Topics

Ubitx and raspberry all in one. Digital mode FT8 - IK1ZVJ. #ft8

felicebia@...

The project stems from my passion for digital modes. The union between ubitx and raspberry works well. The LCD screen is mounted on an old CD mechanism so as to obtain automatic ejection. The project includes a dual power supply with a built-in power supply and battery power for portable use. the commutations foresee the functioning only of the ubitx, only raspberry, together to use the digital modes. On the raspberry WSIT-x are loaded for FT8 and FT4 and FLDIGI for PSK and RTTY.

The enclure is a rack 3U (9 cmx40cmx43cm).

Video on Youtube at the link:

https://youtu.be/TlndGOyNtVc

For info:

felicebia at  gmail dot com

Ham call: IK1ZVJ Felice info qrz dot com

Ken Hansen

That's awesome.

I just picked up a 'like new' Collins power supply cabinet for a KWM-2 series radio at a hamfest. I am thinking seriously about a similar build, with a uBitx mounted inside, but hadn't thought about putting a raspberry pi in there also... interesting idea.

The case looks like this, but there is no speaker installed:

On Oct 12, 2019, at 11:04, felicebia@... wrote:

The project stems from my passion for digital modes. The union between ubitx and raspberry works well. The LCD screen is mounted on an old CD mechanism so as to obtain automatic ejection. The project includes a dual power supply with a built-in power supply and battery power for portable use. the commutations foresee the functioning only of the ubitx, only raspberry, together to use the digital modes. On the raspberry WSIT-x are loaded for FT8 and FT4 and FLDIGI for PSK and RTTY.

The enclure is a rack 3U (9 cmx40cmx43cm).

Video on Youtube at the link:

https://youtu.be/TlndGOyNtVc

For info:

felicebia at  gmail dot com

Ham call: IK1ZVJ Felice info qrz dot com

<pannello con LCD.jpg>
<lavoro terminato.jpg>
<pannello scritta.jpg>
<meccanica cd ribaltata.jpg>
<inizio assemblaggio.jpg>

Ashhar Farhan

I had previewed a raspberry pi board for hf radios with a high end codec at the fdim. This is for a new radio that i am building to push the limits of what my homelab capability can produce.
Pictures are attached.
There story so far is that there is a very low noise 24 bit codec on a custom board that plugs into the raspberry pi. The display is a 7inch capacitive touch screen.
The radio is a single conversion, very low distortion superhet without any amplification before the crystal filter and triple tuned filters for each band. Nothing is casual about this radio. Even the power supply had to be included to have low noise rating.

On Sat 12 Oct, 2019, 11:26 PM Ken Hansen, <ken@...> wrote:
That's awesome.

I just picked up a 'like new' Collins power supply cabinet for a KWM-2 series radio at a hamfest. I am thinking seriously about a similar build, with a uBitx mounted inside, but hadn't thought about putting a raspberry pi in there also... interesting idea.

The case looks like this, but there is no speaker installed:

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/312b3a.html

Ken, N2VIP

[...]

GM4CID

 Ken Hansen,

Please don't butcher the Collins cabinet, it would be very sought after and cherished by a Collins collector.

73, Bob GM4CID

Ken Hansen

Yes and no.

It sat on the table at the recent Belton Hamfest in Texas for two days before I bought it.

Considering what I paid for it ($70), it wasn't cheap, but it also wasn't snapped up by Collins collectors. It's a nice shell with nothing inside it, nothing more - it's not a sacred relic, and it's an easily obtainable item in the collector world.

(My view of the Collins market is obviously skewed by my proximity to Collin's Richardson facility and the number of friends that are former Collins employees, much like I suspect the used Drake market is around Dayton, Ohio.)

Ken, N2VIP