Topics

Antenna selection

davetelling .

What kind of antenna are you all using? I have an off-center fed (OCF) 40m dipole, with the feed point up about 25 ft, and the ends slightly lower. I was finally able to make contact with a net yesterday, but only one station could hear me, and it was about 500 miles south of me. I am thinking that the low height of my antenna is resulting in a fairly high radiation angle. Have others had better success with verticals, or some other antenna configuration?

Mark

Hi I'm using a 1/4 wave vertical ground mounted with two radials.

Having contact about 1.500 miles away when conditions are good.

Jonathan Peakall

Regular old dipole here, cut for 160 meters and a tuner to get it to load on 40.  Making contacts all over the place. Band conditions is the key and around me 40 has been pretty dead the last couple of weeks. In fact this last week I didn't even bother putting the bitx on the air, just been tinkering with it.

On 4/11/2017 8:06 AM, davetelling . wrote:

What kind of antenna are you all using? I have an off-center fed (OCF) 40m dipole, with the feed point up about 25 ft, and the ends slightly lower. I was finally able to make contact with a net yesterday, but only one station could hear me, and it was about 500 miles south of me. I am thinking that the low height of my antenna is resulting in a fairly high radiation angle. Have others had better success with verticals, or some other antenna configuration?

Frank Dinger , EI7KS

Vertical antennas are good for low angle radiation and hence DX,but pick-up noise when in  built-up areas . So vertical antennas are great for rural country side areas.
Although  having a  gain lower than  a dipole ,a magnetic loop antenna is right for built-up areas since it favours magnetic field radiation ,not electric field radiation ,the latter being the main source of local noise such as from switch mode PSUs ,etc

Frank , GM0CSZ / KN6WH       in IO87AT

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM, davetelling . <davetelling@...> wrote:

What kind of antenna are you all using? I have an off-center fed (OCF) 40m dipole, with the feed point up about 25 ft, and the ends slightly lower. I was finally able to make contact with a net yesterday, but only one station could hear me, and it was about 500 miles south of me. I am thinking that the low height of my antenna is resulting in a fairly high radiation angle. Have others had better success with verticals, or some other antenna configuration?

Simon Thompson <simonthompson67@...>

I am using a full wave 160 meter loop, fed by balanced line into a balun, then coax into the antenna match, and into the radio.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 9:10 AM Frank Dinger ,GM0CSZ <gm0csz@...> wrote:
[...]

Marc Jones

A two element wire Yagi, at almost a 1/4 wave up , It's a bit low but it's the best I can do here , It's  Beaming towards Europe from here in  Wales ..

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 16:07, davetelling .
<davetelling@...> wrote:

What kind of antenna are you all using? I have an off-center fed (OCF) 40m dipole, with the feed point up about 25 ft, and the ends slightly lower. I was finally able to make contact with a net yesterday, but only one station could hear me, and it was about 500 miles south of me. I am thinking that the low height of my antenna is resulting in a fairly high radiation angle. Have others had better success with verticals, or some other antenna configuration?

Allard PE1NWL

On Tue, April 11, 2017 18:52, Marc Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
It's Beaming towards Europe from here in Wales ..
So, what direction is that? E? W? N? S?

;=)

73, Allard PE1NWL

DJ2AG

Good question, considering where Wales is located  ;-)

Ashhar Farhan

I use a 51 feet (25'5" each side)  with 50 feet or open wire feeder. i use a balanced balanced antenna tuner.

- f

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:08 PM, DJ2AG <ya_duck@...> wrote:

Good question, considering where Wales is located  ;-)

John Smith

I had a NVIS inverted vee trimmed and tuned for the CW portion. After getting the BITX40, I was gifted an G5RV jr. but with it's SWR on 40M and the attenuation of my tuner kit. I made another inverted vee dipole with thicker 12 AWG stranded copper wire, coax coil choke balun. SWR is 1.2:1 in the center of the band, and 1.5:1 at the extreme edges of the band, and no tuner needed. ~45 foot RG8X cable run. It is still NVIS with 18 foot apex, and 8 foot high ends. I works great around most of the country. Especially towards the south. The mast is attached to the edge of my roof. And it has a sheetmetal underlayment that seems to act like a ground reflector. I don't get much action to the north. It's on the list of improvements.

