Topics

Baofeng microphone mod for BITX

nemfield <nemfield@...>

Hi;
The paragraph description on modifying the Beofeng mic connections to the uBITX is vague. Can a schematic please posted a schematic diagram as to how the mods actually are done. 'Thank you '73 

KE0GYC

This was a really useful post.  The diagrams I was looking at seemed to have the common ground attached to the sleeve of the 2.5mm jack, and my PTT was stuck on until I figured it out!

Evan Seligmann

Can I use a Dynamic microphone?

Attach one wire to the ground then and then attach the two grounds to that wire so its less of a hassle connecting both at the jack

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Cesar
Sent: June 8, 2017 4:31 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Baofeng microphone mod for BITX

it is same ground. I have troble with the jack connector...

thanks

-- 
Regards,
73's
Evan Seligmann
ZS6ELI
Cell: +27 83 460 7100

*MY HOBBY IS AMATEUR RADIO - ASK ME ABOUT IT

Proud Member of:
South African Radio League - www.sarl.org.za
Pretoria Amateur Radio Club- www.parc.org.za
American Radio Relay League - www.arrl.org

Joe Puma

Attach one wire to the ground then and then attach the two grounds to that wire so its less of a hassle connecting both at the jack

Sent: June 8, 2017 4:31 AM

thanks

César EA3IAV

thanks

Joe Puma

Do a test on ptt ground and mic ground..see if its same ground is my guess.

Sent: June 7, 2017 10:37 AM

So if you have 4 wires how do you put that to a 3 pin male jack?
do you share mic and ptt ground wires? Is this gonna work?

thank you

César EA3IAV

My problems are due to bad connections. Baofeng uses very poor quality wires and i can see copper trhough plastic!! I have to rewire it. It is going to work i guess as i have checked that ground is the same for mic a ptt on the pcb

ttanks

DJ4MU

So if you have 4 wires how do you put that to a 3 pin male jack? do you share mic and ptt ground wires? Is this gonna work?

you have 6 connectors in total on the 2 stereo plugs but only 4 wires going into the Baofeng mic from those connectors.

They all share one common ground on the 2.5mm plugs tip.

this works for me but i'm not sure if it's responsible for the noise problem i have at the moment .

so connections are:
3.5mm:
Tip - NC
Ring - Mic -red
Sleeve - PTT - black

2.5mm:
Tip - common ground (spkr/mic/PTT) -white
Ring - NC
Sleeve -SPKR - green

hope that clarifies it.

César EA3IAV

I sharee ground for mic a ptt but it did not work: i heard relais working but it did not mute rx sound....

César EA3IAV

So if you have 4 wires how do you put that to a 3 pin male jack?
do you share mic and ptt ground wires? Is this gonna work?

thank you

DJ4MU

After taking apart the Baofeng mic i came to the following conclusion:

3.5mm Tip - NC Ring - Mic -red Sleeve - PTT - black 2.5mm: Tip - ground -white Ring - NC Sleeve -SPKR - green

There's a LED with 1K resistor connected between PTT+ and Mic+ which i have removed to be sure. So what would contradict tying the ground leads in the BitX together and using this mic like any other 4-wire mic - or does it have to be a 6wire Design?

Joe Puma

It showing you where the push to talk connections are which is basically the grounds of both mic and speaker connections that are connected together when you press the push to talk. So yeah basically pressing the push to talk will combine the mic ground and speaker ground. I am not sure if that will cause conflict in the radio. 

Sent from my iPhone

On May 28, 2017, at 5:09 AM, DJ4MU <pbepler@...> wrote:

Despite the posted diagram i'm still not sure how to wire up the unmodified Baofeng mic to the Bitx.

the speaker connections seem obvious, with ground on the sleeve of 2.5mm and other speaker connection to tip.

the mic + connection seems fairly obvious too , on the ring of the 3.5mm.

But where are the mic - and PTT wires from the Bitx connected, and do they all use the same ground?

Which Bitx wire connects to the tip of the 3.5mm (v+) ?

