Topics

Project : Ubitx go box with batteries (topic will be updated upon works done)

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

In fact with 3 cells in serie you can go down up to 9v normally. For now with 3s4p and making Ft8 and wspr since 2 evenings I'm at 12.1v so I guess the capacity is quite good.

Yes you're right about the BMS. Not already installed because waiting for receiving it. But it's a must have!
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Frank Dinger , EI7KS

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 09:50 AM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
I'll make a 3S battery pack (3x 4.2V fully charged, so 12.6V), and I've ordered 3300 mAh cells. I'm thinking about making a 3S4P battery pack, so the capacity will be 13200 mAh.
Lithium-Ion batteries have a voltage operating range of 4.2V (fully charged) down to 2.8V  , hence 1.4V.
 Question : would 3x2.8V= 8.4V be adequate to operate the Ubitx ?

If not I would suggest you use 4 sets of (parallel) cells in series . This would give an operating voltage range of  16.8 V - 11.2V , hence 5.7V    , assuming 16.8 V is acceptable for the complete radio .

Also ensure that you use  a max voltage equalising circuit to prevent overcharging of any of the cells being charged as part of the pack.

FYI : Chinese on-line retailers can supply (low cost) compact 18650 battery holders for either 1 or 4 cells permitting cells to be flipped-in (hence no soldering or spot welding)  These holders also enable easy cell replacement .

I have recovered good cells (capacity checked) from discarded laptop battery packs .
When a laptop pack is no longer usable for its intended purpose , often only 1 of the usually 6 cells is no longer OK , but the others still are.

Frank   ,    EI7KS

Olivier Grand

Nice job Adrien !
73's Olivier

Le dim. 15 sept. 2019 à 22:31, Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...> a écrit :
So, my uBitx is almost finished !

I haven't made some QSO for now, but I tested it like a WSPR beacon and it's OK (6800km of report max).

Here some views of the beast :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

So, my uBitx is almost finished !

I haven't made some QSO for now, but I tested it like a WSPR beacon and it's OK (6800km of report max).

Here some views of the beast :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA
https://www.qrz.com/db/F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Hi !

My project is on the way and I should receive my ubitx maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, I've built the battery pack :

It's finally a 3S4P battery pack, from lithium 18650 cells. I didn't receive yet the BMS so the bare wires are "normal" for now.

All has been soldered with my DIY soldering unit for batteries. You can find more informations about that here : http://www.tobeca.fr/f4ija/doku.php?id=other:soldering
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

I'm actually working on the PCB to add the AGC mod and also a Smeter for my uBitx.

I've choosen the VK2ETA AGC mod and the KD8CEC Smeter.

Here is my schematic made with Kicad and the board which will be 85x40mm :

You can find details on my wiki here http://www.tobeca.fr/f4ija/doku.php?id=ubitx:agcsmeter
--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

In fact, after some researches, it's not that easy to find a cookie box which match with my needs.

So, I finally plan to 3d print the side of the complete box (in black) and machine some Dibond sheets (3mm thick, 2 sheets of aluminium of about 0.5mm and inside a core of PE plastic).

The top will be all removable once opened.

The box will be as small as possible and resistant with the 3d printed parts, en-sandwiched with the Dibond sheets.

Here are some pictures of the box :

--
73's
Adrien F4IJA

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

OK, seems quite similar. I'll test it before !

Vince Vielhaber

The one I got also measured current and had a bezel. In the pic at this listing it's the "Blue + Red".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173133930221

I ended up with a useless hole in the panel, not a big deal tho, I was experimenting with the panel layout so I just put a piece of tape over the hole.

Vince.

On 08/29/2019 02:37 PM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
BTW : do you have the reference of the one who caused you problem? I
didn't answer your question : it's an add-on like this one

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33051924559.html

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

BTW : do you have the reference of the one who caused you problem? I didn't answer your question : it's an add-on like this one

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33051924559.html

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Thanks Vince for the advice. I'll check it before!

Vince Vielhaber

Is the power supply display part of the power supply or is it an add on? If it's an add on, hook it up BEFORE you cut the hole in the panel for it. I had one set up and it was so noisy, my bitx40 was unusable.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/29/2019 11:17 AM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
Hi everyone !

Here is the first version of the front end plate for the rig :

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

And also, a small keyer for CW. It's designed to be 3D printed. I've took some ideas from AngelDMercedes : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3063277

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Hi everyone !

Here is the V1 of the front end plate :

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

Dexter that was jus a remark of Olivier. He thinks the Nextion is very convinient to use and that I should consider it in my setup.

For now I will stick with the stock LCD and will change it if I feel the need :-)

73 de F4IJA

Dexter N Muir

Anglais aussi, peut-être? (Français de lycée, 50 ans passé) :)

73 de ZL2DEX

Olivier Grand

et bien tant pis; c'est pourtant bien pratique
73 Olivier

Le mer. 28 août 2019 à 17:29, Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...> a écrit :
OK Thx Olivier,

I don't think I'll want to use for now the spectrum nor the CW decode (I'm currently learning hard CW as I 'm a new ham and I hop to be ear ready in about a year!)

So I' ll continue on the standard 16x02 for now.

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>

OK Thx Olivier,

I don't think I'll want to use for now the spectrum nor the CW decode (I'm currently learning hard CW as I 'm a new ham and I hop to be ear ready in about a year!)

So I' ll continue on the standard 16x02 for now.

Olivier Grand

Ici Londres ! les Francais parlent aux Francais.
Another advantage using the nextion display is the spectrum analyser and the morse code reader (using the second Arduino for the standalone analyser) but by the way using a 2.8" model you will need tooth picks, specially during SOTA in winter Hi !
the 2.8" model is à relatively low consumption device I dont' really mesured the difference with a 16X02 or 20X04 but I think it's quite the same.
I've built another uBitx V5 with a 3.2" nextion screen feeded by the Raduino and the 7805 with a small heatsink is OK.
Regards
Olivier

Le mer. 28 août 2019 à 10:35, Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...> a écrit :
Salut Olivier,

Thank you for those informations (frenchies talking to each other in english, is kinda fun !)

So, that's quite interesting the running time you have. With that information, I think I should go for example with 3S2P to have extended autonomy, but 3S4P seems to be really overkill, even if you plan to go for 1 week SOTA without recharging, which will ne be my case (just one day session most, maximum a WE with other activities than radio too).

Another question : what do you think about the Nextion LCD ? In fact I'm thinking beetween two things :

My point is what are the benefits of the Nextion LCD, beside the comfort of use and ergonomy of menus. Also it's fancy and cool with that display ! Does it have other things you can't do with the basic LCD ?

Adrien F4IJA <adrien.grelet@...>