Topics

Newby - uBitx powers on but no Rx

adrianabshire@...

I’m a definite newby to all of this.  I have two uBitx radios and both pretty much do the same thing.
I get power to the radio - LED display lights up and shows the display correctly.  If I plug in a speaker (using a guitar amp for testing) I get some static and when I run the channels up/down I can hear some hissing and other noises.
I believe I have wired the radio up correctly and have a 20-meter J-Pole antenna (not hung in a tree yet) that is extended out on the floor in the room.  Not sure how to really test that the radio will receive - I will wait to receive something before transmitting.  Is there an app or program that would show me chatter on a particular 20-meter station so I know exactly which frequency to put in? I’m new here so my knowledge of the lingo (both HAM and electrical) is limited but I’m learning tons every day!  Thanks for such a great forum!

Lawrence Galea

Just for testing if you plug in a piece of wire, the longer the better, to the antenna scket you should hear some signals on one frequency or another.
Try different bands and see if you can receive anything.
The lower frequency bands are better at night.
Regards
Lawrence

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 2:14 PM <adrianabshire@...> wrote:
[...]

Clark Martin

If you are in or near the US, try tuning in WWV on any of it’s frequencies.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jul 4, 2019, at 5:14 AM, adrianabshire@... wrote:

[...]
_._,_._,_

Curt

Try some headphones,  and look for signals on both 20 and 40 meters. Tune slowly. The receive audio isn't robust, which is why I suggest headphones. Also possible BFO calibration is way off. But try some more first.

Curt

Nigel G4ZAL

Make sure the speaker connector on your guitar amp is using a 3 pole stereo plug and not a 2 pole mono plug.
It has been known that using a 2 pole connector can damage the rig.

Nigel - G4ZAL

Evan Hand

adrianabshire,

First off, can you tell us the version that you have?  It is printed on the board.

Second, I would first verify that the RF sections are working to some extent.  That is easiest done by connecting and disconnecting a long wire to the antenna connection.  You should hear a distinct change in noise level.  Very quiet without the antenna, and loud hissing with it.

If that tests works, then it is most likely an alignment issue.  Here it is very important that we know which version you have as the newest version will go into transmit mode during calibration.

Try the above and get back to us with the results and the version number.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Hi,

Are they powering on to RX or TX?  Unless you have the CW resistors installed on the KEY jack, the radio will power up on TX.

73,

 Mark.