<Bao_plug_Bitx.jpg>

DJ4MU, and All, 

While I didn’t try too awful hard to figure out how to make my Baofeng work UN-modified, I was not having much luck, so having a handful of these on hand, I just opened one up, disconnected the speaker, cut traces, removed SMD devices and made sure the PTT and the MIC wiring and traces went only to the devices and indicated pins, while retaining only the shortest possible runs.  I also made sure my jacks were mounted to plastic and not grounded to a metal chassis.  I also drilled out the tiny hole in front of the mic element. 

I used two Radio Shack square panel jacks to plug mic plug into.  If you turn the flat sides against each other that are 180 degrees away from the solder rings on the jacks, then the mic plug will slide into place perfectly.

So, while my mic is not interchangeable any more with my Baofeng HT, I sure don’t care, as it fits my description of a junk box find @ under $5. And the jacks are part of my multi hundred part cleanup of multiple Radio Shacks.
Below is my prototyping set up.

KM4YEC
Craig

On May 28, 2017, at 5:09 AM, DJ4MU <pbepler@...> wrote:

Despite the posted diagram i'm still not sure how to wire up the unmodified Baofeng mic to the Bitx.

the speaker connections seem obvious, with ground on the sleeve of 2.5mm and other speaker connection to tip.

But where are the mic - and PTT wires from the Bitx connected, and do they all use the same ground?

<Bao_plug_Bitx.jpg>

DJ4MU

amer1337@...

I tried using the baofeng electret mic, jumping leads to go right to the consensor so the ptt and mic dont share the same ground and if i whistle into the mic it puts power out but not while talking.

Brian D. K2BRZ

Mic and switch are working fine, just need to hang the antenna and I'll be good to go!

Brian

K2BRZ

Craig Wadsworth <cwadsworth@...>

Andrew,
Thanks for sharing the nice graphic.
I have several Baofeng speaker / mics and headsets. This will help.
Regards,
Craig

Craig Wadsworth, ATP, RET, PE
Illinois Assistive Technology Program

College Professor Simon Thompson <nwccenglishprofessor@...>

I literally wrote the connections down on the back of an envelope. I will open up my radio and figure out what I did.

On Apr 17, 2017, at 9:33 PM, College Professor Simon Thompson <nwccenglishprofessor@...> wrote:

I made the connections from the BitxX40 to the Baofeng microphone without any modifications. It works perfectly, and I don’t know why anyone would go to the trouble of rewiring the mic if it weren’t a sheerly technical exercise.

I can provide a sense of the connections, but I suspect the wire colours are different for each batch of Baofeng pics.
On Apr 17, 2017, at 6:59 AM, kd2iog@... wrote:

Just assembled my kit and am having trouble with my Baofeng mic, this is perfect. Thanks for posting!

Just have to fix a minor wiring slip up for the raduino and put the antenna up and I should be okay.

Brian

K2BRZ

College Professor Simon Thompson <nwccenglishprofessor@...>

I made the connections from the BitxX40 to the Baofeng microphone without any modifications. It works perfectly, and I don’t know why anyone would go to the trouble of rewiring the mic if it weren’t a sheerly technical exercise.

I can provide a sense of the connections, but I suspect the wire colours are different for each batch of Baofeng pics.

On Apr 17, 2017, at 6:59 AM, kd2iog@... wrote:

Just assembled my kit and am having trouble with my Baofeng mic, this is perfect. Thanks for posting!

Just have to fix a minor wiring slip up for the raduino and put the antenna up and I should be okay.

Brian

K2BRZ

Andrew Mason

Hi,

I am also using a Baofeng microphone on my BITX40, it is the microphone designed for the UV5R that I also have.  

I use the microphone "as is" - not modified. This way I can use the microphone on both radios :-)

I am a little confused as to why there is a need to re-wire the Baofeng microphone ???  

It is just a matter of making the right connections back to the BITX40 cables that are supplied with the BITX40 kit.

The standard insert with the Baofeng microphone is fine, and sounds great.  The wiring diagram showing how the cables need to be connected is attached below.

Image result for baofeng microphone pinout

Andrew

VK4JAM