Topics

BITX QSO Night, Sunday, July 16, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

KC8WBK

BITX QSO Night, Sunday, July 16, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

Join us as we make contacts from BITX40 to BITX40 on 7.277 MHz in 40 meters!

To participate, call CQ BITX at 7pm sharp, your local time, on Sunday. Call off and on for about 15 minutes. It is helpful if you call CQ BITX with your name and location.  Repeat your call a number of times if conditions are weak.

This is a worldwide event at 7pm in each time zone.  You may participate in any time zone, regardless of your location, so you may wish to call in at 6pm, 7pm and 8pm, your local time, to contact hams in adjacent time zones.

The backup frequency in case of QSB or other noise is 7210 kHz.

Report your QSO's, discuss propagation, noise, signal reports, audio reports, antenna type, etc. in this thread.

This is an undirected, scheduled event.  The BITX QSO Night relies on you to call CQ BITX to initiate contacts with other stations, so warm up that final and transmit a few calls at 7pm on Sunday.  Talk to you then!

KC8WBK

Sorry, posted with the wrong date!  This Sunday, July 9 and every Sunday is BITX QSO night.

KC8WBK

Some recommendations which I have learned from listening to experienced QRP operators:

Repeat your call sign often.  Twice per call is not too much.  During a CQ, three or more times is good.  I have often heard a partial call sign and wished the operator had repeated the call sign so I could complete it.  Weak signals tend to fade in and out of the noise, so spacing the spoken call sign statements over time may help.

As the first matter of business, verify that you have the correct call sign, and that the other operator has your call sign correct.

Repeat what you hear from the other station in your response.  Things to repeat include:

Callsign (both sides)
Name
Location
Signal reports, yours and theirs
Rig
Power output

There may be others listening who can only partially copy the other station.  This helps other receiving stations to know who they are listening to, how far away, how much power, etc.

Andrew Krause

Very good advice. Band conditions on 40m last Sunday were crazy, and I heard a lot of painful conversations where people were just trying nail down the callsign. Other problems included poor enunciation, not using the correct words for the phonetic alphabet, and talking entirely too fast for your signal condition. Good operation used to be a point of pride for HAMs, and I don't hear that as much these days.

Just... pretend you're a BBC announcer calling in an airstrike.

--

Andrew Krause
General Class Amateur Radio License: KM4ZJO

KC8WBK

Tonight is the night.

I will be calling and listening for as long as I can stay awake.

Should be on as well 7pm est on.

John P

I can hear KB8WBK
--
John - WA2FZW

Andrew Kasurak

I'm calling now from ottawa

RCC WB5YYM

Hearing W4JLE, Fred on forty-9er receiver
also KC8WBK

Vince Vielhaber

So am I, like gangbusters!

Vince.

On 07/16/2017 07:16 PM, RCC WB5YYM wrote:
Hearing W4JLE, Fred on forty-9er receiver
also KC8WBK

RCC WB5YYM

Hearing KC8WBK calling CQ. Very strong in AR. Wonder how much power?

John P

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 04:26 pm, RCC WB5YYM wrote:
Wonder how much power?
He's running 40 watts. Had half a contact with him and could hear W4JLE really strong also.

--
John - WA2FZW

7.274 cq anyone? got Bruce, KC1FSZ

Andrew Kasurak

I can hear you N8DAH, but you can't seem to hear me back

Nope nothing heard. I am running about 50W with my hardrock just to get out. My bitx is only getting about 3-4w out barefoot

RCC WB5YYM

N8DAH sounds good on 7.274 a little qsb, but not bad.

KC8WBK

Wa2fzw, you were just above the noise, but seemed to fade out.  How was my signal on your end?

Some noise appeared at 7:38pm.  Can't hear much at the moment.

Ion Petroianu, VA3NOI

Just finished first But to BITX QSO with Bruce KC1FSZ.
Very bad conditions at my QTH. Lots of QRN.
--
Ion

VA3NOI

Tom VE3THR

LIGHTNING AGAIN TONIGHT! seems every sun night ... managed to work KI4PSR David, KC1FSZ Bruce and W4JLE before he bailed due to wx. Still listening and calling on 7.277

John P

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 04:49 pm, KC8WBK wrote:
Wa2fzw, you were just above the noise, but seemed to fade out.  How was my signal on your end?
You were about 4x4, but signal was up and down. Running barefoot 5 or 6 watts here with a hamstick dipole in the attic. You're pretty much off the end of it to boot! Making progress on a mag loop. Maybe another couple of weeks for that.

--
John - WA2FZW