Topics

Pop mute

Ted Doell

Hi all

I have made up and installed version5, now all I hear is the relay clicks.

Photo of board attached.

Ted

ZL1BQA

Rajendran Mayilsamy

Hi Ted,,

Pl post the Version 5 circuit diagram..Your HB assembly nice construction...tnx n 73 de Raj ,VU2SMM

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Ted Doell <ted@...> wrote:
Hi all

I have made up and installed version5, now all I hear is the relay clicks.

Photo of board attached.

Ted

ZL1BQA

Ted Doell

This is the version I used. I see when I have another look it is version3 anyway it seems to work for me. circuit as below.

I added at the junction of the 1k resistor and the emiter of the 2N3906 a 22mf Tantalm and a 103 ceramic capacitor and feed the 12v via a 100ohm resistor.

Ted

On 18/08/17 6:37 PM, Rajendran Mayilsamy wrote:
Hi Ted,,

Pl post the Version 5 circuit diagram..Your HB assembly nice construction...tnx n 73 de Raj ,VU2SMM

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Ted Doell <ted@...> wrote:
Hi all

I have made up and installed version5, now all I hear is the relay clicks.

Photo of board attached.

Ted

ZL1BQA

Dexter N Muir

Hi Ted and all ... back from having my tea ... that V3 circuit is my choice, *BUT* connect to pin 3 (across the input instead of pin 7. Pops all gone, PTT press *and* release!
73 ...

Dexter N Muir

p.s. no extra bits really needed for my unit, transistors just what was to hand (scrapped from a PC PSU). If Ted has put in extra caps it would likely be to keep it muting a few milliseconds after PTT release - right, Ted?
73 ...

1practical.man

Could you post a drawing please?

On Aug 18, 2017, at 03:08, Ted Doell <ted@...> wrote:

This is the version I used. I see when I have another look it is version3 anyway it seems to work for me. circuit as below.

<nkpnlcmibkchkphb.png>

I added at the junction of the 1k resistor and the emiter of the 2N3906 a 22mf Tantalm and a 103 ceramic capacitor and feed the 12v via a 100ohm resistor.

Ted

On 18/08/17 6:37 PM, Rajendran Mayilsamy wrote:
Hi Ted,,

Pl post the Version 5 circuit diagram..Your HB assembly nice construction...tnx n 73 de Raj ,VU2SMM

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Ted Doell <ted@...> wrote:
Hi all

I have made up and installed version5, now all I hear is the relay clicks.

Photo of board attached.

Ted

ZL1BQA

Fred

bitx 40 Liner Amp Key.jpg

Here is my solution to the PTT Mute and the addition of a Linear Amp keying circuit.

I just dead bugged the H11AV1 Opto coupler on top of the LM386 to make the connections as short as possible.

Any Opto coupler with an NPN transistor should work, I just had a slug of these GE H11Av1’s in my junk box.

Good Luck…see you on 40. KC5RT Fred.

This is the version I used. I see when I have another look it is version3 anyway it seems to work for me. circuit as below.

I added at the junction of the 1k resistor and the emiter of the 2N3906 a 22mf Tantalm and a 103 ceramic capacitor and feed the 12v via a 100ohm resistor.

Ted

On 18/08/17 6:37 PM, Rajendran Mayilsamy wrote:

Hi Ted,,

Pl post the Version 5 circuit diagram..Your HB assembly nice construction...tnx n 73 de Raj ,VU2SMM

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Ted Doell <ted@...> wrote:

Hi all

I have made up and installed version5, now all I hear is the relay clicks.

Photo of board attached.

Ted

ZL1BQA

Dexter N Muir

Do
you
need
word
per
line
explain
things?
On a less sarcastic note, do you have the ability to print out a picture? If so, there's a perfectly clear one in post#31512 from my compatriot Ted. It's from Giancarlo, who used his 'nut' to design it. The only difference I made was to take the connection from pin 7 and put it to pin 3. This is the 'audio in' to U1 in Farhan's original circuit. Make connections there as close and direct as possible - some have experience instability otherwise. Fred's solution in post#31517 is far more elegant and a whole bunch easier - *if* you find or can procure an opto-coupler. I'm lucky - The PC PSU I scrapped that provided the bits for my implementation of Ted's circuit also provided one! :) I'm not at home 'til Monday, so will be trying that, though I'd venture pin 3 rather than pin 1 - pin 2 is adjacent and to earth. Looks like you can put as many optos as you like in series there to drive anything else you want to ... like maybe antenna switching if you've done multi-band mods? Good t'inkin' Fred! (Oirish accent) :)

Dexter N Muir

p.s. most of the development of this was done in the thread of post#30470, and seemed fixated on tying either pin 7 or pin 8 to 0V or +12. I put my rationale for taking pin 3 to 0V in there - why on earth are people persisting with anything else?
73 de ZL2DEX ...

John, AD0RW proposed exactly that (grounding PIN 3) back on April 30 with his “Simple Audio Muting Circuit”  (message # 25870) that grounds PIN 3 of the LM386, triggered by PTT and holds it after PTT release
using a 0.1 uF Cap and a 430K resistor.  This is what I am currently using and it works quite well except I do need to tweak the resistance so that the mute holds a little longer
as I am still getting a bit of POP on the TX -> RX transition.

Michael VE3WMB

>From:
Dexter N Muir
>Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 16:41:53 EDT

>p.s. most of the development of this was done in the thread of post#30470, and seemed fixated on tying either pin 7 or pin 8 to 0V or +12. I put my rationale for taking pin 3 to 0V in there - why on earth are people persisting with >anything else?
>73 de ZL2DEX ...

Dexter N Muir

Thanks for the background, Michael. I came in later having just gotten my kit active and encountering the need.
73 ...

Dexter N Muir

Another p.s.: John's implementation allows for the CW sidetone - excellent! I don't operate CW so I don't need that, but should I get bitten by the 'bug' I most likely will put that in.
73 agn de ZL2DEX (I use the CW abbreviations so I know at least some of the 'jargon') :)

Ted Doell

For those who have asked, circuit with my additions attached.

Ted

On 18/08/17 11:53 PM, 1practical.man wrote:
[...]

I don't know why you found the need to filter that supply. I derived mine from the V+ end of R101 (adjacent to the DDS connector) and had no troubles. Mind you, I had also 'super-cap' filtered the pre-amp's supply to kill the 'tuning clicks'. I think I had quoted my other change as from pin 7 to pin 3 - try the NPN's Collector to pin 3 rather than pin 1 - and while trying that it might be worthwhile trying to allow for CW sidetone - NPN collector to M1 (scrape a bit of resist off the track from C115?), 1k res M1 to M2 (easy enough under the board at the relay?), sidetone via resistor to M2 or U1.3. As in the Cheezels ad, "gotta be worth a crack, Nigel"?
73, Dex

Ted Doell

Just good practice, I have also done this to the Raduino power feed.

Ted