, ARRL will see this as an important recruitment tool for newbies who simply cannot afford today’s retail transceiver products.  ARRL has announced a whole new on-line magazine aimed primarily at new members.

I will be purchasing your book and follow up products and encouraging others to do so as well to show our appreciation for the efforts of both of you.

Thanks for all you do for all of us.
--
Sodypop🤠
KJ6VGB

Jack, W8TEE

Thanks, Dennis...your comments are sincerely appreciated. We also know that there are some really bright people out there, both EE and software types, and we're hoping that they will get involved and improve/enhance the projects in the book. We see the book as a springboard for that kind of activity. Should be fun!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 11:28:10 AM EST, Dennis Beverage <sodypop@...> wrote:

[...]

Richard Spohn

OH MY YES! I AM A FAN AND A BUYER! No sweat on the wait, Jack, gives
me time to save $$ for parts! Will you be including sources for the
enclosures and graphics that you used for these prototypes? THANK YOU
and HAPPY HOLLANDAISE! 73 - Rich WB2GXM

On 11/28/19, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Guess you won't listen to me but I am totally into through-hole, I do
not like SMD at all. -- Rich WB2GXM

On 11/29/19, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

| | |

| |
How to Solder SMD Components!

In this video, I will show you how to solder SMD components using soldering
iron as well as using hot air. In la...

<@NG3P> wrote:

[...]

I appreciate and understand that, and I know you're not alone. There may be a way to make everyone happy. Al and I are checking an idea out...If it proves viable, we will report it.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, November 29, 2019, 3:21:28 PM EST, Richard Spohn <wb2gxm@...> wrote:

> [...]

> still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next
> year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.
>
>  Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep
> everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.
>
>  Jack, W8TEE Al, AC8GY
>
>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field

Gordon Gibby

Jack --

I may have some news, then, of interest to you.   Publishing a real, paperback book that you can hold in your hand (or have it electronically if one prefers) is not only cheap, it is FREE.   You may know this, but it sounded as if you might not.

For my particular interests, the ability to get books published at ZERO COST to myself -- nothing! -- and to be able to get copies to teach local people, groups with at very very low cost ($2.15-$2.50 ea) was the most important thing to me.   By using Amazon, I'm able to do ALL of that, and theyhandle all the distribution for me.  Done.   Plus, when I want to revise the book and update it, the process is very simple and generally only takes an email or message or two and the old book "retires" and it replaced on Amazon's shelves with the new book.   Cost is $0.

I must have 13 texts out there in paperback (and most of them Kindle as well) format -- and I have never spent a penney.   Of course, Amazon would love for me to do so in order to push them, but I never do.   I give away scores and scores of copies, and word gets around, and people benefit all over the nation, and occasinaly even over the world.

I have certainly done my part to put $ in the coffers of the ARRL -- bought a bunch of copies of their license manual and had sent to students in Haiti.   Unfotunately, they never were willing to study enough to take the test, which was discouraging.   But now that I'm looking at doing something in the schools here, those costs are somewhat daunting, even with the nice discount the ARRL offers registered instructors like me.    I may yet write an entry license  manual just to save $$$.

If you go to Amazon and enter Gordon L. Gibby you'll see a bunch of books on emerrgency commmunications, how to do HSEEP-compliant full scale exercises, and even books on how to build a sound-card type digital interface.   I don't do any formal advertizing at all --- and they still sell.   I have also done the pen-name route this way and with excellent results.   I am astonished, but I can check sales any day I wish and download spreadsheets, the whole bit.   I get to set the price MYSELF and I generally set it ridiculously LOW because my goal is to expand the teaching in the area of Emergency Communications.   Every Conference we hold in Florida, I have all the speakers write a chapter, and then I publish their chapters and get a copy of the text to all participants at the door.   That makes for a much higher quality teaching at the conference!

KINDLE DIRECT PUBLISHING.   I use Libre Office to create the texts, because it is free also.   Kindle handles both the paperbacks and the Kindle books for Amazon.   They prefer PDF upload to create the paperbacks, but they prefer .doc or .docx for the Kindle (odd, huh?) -- and it all works out as one would expect, given what little work I put into it.  For cheapness, I use only the color cover (you get that for free) and everything INSIDE is black and white to reduce costs.   But that generally works out fine for the area in which I'm publishing.   A noted anesthesiologist friend of mine was having delays and huge costs with academic publishers; I explained to him how to publish using Amazon and he had a book on the market about regional nerve blocks within I think 3 weeks, and sold 1200 copies **IN JAPAN** the first weekend.    He was as happy as he could be and told me I had changed everything and he would now publish a new book every month for a year.

Gordon

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 12:10 AM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next
> year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.
>
>  Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep
> everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.
>
>  Jack, W8TEE Al, AC8GY
>
>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field

Explanation;  That book, "Spying on WINLINK" was written and published in 3  days, expressly to let the Board of ARRL become aware that there is NO encryption in WINLINK.    It proposed methods to take the simple clever experiment detailed within the book, and expand to a REAL monitoring system.   Hundreds of pages of original research and studies and documentation have since flowed to the FCC, and manay many chapters need to be added to the text and a 2nd edition put out, which will likely happen when the FCC begins to make its rulings on 16-239 etc.    At that point, the book will become a real history of the horrible, and astonishing arguments that went on in hundreds of comments before the FCC in RM-11831 and 16-239.....

