Topics

Collection of knowledge about CEC firmware? #firmware

riz-qcx@...

I have a v5 µBITX that I've been fiddling around with for a while, and it looks like just about all the stuff I'm interested in being able to do with it will be better-enabled with the CEC firmware.  So, I got v1.200 and built it (I still have the stock parallel display) because I could not for the life of me make any of the hex loaders work - but was able to build and load it using the Arduino IDE.

So far, so good.  There are a number of issues with it that I expect will all get worked out eventually (for example, the CW filters make a CW signal barely audible - I've seen allusions to that issue on this board, and to there being settings which help, but I have been unable to find those settings.

I also just grabbed the uBITX manager software, v1.110 - I was disappointed to find out it was a Windows program, but managed to dig up an old laptop.  First thing I did was read the settings and save them - but some of this stuff looks Wrong.  (Example - "LSB calibration" is 0, but "USB calibration" is 11057115.  Not sure what these are...  Also, Si5351 I2C address is set to 0xff, while there's a warning in red which says "Warning: default value:0 or 0x60".  Worrisome!

Anyway, this brings me around to:  is there a repository for knowledge about this firmware and what all the settings are?  I found a "User Manual" for version 1.072, which helped, but the pieces I am particularly interested in are either not implemented yet, or just not written about.  (Example: how is the WSPR stuff set up and used?  I would love to know!)   I've looked around hamskey.com and ubitx.net, but it's all pretty fragmented.  Failing that, can anyone point me to threads here which would help?

I suppose if I need to, I can look through the source code, but I bet other folks have gone through all this before.  :)  Did I also forget to mention that I don't have a lot of direct experience with HF rigs yet?  :) :) :) It's also complicated by the fact that I live smack in the middle of San Francisco with all the noise that entails, so even with the antenna I've got set up (20m EFHW) I can't hear a lot

Thanks in advance,

+jeff AJ6IY

Ted

Yes, direct langage toward setting parameters for WSPR mode in TX would be fantasmic.  I'm home on surgical recovery and will be restricted to brain exercise only ( as opposed to tower reconstruction)  and so now's a good time to play with it.

-ted

Don - KM4UDX

Jeff -- the doc is "distributed".  Meaning it is a wild wild West situation. Google search seems the only (poor) tool to identify CEC-related  doc, vids, discussions. But others know better and someone is always able to say...oh that file is here in location XYZ, obviously.

I took the MM displayed values as exactly reflecting current config parameters.  While simple, having a semi-gui interface to uBITX parameters is heavenly. To be able to read,c  write, reboot, observe/play, then repeat as necessary, was a revelation.

On WSPR, you might want to read up on the WSJTX doc describing the WSJTX freq calibration procedures.  These process within wsjtx are the most wicked clever bits of code/processes i've ever encountered. Yes, I don't get out much. Hahah.  The CEC software essentially implements a short hand version of the same process in WSJTX. So, if you understand how WSJTX does it, you will be most likely be able to figure out how CEC does it.

Don
Km4udx

Ashhar Farhan

You have the K8CEC website itself anf the github repo with sufficient documentation. Additonally, ubitx.net offers a more narrational form of documentation.

On Sun 22 Sep, 2019, 8:53 PM Ted via Groups.Io, <k3rta=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, direct langage toward setting parameters for WSPR mode in TX would be fantasmic.  I'm home on surgical recovery and will be restricted to brain exercise only ( as opposed to tower reconstruction)  and so now's a good time to play with it.

-ted

riz-qcx@...

Thanks to all who responded - I hope I didn't come off as complaining.  This is a fantastic little radio (which I'm looking forward to tinkering with, as microcontroller stuff is right up my alley!), and the amount of stuff which folks have gotten it to do is nothing short of mindblowing!  I feel like I should have bought two, though, as I'm much bolder about my experimentation when a  mistake isn't likely to shut me down for a few weeks.  :) :) :)  This hobby is mostly about tinkering for me;  I don't own any other HF radios capable of transmitting (well, except this 20-meter QCX kit which I'm still in the process of troubleshooting...) so until I get this unit up and running I'm going to be off the air.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something; I've definitely had the experience in the electronics world of struggling over weeks and months to learn something only to discover I'd been Googling wrong.  :) :) :)

Mark Hatch

Jeff does have a point. And as Don pointed out, it is a wild-wild-west situation with info actually in four places:
  1. KD8CEC website
  2. ubitx.net
  3. This group
  4. Ubitx groups (there are 2) on facebook...
Yes, google is your friend, *if* people believe that KD8CEC has become the default for GUI user interface, then even Google has a hard time sorting things out.

For example, the 5" Nextion file on KD8CEC's site is just the 2.8" screen, and doesn't fill the screen. The 5" screen on ubitx.net is also a resized version. The best (because I wrote it ;-) ) sits on the groups.io file section. But there is at least one more 5" screen that I am aware of that was crafted but I have lost the pointer...

Although only Ian can answer, it is my impression, from the lack of activity on the KD8CEC software, that he has moved on to other projects. We owe him a debt to get us this point. But we are now on our own....

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Herman Scheper

You all have  a lot of points!!!

Now I learned about Mark’s 5” Nextion version…first thing I did was downloading it….Testing next week because my Raduino is ‘passed away’ a few days ago.

Farhan sent me a new one !

My fault!!

Hope It will be better than the version I use now…

73

Herman

PA0BAB

[...]

Mark,

Is your softWare written for the 5”Nextion Enhanced version…?

i HOPE SO.

Herman PA0BAB