Marc Jones

And there's me thinking radio Hams were intelligent people .. ;-)

quote =======
I am using a full wave 160 meter loop, fed by balanced line into a balun, then coax into the antenna match, and into the radio.
unquote =====

Simon , What type /impedance ratio balun do you use for your full wave
160 m loop ?

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Simon Thompson <simonthompson67@...> wrote:
[...]

You can always try to work your neighbour via long path of course! hihi.
73, Allard PE1NWL

On Tue, April 11, 2017 21:10, Marc Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
And there's me thinking radio Hams were intelligent people .. ;-)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 18:09, Allard PE1NWL<@pe1nwl> wrote:
On Tue, April 11, 2017 18:52, Marc Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
It's Beaming towards Europe from here in Wales ..
So, what direction is that? E? W? N? S?

;=)

73, Allard PE1NWL

Marc Jones

A  Bit  of Jealousy there by the seems of it Allard ... Ha

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 20:39, Allard PE1NWL
<pe1nwl@...> wrote:
You can always try to work your neighbour via long path of course! hihi.
73, Allard PE1NWL

On Tue, April 11, 2017 21:10, Marc Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
> And there's me thinking radio Hams were intelligent people .. ;-)
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>  On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 at 18:09, Allard PE1NWL<pe1nwl@...> wrote:
> On Tue, April 11, 2017 18:52, Marc Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
>> It's Beaming towards Europe from here in Wales ..
>
> So, what direction is that? E? W? N? S?
>
> ;=)
>
> 73, Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

Yes I am jealous Marc!

Unfortunately I have very limited space (small backyard), 'difficult' neighbours and lots of surrounding obstacles. So the best I can do here is a stealthy magloop antenna only 1m above the ground. This very compact, low noise antenna gives remarkable results! With the 6 Watts from the BITX I can work all Europe (short path though, hi).

But if I had more space I'd certainly build a larger antenna, perhaps similar to what you have.

73 Allard PE1NWL

John Smith

I just thought I should double check those numbers before some of the people so closely attached to me question the performance. At this moment I have 2:1 SWR on 7.000, and 1:8 SWR on 7.300. And measured with my CW transceiver. I have seen similar with the BITX40. Haven't built my Arduino Antenna Analyzer YET.

I thought 1.5:1 was too good. Old guy memory.

bill

I have two antennas, an end-fed modeled on the W3EDP (87'long, including the feedline and worked against an 17' counterpoise) and a 132' doublet, fed with 45' of 450 ohm window line. The doublet is bent into a U and is 68' long along the top.  One antenna is east-west, the other north-south oriented. I use a Johnson matchbox, a linked coupled tuner. Both work well for 80m to 20m and okay to 6m.  Neither is more than 35' above ground, so they aren't good DX SSB antennas. but I've worked stations in Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica and Russia with JT65 or PSK31 and 5W on both.

Farhan, I really like your balanced tuner design. It does beg for an Arduino and some relays, doesn't it? Now I have one on my ever growing must-build list, right after the ubitx! And the article you refer to in your post is one of my favorite on balanced tuners.  73 de bill

kd2akc

Using an inverted L with coupler at base and hodgpodge radial field have worked the 1k km a watt threshold on 40 at 6w out with the bitx. Not busting pileups but can pick off the peple calling cq pretty easy.

College Professor Simon Thompson <nwccenglishprofessor@...>

If I recall correctly, it is 4:1, but I put it up a few years ago, and I am not certain. I can investigate more, if you like.

On Apr 11, 2017, at 12:23 PM, Frank Dinger ,GM0CSZ <gm0csz@...> wrote:

quote =======
[...]

KC3EJC-Shawn <KC3EJC@...>

Which loop are you using Allard?