The book on Disaster ministry radio communications was written as an inexpensive way for me to have a training manual for volunteers here in faith-based ministries that needed hams to work with their myriad communications needs.    Not tied to any one group, it may benefit volunteers from multiple states.

The hardest part of writing these kinds of books is obviously the proofreading, and a ton of that has to go on.   Schematics get scan and imported just as photographs; photos go right in without any problem, but Kindle will complain at you if they are of low resolution.   You get to see "galley proofs" on your computer if you prefer that, of you can download a PDF of the galley proofs, or you can have them mail you a real, hold in your hand, galley proof book for under $3.

Author copies of texts (I use both the 9x6" size and the 8.5x11" size for various books; they have templates for any size you might want) are about $3/each when you factor in shipping, and I'll order  40-100 copies at a crack to handle local groups or conferences.   Those take 2-3 weeks, but a few copies (at ffull price) from Amazon are here in 2-3 days.    This was just SUCH an improvement over having something bound at Kinko's or handing out stapled zerox copies, that I never went back to those old ways of doing things.

I teach others how to do this to benefit their groups. Easy.

Gordon

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:58 AM Gordon Gibby via Groups.Io <docvacuumtubes=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next
> year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.
>
>  Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep
> everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.
>
>  Jack, W8TEE Al, AC8GY
>
>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field

MadRadioModder

Same story here.  Amazon is the only way ill publish now...

MRM

On Nov 30, 2019, at 4:58 AM, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

> [...]

> still hopeful it will be out before the end of the second quarter of next
> year. Still, we feel like a 15 month stone has been lifted off our backs.
>
>  Anyway, what follows are some photos of most of the projects. I'll keep
> everyone posted on publishing details when I know them.
>
>  Jack, W8TEE Al, AC8GY
>
>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field

<DisasterMinistryRadioCommunicationsHandbook.jpg>
<FinalCover.jpg>

--

…_. _._

Gordon Gibby

What’s the name there : how do I find out what you have published?

On Nov 30, 2019, at 06:56, MadRadioModder <madradiomodder@...> wrote:

> [...]

>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field
> Day).
>

>  --
>
>  -+-+-+-+-
>  Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

--
Jack, W8TEE

<DisasterMinistryRadioCommunicationsHandbook.jpg>

This is a list of the books I've published:

Microcontroller Projects for Amateur Radio, co-authored with Al Peter, (forthcoming, 2020).

Arduino Projects for Amateur Radio, co-authored with Dennis Kidder, McGraw-Hill, Nov, 2014.

Beginning C Programming for the Arduino, Nov., 2012, Apress. (Second edition released in July, 2015)

Beginning Object Oriented Programming with C#, Wrox Publishing, Oct, 2012.

C# 3.0, An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming, Wrox Publishing, April, 2008. (Translated into Chinese and Hindi.)

Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming Using C#, co-authored with Kyle Lutes and Alka Harriger, Thompson Course Technology, March, 2005.

Visual Basic .NET Primer Plus, Howard Sams, April, 2003. (Translated into Chinese, Korean, Polish)

Visual Basic 6 Super Bible, co-author, Howard Sams, April, 1999.

Accounting & Finance Developer’s Guide, Howard Sams, April, 1995.

Guide to C Programming, Ziff Davis Press, June, 1992 (Translated into 2 languages).

Quick C Programming, Howard Sams, Dec., 1990.

The First Book of Harvard Graphics, Howard Sams, March, 1990.

C Programmer's Toolkit, Que Corp., Sept., 1989, 2nd edition, Dec, 1991.

C Programming Guide, Que Corp., 1983. (Translated into 10 languages. New York Times Best Seller’s List, Technical Books, 1983), Third edition, Nov., 1988.

C Standard Library, co-authored with T. Leslie, Que Corp., Que Corp., 1987.

C Self Study Guide, Que Corp., 1985.

C Programmer's Library, co-authored with T. Leslie and A. Stegemoller. (Translatedinto three languages.) Que Corp., 1983.

CP/M Software Finder, (co-authored with D. Cobb and D. Summe), Que Corp., 1983.

Basic-80 and CP/M: A Programming Textbook. Macmillan Publishing, 1983.

Jack Purdum, W8TEE

On Saturday, November 30, 2019, 7:15:02 AM EST, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

> [...]

>  two channel DSP (there's a preprocessor project, too)
>    Signal generator, up to 30MHz.
>
>  All kinds of test functions (i.e., different wave forms at  various
> voltages)
>
>  30W mini DL with watt meter (almost fits in a shirt pocket)
>
>  Old computer PS redesigned for powering the projects.
>
>  Morse Code Tutor (the subject of my FDIM presentation  this year)
>
>  Antenna tuner with SWR display and scan function (very useful for trimming
> antennas)
>
>  Our Mag loop with remote controller (tested to 100' and used  in Field
> Day).
>

>  --
>
>  -+-+-+-+-
>  Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

--
Jack, W8TEE

<DisasterMinistryRadioCommunicationsHandbook.jpg>

Wow, jack, that is an impressive list!!!  Did you ever try the amazon route?
I was actually wondering what had been published by Mad Radio Modder, but thanks for that list!!  Lots of interesting things there.

Gordon